UFC 113

Discussion in 'Fight Discussions' started by AndrewTheAndroid, May 10, 2010.

1. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

What an embarrassment. Yikes...

2. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

Although I really like Machida I was happy to see Rua put him away, and so swiftly... he deserved it.

the rest of the card was a bit meh.

3. Ranzan

Ranzan Valued Member

Koscheck vs. Daley was a disgrace

4. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

I kinda feel bad for Daley. He clearly should've either finished it during the fight and put it to bed then and/or just controlled himself better after the match... but I bet my left nut that Koscheck would have been deserving of it. He's been practically devoid of all class since day one.

Does anyone know what he was supposed to have said? He didn't reveal it himself in the post fight press converence... which is pretty telling.

5. AndyCTB

AndyCTB Valued Member

I'm happy for Shogun Rua for his win. He clearly won the first encounter and was robbed!

6. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

I thought the whole event was great. Some superb fights. Stephens/Stout, Belcher/Cote especially. Yes the Daley/Kos fight wasn't great but I was still glued to the screen due to the build up, just annoyed Daley will neer have a chance for revenge now, what an idiot.

And as to the main event, wow! Great first bit of action (with some of the best use of half guard to espape the bottom I have ever ever seen, if more strikers could develop those skills wrestlers wouldn't be half so dominent!) followed by one of the most perfect finishs I've ever seen. Completely clinical, and stopping and gettig up before the ref even got there, martial arts at the highest level.

We always knew he oculd be one of the greatest of all time, he's well on the way to achieving it!

7. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I agree, Koscheck has no class, he showed it on TUF, and he still shows it now. What Daley did was understandable but wrong, no need to kick him out of the UFC for that though.

8. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

Yes if it were any other sport, Daley would just get a fine and a short suspention, but White has to everything he can to keep the media off of his back and keep the image of the sport clean.

9. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

I enjoyed all the fights. As for the punch after the bell, I thought that was hilarious!

What was going on with that phantom knee though.. Was a bit unfortunate that my man Machida lost, Rua is a total beast!

V. Worthy Champ.

10. nicolethai1

nicolethai1 Valued Member

Yes, but how come Dana is not so zealous when it comes to drug issues...those caught taking steroids etc (including belt holders such as Sean Sherk) just take a convenient "break" from the Octagon (during which time, what has happened is never mentioned or referred to by UFC commentators), then return and get an immediate defence of their belt.

In other sports, these would get a lifetime suspension.

Koscheck is a cheat (I'm sure something similar to the knee incident happened recently) and was raining down insults in the final round, so Daley's actions, whilst still wrong, were not unprovoked. I think a short suspension/fine would have been much more appropriate. And isn't there any case for disqualifying Koscheck for feigning the injury?

11. jh1

jh1 Valued Member

Yet Dana White did not kick out Lesnar for his actions when he beat Mir, nor did he throw out Mir for saying wants Lesnar to be the first person to die in the octagon. I guess all that is ok? If Dana White wants to maintain class in the UFC he has to address all issues equally.

12. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Remember Daley isn't exactly the same ppv drawing name as other people he's let off and also remember it wasnt too long ago strikeforce had their brawl and I reckon that played a big factor. One, the sport is under more scrutiny possibly after that and also White ripped Strikeforce for letting it happen so he had no choice but to come down as hard as possible on Daley.
    That being said, I'm disgusted by Daley not least since he was really the UK's best prospect but mainly just 'cos that isn't what mma's about and since the sportsmanship is something I love about martial arts its a pretty big thing for me to punch someone after the fight. Anyone except Kos and I would agree with the ban.

Incidentally is anything happening about Kos clearly faking the knee?

13. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

it wasnt too long ago strikeforce had their brawl and I reckon that played a big factor

If that's a factor why is Dana White chasing Jake Shields (one of the main instigators)?

14. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Because signing a name with a bad past from a previous org is better than keeping one around after you just ripped crap into a rival company for the same thing?
    Plus Jake Shields is getting too be a pretty big name and I'd say a bigger one than Daley.

I dont know really but in both actions it looks to me that White's doing what's best for business but the ban might be dropped. Dana banned him straight after the ppv which is the same time he said he'd relegate Silva to a UC slot.

15. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Good fights. Rua just mauled Machida. Ouch.

What is with all the people thinking about what Dana White does?! Come on... he's first and foremost a businessman... so he plays as it comes. This isn't some fairy icecream castle land where everything is fair and even steven. It's the fight business. Sheesh.

16. Eclectic_Fist

Eclectic_Fist Valued Member

I thought it was a pretty good card.

Belcher/Cote - Good
    Slice/Mitrione- I was surprised at the slams, but I think kimbo's cardio is going to be issue for a long time.
    Stephens/Stout- Great fight. It went somewhat I thought it would. Stephens is a bad dude, but I noticed the technique was getting him picked apart. His power was a big asset though. I don't have anything against the decision.
    Lol at Tom "Dan Severn" Lawlor. I think he's cutting too much weight though.
    As for the main event: Shogun won fair and square. I was a bit surprised how quickly Machida got put away, but what's done is done. I think the style nuthuggery that could come from the result is going to get under my skin for a long time though (And I'm not a karateka lol).

17. eltgire

eltgire New Member

I agree with everything. I've seen Belcher's last 3 fights and he looks better every fight, though I can't see him beating Anderson. The Stephens/Stout fight was a lot of fun. Kimbo missed his window for MMA. He has arthritis in his knee and that alone will cause him to consistently lose fights. I think Koscheck is an a-hole and I've never liked him, but he plays the heel perfectly. I'll be watching TUF next season just to see if he can get into GSP's head. The Lawlor fight was great. He reminded me of Daniel Day Lewis for some reason. I had a blast watching the older guys go at it.

I am a karateka and I'm not at all looking forward to the Muy Thai>Karate garbage I'm going to be getting for a while. Oh well. :rolleyes:

18. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

So many things to go over. I'll leave Rua and Machida to the thread dedicated to just them.

Y O Y did Semtax do that? He was the best trash talker in MMA bar none. He is one of the few fighters who I can honestly say his talk hypes me up beyond just his fighting style. Not to mention he's a great fighter. Been watching him since Cage Rage days.

Ok, yes Daley shouldn't have done that but a lifelong ban. I just don't agree. If the UFC truly is the premiere show for the best it mustn't impose rules that obstruct the best fighters from fighting each other. If Daley's poor judgement and bad attitude are his downfall let him fall on his own sword. Let the local commission do its job and suspend him. Dana I think overstepped his boundary and set a bad precedent.

Belcher got away with a head spike.

http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=LearnUFC.Rules

18. Spiking an opponent to the canvas on his head or neck

Look at that. I pasted it after the link to emphasis. Look. It doesn't say its ok to spike someone's head unless its a piledriver. It doesn't say it's ok to spike someone's head at a 50 degree angle or 90 degree angle. It just says that it is a foul to spike an opponent on his head.

I am tired as hell of seeing guys suddenly fade after someone spike's them at a questionable angle. If it's accidental fine just let the guy who got spiked time to recover. I mean its a fight things happen. But this is one of the most important rules making our sport safer than boxing.

Belcher is an awesome fighter but that fight was 50/50 til Cote got his head spiked. Somebody's has got to step up and clarify that rule. And for once I think we need to err on the side of safety and at least give fighters some rest time from an accidental head slam.

19. eltgire

eltgire New Member

I remember Rogan saying that because cote's face hit first it was not a head spike, though I'm not sure how that's any better. It was pretty rough to say the least.

20. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

Isn't the face part of the head?