Types of fighter

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Monkey_Magic, Mar 24, 2019.

1. Monkey_Magic

Monkey_Magic Well-Known Member

I’m wondering if there are some general categories of fighter (attacking style, counter fighter, long range kicker, etc).

Do you think it’s possible to come up with a list of general types of fighter?

I’m asking because a general list could help in coming up with some generic strategies to practice (e.g. practicing closing the distance against a kicker). Obviously, this approach has its flaws. But it might be a useful tool for training strategy nonetheless.

2. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

I fall very definitely into “crap” not sure if that helps though

3. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Yes, Joe Lewis (the karate/kickboxer) broke it down in one of his books. I don't have the book myself, so I can't quote it to you. My friend has the book, and I looked at it one day. It was brilliant. Maybe you can find it. I'd tell you more, but I don't have the book myself. I can only affirm that the work has already been done for you.

4. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

There are many permutations of the main fighting styles, and a fighter may use one predominantly, but rarely exclusively.

Offensive
    Defensive
    Counter

Offensive works well against defensive
    Defensive works well against counter
    Counter works well against offensive

This is a very high level view, and it becomes more complex.

Monkey_Magic likes this.
  5. Monkey_Magic

Monkey_Magic Well-Known Member

Thanks. Would you have any idea of the book’s title? (I had a look at Joe Lewis’ books, but it wasn’t clear which included the breakdown you described.)

6. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

It's the "Official JLFS Black belt manual" required for a black belt test. It's $99 (US) on the Joe Lewis webpage, and actually, for someone who is going deep into karate/kickboxing, it's worth the money. It's a seriously good book.

Monkey_Magic likes this.