Twisted Knee

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by stubbyd, Aug 2, 2010.

1. stubbyd

stubbyd Valued Member

OK,

So Saturday just gone I graded to 7th Gup in Tang Soo Do.

We'd done the various forms, basics, etc and had moved on to the sparring part. I was in the 4th of 4 spars when I went to throw what I would call a high round house to the head area of my sparring partner when mid kick my knee twisted and instead of kicking I collapsed in a heap on the floor.

The way I think of it is that the lower half of my right leg (knee to foot) just continued to rotate.

I managed to get over the initial pain and rub / massage it to the point where I felt comfortable finishing off the grading (just breaking).

The bizarre thing as far as I'm concerned is that this is my good knee. Had it happened to the other one I wouldn't have been in the least surprised as it used to be a regular thing.

Anyway - my post is about asking what knee support you folks wear or what type of support is best.

For example - any of these ones or should I up the protection and go for one of these?

And if so which one(s)?

Today - 2 days after I'm barely hobbling but the bruising is still there and total movement is a little stiff / sore / restricted.

If necessary I'm going to ask my chiropractor as I see him next week ....

2. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Did you finish him off with the crane kick?

Attached Files:

3. stubbyd

stubbyd Valued Member

This ain't the movies! Unfortunately as I could do with their money...!

4. Ranzan

Ranzan Valued Member

lol, just sounds like a slight strain to me. Go see doc if you want but I think you could tough it out. Unless you have some massive swelling discoloration, or extremely restricted movement you are usually pretty good. Take it easy and RICE it.

5. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

RICE

Attached Files:

6. Dao

Dao Valued Member

If the swelling does not resolve within a few days or you notice lockng in the joint then see a doctor regarding a meniscus tear.

Otherwise take the advice above.

Dao

7. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

The knee can be a complicated beast and it's best not to try and second guess it. You knee's have to last you your whole life through... get to a physio without delay. It might turn out to be nothing... but the price of a one off physio session is a small price to pay for the health of your knees.

Routinely I see people who have had knee injuries and never go see a physio... the knee begins to feel better and they go back to doing things that put stress on it... and the knee goes again. After a while it just becomes a regular pattern of having to take time off from physical activities because of a bum knee that acts up.

Don't fall into this pattern.

It sounds like you might have a problem with your medial collateral ligament (MCL)... that is one of the main stabilizers of the knee joint. Not something you really want to be second guessing. Get to a physio pronto and get the ok to get back to training after the proper rest.

If the MCL or instability in the knee continues to be a problem you are going to really want to start a long, slow program of strengthening the knee and the muscles and ligaments which stabilize it. High on your list of strength movements to perform are going to be deadlifts which help to strengthen the knee. Deadlifts themselves can be scary and prone to injury if you're not doing them with keen form. Feel free to post up in the Health & Fitness forum here at MAP on how to go about strengthening the knees.

You only get one set... treat them with care,

8. stubbyd

stubbyd Valued Member

Thanks everyone (except for the bowl of rice!! lol).

As I think I said at the top of the thread I'm due to see my chiro next week anyway so will ask his opinion initially and forego my training this week - I have a cold anyway so don't feel much like doing anything.

9. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

RICE = rest, ice, compression, and elevation.

Was the best advice so far, not sure if you missed that or not.

10. stubbyd

stubbyd Valued Member

yes I did spot it - thanks and it was the first thimg I did - should have siad that I guess! My trusty icepack (normally used on my back) came straight into play.

11. Mushroom

I would proceed to quote a scene from A Better Tomorrow II starring Chow Yun Fat regarding rice. But I cant as its so full of foul language I'll get banned :p:evil:

12. stubbyd

stubbyd Valued Member

Interstingly - whilst discussing my knee at work today I was reminded that as a part of my company's health plan I get instant phone access to muscularskeletal support and if necessary get shoe horned into see physio's asap.

So tomorrow morning I've got an 8am phonecall to discuss my knee - wheee!

13. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

I used to be reckless with my knees, I've paid the price. I've torn cartlidge in both. Though since the left one got fixed up its a lot better and the right one is responding well touch wood, hopefully avoid surgury again for as long as possible.

Like Slip says, take care of them, cos once things go wrong its never really the same again.

14. Mushroom

Yeh, my left knee was always my "weaker" knee, although it was what I pivoted off the best with. Always wondered at what point I would need some form of surgery on it. Then crunch/crackle and I tear up my right knee. Now I got 2 dodgy knees.

I was lucky that during surgery it turned out not to be as bad as the scans showed it to be..AND I healed 3 months ahead of schedule as well as meeting a physiotherapist who was BJJ purple belt and knew what demands were needed for a MAist.

I look at my dad (61yrs) a lifetime MAist and hardworker since 15yrs old and see how beat up his body is. He followed the philosphy of "You got your body for the rest of your life, you might as well look after it".

MA training will always be there, so if you need to miss a few classes to heal up, then do so. No point ruining your body just because you feel "you might fall behind in class" a little.

15. stubbyd

stubbyd Valued Member

Once again thanks to all of you that took time to reply.

Saw the physio on Friday and she says it's a slight strain of my medial ligament - as to a support she has no issues with me using one to boost confidence when getting back into it but nothing with any ridged stays - best bet she advised was an open patella type so that's what I've gone with.

Also saw my chiro today as part of my regular visits to him and he has no issues with the knee either and has advised adding lunges to part of my routine - more on that in another note when I have time.

Cheers.

16. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Good stuff. As per your chiro's advice lunges will be good for you... even better. Deadlifts. Get that knee stabilized. One lift that has helped many an athlete right back onto the playing field after what would/should have been a career stopping knee injury is a deadlift.

17. stubbyd

stubbyd Valued Member

Having been shown a lunge by my physio I am now totally convinced that I hate them :)

I was shown yesterday and even just the 2 or 3 I did to check 'my form' has setmy thighs on fire today...! And she wants me to do 3 sets of 5 along with a whole bunch of other stuff. OUCH!

I'll hold off the deadlifts until physio says so or my new 'exercise by prescription' includes them in my tailored program.

18. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

Have been nursing a gimpy knee myself.

I went back to running after taking some time off and pushed a bit more than I probably should have. What pushed it over the edge was a very deep knee bend (see: TCC "snake slips down") and I have been feeding the acupuncturist for about the last month. Its beginning to come around-- pain is down to a "1" or "2" and the noticable "click" is much less prncd than earlier. I have been considering some simple work with ankle weights including knee extensions (in a seated position) and knee flexors (from a supine position). Feed back would be appreciated.

Also have a fellow "knee-sufferer" at work whose therapist has recommended "seating" against a wall and slowly rising up the wall with assitance from the hands PRN. Thoughts?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

19. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

Have been nursing a gimpy knee myself.

I went back to running after taking some time off and pushed a bit more than I probably should have. What pushed it over the edge was a very deep knee bend (see: TCC "snake slips down") and I have been feeding the acupuncturist for about the last month. Its beginning to come around-- pain is down to a "1" or "2" and the noticable "click" is much less prncd than earlier. I have been considering some simple work with ankle weights including knee extensions (in a seated position) and knee flexors (from a supine position). Feed back would be appreciated.

Also have a fellow "knee-sufferer" at work whose therapist has recommended "seating" against a wall and slowly rising up the wall with assitance from the hands PRN. Thoughts?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

20. Dr KVR

Dr KVR New Member

Once you are feeling better start taking glucosamine and calcium and protect those joints and bones, you also might like to sneak some fish oils in there :)