UFC 100

Discussion in 'Fight Discussions' started by callsignfuzzy, Jul 6, 2009.

1. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

That technique was a standing switch, more commonly found in Western wrestling. It's not very relavent to his ground-fighting game. It's not like Marquardt had mount and suddenly found himself on his back because Silva used a tricky BJJ maneuver befitting a black belt rank.

To be fair, Marquardt made the mistake of rolling onto his back instead of scrambling to his feet. He was still on his knees, and had that option, and against most other fighter, could probably have survived with 20 or so seconds left in the round.

But the context I was refering to was strict ground grappling. Silva just locks down and tries to strike. He doesn't actually move very much on the ground, doesn't go for sweeps or reversals, which is why someone with good top control and guard passes (read: GSP) could give him some trouble.

2. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Let's just have a look at some of those sources:

MaxG - first source is from a "drug free" promotional organisation and their reference is the National Institute for Drug Abuse. Slightly biased source there?!?
    The second article is a poorly referenced review which although makes some good points it basically says "reports say that steroids may have an effect on everything" without directly referencing anything. It's basically a medical doctor's skim-read negative review.

What I was trying to get at originally with the steroids comment is that roids are not a direct cause for a "rage" - they may have some effect but it is not a direct cause. Then again, you could say the same thing for a number of things - caffeine, bad driving, red meat, adrenaline, bad day at work. All could arguably have more of an affect on "rage" than roids could. This article nicely illustrates the reliance the effect could have on placebo (inc. references to relevant journals):

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sex_news_sports_funny_grok/cyborg_21

Another:

http://www.bodybuildingweb.net/blog/roid-rage-real-myth/

As far as I am concerned it's pure cop-out to blame anything on "roid rage" as they do not have pharmaceutical effects on behaviour. If you choose to be more aggressive then that is your problem. Testosterone may up-regulate vasopressin pathways that are linked directly to aggression but it doesn't cause aggressive behaviour, only personal choices can do that.

cloudz - you seem to be agreeing with me somewhat but taking taking it further than I would. Yes they may have an effect but to the point where it can tip somebody over the edge? I don't think so and again I refer you back to the referenced studies on how heavily the effect of steroids can be down to placebo.

BACK ON TOPIC!

Lesnar did those things not because of steroids but because he is a dunce who likes to be seen as the bad boy rebel rather than trying to win the equally stupid booing crowd over. Even if he was on steroids then it would be far more likely to be down to the thousands of people booing him and the fact he had just been in one of the most physically stressful situations a man can endure rather than the good old "roid rage" that people always point to.

By the way - again I'm not actually pro-steroids and do not/would not take them unless deemed medically necessary.

3. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

off topic (sorry)

Ad McG,

do you think it has any effect on inhibitions, say like alcahol ?

We do generally agree, yes. These things may not be the cause of anger, but do they effect us in ways that may effect our brain chemistry as to loosen our control mechanisms resulting in anger levels/rage that is out of character/ not normal for that person ?

Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  4. Labianca

Labianca Moving On

Perspective:

People are concerned about Lesnar's commentary and middle finger usage.

People are not concerned about watching, supporting and broadcasting the most violent sport in the world.

Ok, I can deal with both, but to complain about the first within the context of the second is hypocrisy or illogical. "Sportsmanship" when your goal is to submit or KO your opponent is mutable. Gladiator style combat doesn't draw your academic thinkers as part of the fanbase by default and those that are drawn in are likely enthusiasts with a different paradigm.

If he likes Coors.. fine.

His wife is Rena Mero. There isn't a straight man in the world that wouldn't do the same. Had three top selling Playboy magazines in the last 15 years.

Lets get over it. He ****ed off a sponsor, got spoken to and at the end of the day made the UFC a lot of money present and future. It's likely the highest grossing MMA event in the next 3 years will be Lesnar vs. Lashley or another former Pro Wrestler. Sad but true.

A

5. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Comparing the inhibition destroying properties of alcohol to any mental effect of steroids is like comparing a pneumatic drill to a pin hammer - the pin hammer will have some effect but it is negligible and is nowhere near as potent as the drill.