types of pushups

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Grifter, Jul 1, 2003.

1. Grifter

Grifter Edited by White Wizard

What are the different types of pushs up?? I saw somebody talking about seiken pushups and polymetric pushups. would somebody please explain to me the different types of pushups??
    THANKS

2. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

On the fist, which in japanese is "seikan"

Plyometric (not polymetric) - done explosively, with a clap or jump where you explode of the floor.

There are all sorts of variations on pushups based of hand positioning & angles (of your arm, decent/accent, body (inclined) ), one arm/ two arm

3. dredleviathan

dredleviathan New Member

OK some variations for you that include plyometirc variety! I got this from a website to which I have lost the link so apologies if your recongnize it!

Pushups

Grips

1. Narrow grip: Hands spaced so that in the down position, the thumbs touch the outer edge of the pectoral muscles. This grip helps to strengthen the triceps and the inner pectoral muscles.

2. Medium grip: Hands spaced about 1.5 hands width wider than the narrow grip. This grip helps to strengthen the medial pectoral muscles.

3. Wide grip: Hands spaced about 3 hands width wider than the narrow grip. This grip helps to strengthen the outer pectoral muscles.

Exercises

1. Diamond: Thumbs touch each other and index fingers touch each other. Scrapper does a variation on this in which the hands make a W (i.e. thumbs touch in the middle) that has the same effect but gives an easier angle

2. Fingers outward: An extra wide grip is taken with the fingers
    facing outward.

3. Clapping: Medium grip used with enough force generated to raise you in the air and clap hands in the up position. For added difficulty, clap twice. For extreme difficulty, clap hands behind back.

4. Hopping: Medium grip used with enough force generated to lift both hands off the ground in the up position.

5. Hopping in and out: Narrow grip used with enough force generated to lift both hands off the ground in the up position and change hand position to a wide grip upon landing. Following repetition permits individual to return to the original position. You can draw a line on the ground & each repetition must allow both hands to completely cross the line.

6. Knuckle: Medium grip used with knuckles making contact with the ground instead of the palm. This permits individual to achieve a longer range of motion. Knuckels can face forward or to the side.

7. Fingertip: Medium grip used with fingertips making contact with the ground instead of the palm. This permits individual to achieve a longer range of motion.

8. Dands (aka Yoga or Seal): Start from the downward dog position. Bend arms tolower torso then push up into the upward dog position. Reverse to return to starting position.

9. One arm narrow: Spread feet wide and place one arm on ground near chest to form a tripod.

10. One arm Demi Moore: Spread feet wide and place one arm on ground several inches from chest with fingers facing inward to form a tripod. Demonstrated by Demi Moore in “GI Jane.”

11. Jailhouse (aka handstand): Rise into supported handstand using medium grip. Lower body until head touches ground then push back up to starting position. Step aerobic risers may be used for maximum extension. This exercise focuses on the deltoids.

12. Girlie: Use any grip while performing pushups on knees instead of feet. This exercise helps to achieve maximum burn after regular exercises have been maxxed out.

13. Reverse: Face away from a bench with heels on the ground and hands on the bench, fingers facing towards your feet. This exercise focuses on the triceps.

Angles of attack (for us FMA practitioners)

With the exception of the yoga, girlie, handstand, and reverse pushups, all may be performed at the following angles:

1. Level: Hands and feet are at the same horizontal plane. Strengthens the medial pectoral muscles.

2. Incline: Hands are at a higher horizontal plane than the feet.
    Strengthens the lower pectoral muscles. This is the easiest angle from which to train.

3. Decline: Hands are at a lower horizontal plane than the feet.
    Strengthens the upper pectoral muscles. This is the most difficult
    angle from which to train.

Happy blasting,

Dred

4. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

oh that link dredleviathan is http://muaythai.freeservers.com/sakitrain1.htm

,, and more from me!! :)

1. Standard
    2. finger tip
    3. two fingers
    4. knuckle (use first two knuckles)
    5. on back of wrists/hands with fingers pointing away from you, to the front
    6. on back of wrists/hands with fingers pointing inward towards each other
    7. on back of wrists/hands with fingers pointing towards you, to the back
    8. on back of wrists/hands with fingers pointing outward
    9. Feet on wall pushups. Feet are pressed against wall about two feet from floor height
    10. Arched up pushups. Like chinese pushups, but hands form a triangle which you try to touch your nose in.
    11. Handstand pushups. Use wall to keep balance.
    12. Plyometric pushups
    13. Clapping pushups
    14. One hand pushups
    15. Korean pushups. With feet spread wide apart and hand placed out in front so that your back is parallel with the ground, shift your body forward and down and then upward. Reverse the motion to go back.
    16. Zen pushups. Lay flat on your stomach, hands flat on floor above your head with arms slightly bent. Then push up. These are very difficult and take much practice.
    17. Wheel barrow, run & hop. Do wheel barrow with person holding your legs, resisting you as you pull yourself forward hand over hand or two handed hops.
    18. Dip chair pushups. With your body between two chairs and your hands on the chair closest to them lower yourself down and then push up. Keep leg out in front of you.
    19. Rolling knuckle pushups. Start with forearms on ground with fists pointing inward towards each other. Roll fists inward so that you end up on the first two knuckles.
    20. Boxing pushups. Alternating one arm pushups.
    21. Chinese pushups. First stand with feet shoulder with apart or less. Lean forward until your hand touch the ground while keeping legs straight. Now lower yourself and then pushup. Seems to use the shoulders quite a bit.

5. dredleviathan

dredleviathan New Member

Thank KC that's the one! Now bookmarked correctly in my files.

