Two Sword style?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Adam, Jun 11, 2003.

1. Adam

Adam New Member

Does anyone here know how to fight with two swords simultaneously, Musashi-style? Would be rather impressive I think.

2. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

I know how with a Katana and Wakasashi, it takes alot of practice. I have a few swords but the wakasashi I use is 26' and the katana is 30' the blade.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2003
  3. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

In the FMA, we call this "siniwalli" or, occasionally, "Macabebe."

There are a few systems out there built completely around this concept. But in many of the FMA systems I've been exposed to, it is taught primarily as a coordination drill (though advanced practitioners can certainly apply it, too). And, in training, we generally use sticks ... but the concepts can be applied to swords as well.

Mike

4. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

I taught myself using my bokken.

5. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

I can fight with long sword and dagger longsword and knife longsword and shortsword and if I feel frisky twin longswords. I can also fight with sword and shield. BUt I am not the best with two weapons prefering a twohanded sword.

Note a longsword is a weapon that is designed for use of an addional hand for power but can be used single handed. it is more commonly called a b@st@rdsword.

6. Elekia

Elekia New Member

I've only fought SCA light weapons, but I can fight with two 36 inch shinais. I find it easier to fight with two rather than just a single sword.

7. Cudgel

dear 36 shinai is 44 inches

Last edited: Jun 12, 2003
  8. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

I find it very effective to use two wakasashi especially.

9. Cudgel

I have a friend who likes the fight with two knives

10. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

I thought that a "longsword" was a single handed weapon. That a b@stardsword was also known as a "hand-and-a-half sword." Of course, any weapon can be used two handed to add power. But I thought the b-sword was the hand-and-half, not a longsword. Could be mistaken, though.

Mike

11. kobudo_tob

kobudo_tob Valued Member

I went to our best museum in Leeds - The Royal Armouries. After one of the knight man-to-man combat demonstrations with what was billed as a "hand-and-a-half" sword, he opened himself up to questions. After anything had died down, I asked him rather sheepishly "is this the same as a ******* sword".

He answered "Yes, you are correct. It is also known as the longsword, broadsword and two-handed sword". That sentence kinda belittled all my knowledge I had about swords - I understood that a longsword was generally one handed etc.

But then.........something different happened.............and it kinda belitted my respect for that place. :)

12. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Well, I can fight ambi with two swords, although I prefer one sword and a knife, but they're only foam swords, although the LRP weapons do pack a fairly hefty punch.

13. Cudgel

well actually if you want to get technicle the term hand and half sword is a modern term and not historicly accurate.

b@stard swrds refer to the hilt design, that being a waisted grip and on or more finger and side rings.

Longsword ios a histracle term for the class of swords larger than a single handed sword that is designed to be used originally from horse back with a sheild and had a longer handle so the weilder could fight with both hands more comfortably.

broadsword is historicaly inacurate also being a 19th century term for all medieval swords that were broader than the dueling sword of the time the slim smallsword from whiv=ch the epee is derived from.

twohanded sword refers to sword that due to length and weight requires a twohanded grip it is a historical term as is great sword.

is this foam over pvc pipe? if that is the case then I am sorry but i have to laugh at you i have been hit full power with such boffers they sting and thats it. They are good for small children only .

14. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

I agree, or if you are a total begginer, once you advance you should be practicing with bokken and shinai, after that you can advance to using an Iaito. (real sword with no sharpness, used for training) I use two Iaito and it doesn't feel as awkward anymore...but I have become so fond of two wakasashi since I have been practicing awhile. It makes blocking, deflecting, and parrying much easier with two weapons, and their shortness makes them quick. The only drawback is you have no reach. Personally I prefer holding the wakasashi in my left hand facing down and the right handed one facing up, it provides me with a greater possible number of attacks.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2003
  15. bubba

bubba New Member

twin sword styke

One of my schools tech. uses a custom sword with a blade built into the saya. The tech. uses the real sword as a deversion and you attack with the saya.This is just one of many.

16. Cudgel

what now?

17. JessyBlue

JessyBlue New Member

Dagger and a sword, that´s how it works :) (tout va bien)
    Well not clearly a two sword style though it is different using a dagger, but I think the idea is partly similar: block with the one, slash wit the other.

18. Cudgel

or hjow about this. AXe and sword. Use teh axe to hook a weapon or shield out of the way and strike with your sword.

19. tomek

tomek New Member

check Shim Gum Do, they use 2 long swords at the same time (not one long one short...), also You can find a little of this in KSW and some more in Farang MuSul.

20. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

And of course the Thai art of Krabi Krabong, is a double sword style.