tutorial videos

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Sarute Uchizaki, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Sarute Uchizaki

Sarute Uchizaki Valued Member

hi! can anyone help me to find very good and instructive tutorial videos about martial arts particularly aikijutsu?

2. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

As an aside I question whether one can learn from a video in the absence of a live teacher, but that said, I enjoyed watching some of Robert MacEwen's "aikido" videos. I consider his stuff aiki-JJ, not aikido.

Hock Hochheim put out a lot of videos that were pretty good too. His material is simplistic but viable. He was targetting cops and bouncers and soldiers -- people who might actually have to fight a true "bad guy" -- and he was big on knife defense. And he has an aiki-jj background.

3. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I think Hocheim's knife stuff is mostly Arnis (Remy Presas lineage I think) but I can second that recommendation. His knife stuff is great.

4. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

There are some videos out there by Katsuyuki Kondo - the current head of the Daitō-ryū Aiki-jūjutsu lineage.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SLrC5niLBQ&feature=related"]YouTube- What is Aiki?[/ame]

Just be forewarned... with Dait ryu... videos are not really much help. There are very subtle things that simply are not shown in any of these. Having been on the receiving end on a small handful of the DRAJJ techniques from sensei Dermot Creagh... I can say they are ridiculously painful and effective. But that is because he's trained it for a very, very long time. Just watching the videos and attempting to emulate what is being shown is pretty much a dead end.

5. Sarute Uchizaki

Sarute Uchizaki Valued Member

thanks for the url slipthejab! but have u ever surfed on fightcon.com? because there is a very interesting tutorial uploaded by someone called LarvaMaster. its about aikijutsu.