Typhoon

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by ap Oweyn, Nov 8, 2013.

1. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Off topic, but urgent:

Can we get a check in from our brothers and sisters in the Philippines? Everyone faring okay over there?

Shooto? Anyone else? Let us know all's (relatively) well with you and yours.

2. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Damn didn't know about this.

Hope everyone is doing alright over there.

3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Currently the topic for dicussion in the office today.

Thinking of you guys.

4. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Aye, the storm looks pretty brutal, hope everyone's OK

5. blindside

blindside Valued Member

I was watching landfall last night, looks damn scary.

6. Citom

Citom Witless Wonder

Looks like Metro Manila at least was spared... My parents and other family members in Manila are safe and sound.

7. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Thanks for letting us know. That's good to hear, my friend.

8. kuntaoer

kuntaoer Valued Member

Just heard from Mimi Tortal who is GM Nene's daughter.. She said that the storm passed through bacolod with damage and no water or electricity.. Family is good and nothing serious other than no power and water.. Communication is with updates on FB with cellphone, so batteries are a life line

9. ryan4nayr

ryan4nayr New Member

I have family in Manila as well, one in particular was on a business trip in Cagayan de Oro (northern Mindanao, in south Phils.). His return flight was miraculously on-time.

From various video newscasts online, looks like the cell phone towers are faring well but (not surprisingly) the power grid is still not 100% due to soaked equipment. The sooner the roadways get cleared, the faster that aid can get to the people, and the faster that corpses can be taken care of.

10. lawin

lawin Valued Member

Very sad for the people in leyte samar tacloban. Estimated 10k dead. Im from northern negros. Quite thankful the storm was not strongly felt in our area. A lot of felled trees and houses destroyed.

11. shootodog

shootodog restless native

Thank you for checking up on us. Leyte, Capiz, and Palawan are hard hit. Tacloban City looks like they've been bombed to oblivion. Ormoc as well. No electricity. No food. No water. Many dead are strewn on the ground or still floating in the bay.

Some of my friends were on the C130 that have gone to Leyte. Some are setting up the staging area in Cebu.

Give what you can, if you can. Every little bit helps.

12. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Whew. Good to hear from you, my friend. Was beginning to get concerned.

I've been hearing the news from Tacloban. Sounds unbelievably grim. On a positive note, I know that a local FMA group rallied the day after the typhoon and did an impromptu seminar to raise funds for relief efforts. I wasn't able to make it, but it was inspiring to see how quickly they mobilized.

13. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

Had my phone call request from the Red Cross just now. I'm currently unemployed but I gave what I could.

14. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Glad to hear you're ok Shooto. I was reading news stories about the situation and MAP during one of my breaks at work. I was wondering where you were. Next time I checked MAP...you posted!

Magic I say!

15. Peter Lewis

Peter Lewis Matira Matibay

Just made contact with GM Yuli Romo. While he was spared the destructive power of the typhoon, his brother, GM Boy Romo was less lucky and has lost his home to the storm! Please spare a thought and a prayer for all the people suffering there and give generously to help them if you can!

PUGAY!

16. shootodog

shootodog restless native

It has been a tough year for my Philippines. Typhoons, earthquakes, armed insurrection in Zamboanga...and now Yolanda/Haiyan. The filipinos are a tough people. We are also grateful for any help that is extended to us.

God bless you.