6. Cain

Cain New Member

Has anyone been successful with one hand push ups yet? They are DAMN difficult to do, I can barely manage one...even though I'm capable of about 40-50 push ups....

|Cain|

7. dredleviathan

dredleviathan New Member

Yep can do about 10... maybe 15 on a good day. Its all in the balance and having been exposed to the Rocky films from an early age!

Often I am most likely to demostrate these after 4 or 5 Tequilas... most recently on my 31st birthday and bestfriend's wedding (same day) - girlfriend a little dis-chuffed with me afterward but then that might have been something to do with some break dancing...

Cain - you're supposed to be a skinny bugger these should be easy for you! Like i say though its all in the balance, spreading your legs and positioning of the support arm...

... or try a few tequilas...

8. Grifter

Grifter Edited by White Wizard

Thanks for the site and list guys. And yes i can do one hand pushups but only about 3 of them.

9. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

I've never tried them...

*Bang*

We do one fingered push ups, I can do about 5-10 of those, and they're hard.

10. Cain

Cain New Member

Thanx for the info Dred, I tried to spread my legs etc, and the hand in the middle [hope thats the rite position], guess I should just push myself a bit more.....or go the easy way - Gobble up Tequilas :D

|Cain|

11. Adam

Adam New Member

Yeah, you can do a lot of exercises you normally would find impossible when plastered. Kyokushin_girl, what finger do you do it on? The thumb?

12. Cain

Cain New Member

One fingered push ups???

Tried it with the thunb once, about 5 of 'em - had to force the damn thing back into position :(

Two fingered ie forefinger and thumb are a bit better though...

|Cain|

13. Jazman

Jazman New Member

hmm... I don't think I could do one-finger pushups on any of my fingers, feels like I'm gonna break em'! (though I do prolly weigh 2 times as much a KY girl...)
    Can do 10 or so one handed pushups, not to hard once you learn how to do them...

14. booksie_girl

booksie_girl Lucy the Terrible

KickChick and dredleviathan, us explained so many pushups, but which ones would u reccomened as the most beneficial? I think there were 34 types, and it's not possible to really work on all the types, at least my fitness level says that :D

As 4 the one handed, last time I tried (about 2 weeks ago) I could do about 7 on my right and 5 on my left. The trick is to spread your feet wide, otherwise u overbalance.

As for the one fingered, which finger do u use, I agree with Jazzman, I don't think my fingers could handle it, and I'm pretty light.

Thanks

15. dredleviathan

dredleviathan New Member

Hi Booksie_girl,

Well you could of course attempt a mammouth set of 34 * 10 :p but I think that you might want to work up to it. I wasn't advocating an all-out blasting session.

Personally I do my standard push-ups in pyramid sets (a la Scrapper) i.e. 1-12-1. I sometimes vary the hand positon and my elevation just to add a bit of interest.

I also do Dands failry regularly and I think these are a great exercise for you to do. Also Diamond, W or Chinese Push-ups are excellent variants for hitting different muscle groups.

As for knuckles, fingers, back of hands and the like well I have to avoid these due to several dislocations that have happened recently. These were things that I did more when I trained at a fairly traditional Kung-Fu club and I'm not entirely certain of specific benefits.

Also I can't actually do handstand push-ups :mad:

One other thing to point out is that there are always about 5 names for the same exercise and minor variant. Its not the number of variants that you do that is important these are just to add a challenge and to inject some change into your routine.

Personally I would check out a full bodywieght workout like those made available by Scrapper:

Train for Strength

I've had some success with his workouts and the best thing is that you can do them wherever you are - which I keep telling myself each time I go away on business and come back 7 pounds heavier!

Good luck with your training,

Dred

16. Jazman

Jazman New Member

"Personally I do my standard push-ups in pyramid sets (a la Scrapper) i.e. 1-12-1. I sometimes vary the hand positon and my elevation just to add a bit of interest."

Do you go up and down in increments of 1? I found increments of 2 to be the best, when going down it allows for just the right cooldown I think, I'll have to look into scrappers workouts

17. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Same here.... "variety is the spice of life...." .... even when it comes to push ups.

I personally do the standard shoulder width, tricep/triangles, Korean or Hindu-style pushups, wide outs and the chair dips. I also change the position of my arms whilst doing the 'movement'... elbows out and then elbows in line with whole arm working more of the bicep area.

Changing up your "push ups" not only helps with boredom but each targets a muscle more than another might.

18. dredleviathan

dredleviathan New Member

I was thinking about this on the way home last night and during my workout at the gym. I forgot to mention that I also use a pwer-wheel and swiss ball in order to add other variations to the basic exercises. Essentially both of these add in the ability to work core stability. Early days for me yet but many people I know swear by these two bits of equipment.

Jazman,

I do my pyramids in increments of 1. If you do them in increments of 2 then you miss out on a whole bunch of reps.

1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12-11-10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 = 144 reps

1-3-5-7-9-11-13-11-9-7-5-3-1 = 85 reps

The other alternative method that I have heard of is called 'the ramp'. As I understand it you go from 1-12 in increments of 1 and then start back at 1 and build up to 12.

(by the way these are just example reps).

As I recall the ramp can also be used through out the day to some benefit i.e. you do your first set in the morning, second at lunchtime and third in the evening.

No doubt KC or Yoda can remind me of the details.

19. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

I struggle to, strange as I can easily get to 50/60 normal ones. Maybe being over 14stone is majing is dificult.

I will try again, I've never tried that hard to do them, I think a lot of it is technique. Try it with your legs spread wider and your body twisted to get more power in the pushing shoulder.

20. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

The pyramid method bores me a bit..... and takes too long.....

:D

At home I generally do 2 or three sets of 30, I can do over 60 in one go if pushed so its quite an easy workout, but for power it seems to be ok.