types of pushups

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Grifter, Jul 1, 2003.

1. Jazman

Jazman New Member

btw, how many pounds/kilograms is a stone? pgm, I probably weigh a bit over 14 stone and I can manage 10 one handed pushups, all it take is work and learning the balance...

oh, and dred leviathon, if I go up by 2s I usually tend to add weight to my back or just go up higher. Of course I also do about 4 types of pushups so it gets tons harder, all in all I'm sure I dont "miss" all those extra pushups... ;)

2. movado

movado New Member

my sensei could do 200 fingertip push ups.i broke his record by doing 225 once.i consistently did 200 almost on every day of the week.did this gruelling routine for several months and then just gradually,slowly but surely became bored of the monotony.
    so i went back to using push up bars and doing my push ups on a high decline angle.usually having my feet propped up on a chair,the sofa or even a bathtub.i use either push up bars or do these decline pushups with the fingertips because either one of these methods enables extra range of motion which is highly beneficial for punch strike techniques.also a good workout in general.
    also,used to do two finger push ups(thumb&index) on one hand but found them to be alot more for showing off and temporarily boosting the ego than for really getting in a meaningfull workout.
    i concluded that tricks are for kids but real workouts are for real warriors.

3. Cain

Cain New Member

......still have to reach 100.....

((((Must.....get.... lazy a$$ off .....chair and..... practise........aaarrrrrggggghhhhhhh!!!)))

|Cain|

4. TheGingerNinja

TheGingerNinja New Member

Does anyone know the average number of normal presups for a 16 year old.

Just out of interest this is cos my personal best is 125 which cant be bad. And i dont stick my **** up into the air like some people. I dop them properly lol. I think part of the reason me being quite strong is Muay Thai cos my trainer works us VERY hard!

In fact my muay thai trainer is a former world champion which is quite nice. Andy pandy is on these forums and he goes to the same place as i do. Just so u know :)
    He got attacked a while bk now by Four People. All his size

He took them ALL on and beat them!, muay thai is very practical in self defence! Trust me/us/him

5. tom pain

tom pain I want Chewbacc for good

I'm 16 and can do 30........but I don't do martial arts - though I've started working out more often at home as explained in a thread I posted earlier.

So yeah - 125 is well above decent :cool:

6. Kalifallen

Kalifallen looking for partner

Um, there is no average number for any age group, but I'd say the average preson, who doesn't workout that much a week, is about 20. What can you say? People don't workout that much.
    Anyway, doing over 100 is great, whether it is a total of what you did from reps/sets or did it straight through to 100. I, myself, can only do about 25 straight through but can do about 60 if I add in reps/sets.
    I usually just do standarded, fist, knuckle, finger tips, dimond, lincline, arms out wide for the back, and vertical/handstand, but I usually just do a hold instead of a push-up because I can't do many for some reason. I mean, I can do at least 15 pull-ups but can't do more than 2 vertical push-ups.

7. lisako

lisako New Member

not tried them but love off centre press ups,one arm under shoulder and other about 2 hands behind get legs as wide as you can more balance[/I]

8. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Important point. Practically every 16 year old kid does pushups, but very few of them use the right form. The commonest form error is sagging the hips down- it makes the exercise 90% easier, which is exactly what you don't want.

9. Bruce_Wee

Bruce_Wee New Member

keep the whole body straight, squeeze your butt, tense your abs and lower back.

10. Hapkido

Hapkido New Member

i cant/dont know how to balance for a one handed pushup. try vertical pushups though, thats like military benching your weight. i can do 5 or so of those but its hard to balance

11. glenchuy

glenchuy has two left feet

is this the same as the diamond push-ups?

12. Athleng Nordic

Athleng Nordic Sadly passed away. RIP. Supporter

13. Katakana

Katakana New Member

When you are doing push ups. What is important to keep in mind.

For example:

do you gain mass ?
    How much a day ?
    What muscle are you training, bicep triceps shoulders ?
    Is it from importants to train the back also ?

:confused:

Last edited: Feb 7, 2007
  14. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

The thing to focus on rather than the amount of pushups you do is correct form. if you can do a hundred pushups, and none of them are done properly then you aren't benefiting from the exercise.

Begin with small sets and work up for a few days before you increase your number. This conditions your muscles, ligaments and tendons and prepares them for overload. Always try to give yourself a day of rest in between a good push up workout for recovery. Your muscle fibers need to repair themselves before you tear them again or you're defeating the purpose.

While performing pushups you incorporate several different muscle groups. You can isolate these by changing your hand position. Once you've worked on regular pushups for a while...change it up each session by doing wide arm pushups and close hand pushups. As you move your hand position out, you start to work your chest more. As you move them in, until they are touching, you focus more on arms and triceps. Keeping the hands wide works the pectoralis muscles, increasing your strength and endurance. Also you have a shorter distance to lower yourself when you do "wide arms" ;)

You can focus your training on endurance and strength. If you want to focus on strength, you can do weighted push ups. This increases resistance but you won't be able to do as many reps at first. For endurance, start with sets of 25 or so. Give yourself a brief break between sets, and do as many sets as you can. When you can't get 25 any more drop to 15 and keep going. When you can't hit 15, drop to 10s or even 5s. This is sort of the same principle as doing drop sets in the weight room on the bench press.

The actual motion of the pushup trains the chest, triceps and the anterior deltoids, while stretching the biceps and back. Pushups are considered to be the best all round chest workout.

I've read that doing pushups in a high-repetition workout, can increase human growth hormone, boosting overall muscle growth

15. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

in order:

Yes, but limited... the resistance does not increase so the body does not need to adapt and grow after a while.

Any amount; a person who can do 100 pushups will have no significant mass over the guy who can do 50. More push ups = more pushups, not more size.

Primary: Pecs, Delts, triceps
    Assisting: Lats, biceps, traps

It is important to work the whole body, even more so if your doing endless sit ups as you will create posture problems. Its all about balance.

16. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

can i have a link to this article, i would love to read it... :confused:
    i think you are confused with squats due to the size of the muscles involved (glutes, hams and quads being the biggest in the body)

17. Katakana

Katakana New Member

I'm doing now 2 weeks of push ups I can do 25 push ups and then 1 minute breake and do it again. After that I can reach 15 push ups 3 times (1 minute breake)then 4 times times 10 push ups with 25 sec breake.

What push ups I do.

-normal push up(check the line's above)
    -push up with claps (15 times x 2 with 25sec breake)
    -push ups with hands against each other (15 times x 2 with 25 sec breake)

I doing this now so far with the push ups, I would like the other sections that are from importants if I do push up.
    Is it then recommended to train the torse (upper body)???

For exmaple:

I have weights of 0,5 kilograms, I heared I could use those to train the back.
    And then what about the abs.

I just train it 5 times a week with 3 to 5 min a day.

Also running 1 to 2 times a week.

So hear you read what I do with the push ups.
    Need some help because only training push ups and you created and inbalance and that is what I don't wanna have.

Hope you guys can help me more with this.
    :confused:

Last edited: Feb 7, 2007
  18. flaming

flaming Valued Member

can you do pullups?

Currently I do weighted pullups and pushups, practicing handstand aswell. Will I get a imbalance?

19. straightline

straightline Valued Member