TV and anime shows

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by flaming, Jun 26, 2011.

1. flaming

flaming Valued Member

GAME of thrones back on yayess.

2. Madao13

Madao13 Valued Member

Chapter 58 was out yesterday!:D

That's great to "hear" from you Zaad. I don't have any experience in muay thai, wrestling or bjj, so I was wondering how a person who have trained in those arts would evaluate the Hiroki Endo's work.

The great thing about this manga is that it's so realistic and the characters have depth.

3. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

Just started to get into "Two and a Half Men" season 9 - the one without Charlie Sheen. Even though it isn't quite the same as previous seasons (I thought Sheen was great in them), it is strangely watchable. Kutcher starts to grow on you... Starts to...

4. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

Really? I watched 3 eps and gave up on it!

5. Chimpcheng

It's actually not too bad, not a patch on Sheen's run, but it's not bad...

6. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

I'm really enjoying Mad Men, currently on season 2. Based in the 60s about advertisers, a lot of historical stuff built in to the show, the first time they realized cigarettes were bad and how to re market them, the Nixon/Kennedy presidential race, Marilyn Monroe. Good stuff.

7. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Game of Thrones//// I dont now what is ani-me

8. warriorofanart

warriorofanart Valued Member

Here's some top-notch anime, depending on your tastes:

School Rumble: It's a pretty hilarious romantic-comedy/serious anime. It's side-splitting funny, and you'll fall in love with all the characters because you can relate to most of them. It's definitely one of the best anime made.

I am sure Rurouni Kenshin has been mentioned; also known as Samurai X. It's about a samurai at turn out of the Meiji era. It has an incredibly powerful story, and the action is top-notch.

Elfin-Lied is a mature, highly graphic anime that shows that ugliness of some human beings. It's a serious anime with bits of humor tossed in. Probably not for someone with a weak constitution.

Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood is a great anime with a engaging story that leaves you glued until you finish it all.

Some AWESOME anime movies that I HIGHLY recommend:

Everything by Hayao Miyazaki. I am being 100% serious; some of the best anime movies ever made were by this guy. Here's a quick list of the most I enjoyed the most:

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
    Laputa: Castle in the Sky
    Princess Mononoke
    Spirited Away
    Howl's Moving Castle -My personal favorite

A quick quote from Wiki about his work:

"Miyazaki's works are characterised by the recurrence of progressive themes, such as environmentalism, pacifism, feminism, and the absence of villains.[24] His films are also frequently concerned with childhood transition and a marked preoccupation with flight."

9. 19thlohan

the proper name for Japanimation.

10. 19thlohan

I just remember the new guy walking around naked all the time. Makes it hard to tune back in.

11. 47MartialMan

Why Ani-me....it sounds like a hodge podge off

12. 19thlohan

Couldn't tell you. I didn't invent the Japanese language. I just know a few judo terms, 1-10, and that anime means animation and manga means comic book.

13. 47MartialMan

But ani from animation does not seem "Uniquely Japanese".

14. Chimpcheng

Yeah, he does that a lot, I think it's his "thing" to differentiate him from the Charlie Harper character he is replacing...

With regards to the word "anime", Wikipedia (yes, I know, I know) says:

Take your pick I suppose...

15. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

^ I thought this was Charlie Harper. Still going strong. I can remember buying my first UK Subs colour vinyl over 30 years ago

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5BN0HwTW1I&feature=related"]UK Subs -Emotional Blackmail-.mpg - YouTube[/ame]

Just watched the end of Dexter Season 6. WOW, another season cliff hanger

16. 47MartialMan

Anime...what a crock term to mean "cartoon"

And, what is up with the term karaoke?

17. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

The fact that it's not "distinctly Japanese" is neither here nor there. Lots of Japanese is taken straight from Chinese. And lots more is adapted straight from English. Hell, the Japanese word for TV is (and I'm guessing at the commonly accepted spelling here) "terebe."

As I understand it, it means "empty voice." The "kara" meaning the same thing that it does in "karate."

To answer the actual question, I've been following Psych and Doctor Who voraciously. I'm heartbroken that, last night, I exhausted Netflix's supply of streaming Psych episodes.

Crap.

18. 47MartialMan

Therefore many still maintain a sense of over zealot pride, often in denial of thing "burrowed"

Strange how other cultures "burrowed" this

19. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

"Borrowed" I think you mean. And, even in my very cursory study of Japanese, it was made clear that there was a large percentage of Japanese that's plainly based on English. If memory serves, it's called "katakana." And the fact that they've categorized and named it as such is pretty much the opposite of denial.

Why? What's strange about that? Cultures in close contact borrow things from one another. We've just come into much closer contact over the years. That's all. Nothing strange in it.

20. 19thlohan

Most languages have root languages that they have taken words from and often those words resemble the original word or at least part of it. Why should the Japanese language have to be different and be uniquely Japanese?