Turning Kick

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Alexander, Oct 30, 2004.

1. Alexander

Alexander Possibly insane.

Hello everyone!

Many Dojangs say use the term roundhouse kick instead of turning kick. I was just wondering if anyone knew why?

(Sorry, I'm not calling the term wrong, I'm just confused as to how that name came to be selected and I haven't been able to find out anywhere).

Thanks,
    Alexander

2. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

Terminology like this can get very confusing.

In my original Tang Soo Do Dojang we used the term turning back kick which was different than a spinning back kick.

We then Joined C.S. Kim's ITF and he used the term Dolio Yup Chagee which translates to a turning side kick - we were all confused. Dolio always meant round to me as in doilio chagee (round kick or roundhouse kick)

Now in Tae Kwon Do I have found they refer to any kick performed with the back leg as a turning kick. You can have a turning front kick if it is performed with the rear leg.

So, my answer is that there is no one solid correct answer. Sorry.

3. Endless

Endless Valued Member

Usually i think a round house is with the instep, where as turning kick is done with the ball of the foot but i'm not too sure.

4. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

There is another version for you. In both my TSD and TDK schools a round kick is a round kick. Yes we use ball of the foot or instep - same kick. Different schools have different terms

5. itfengland.com

itfengland.com New Member

yeah i have seen many different terms for different kicks, if you practice one style then its best to stick with the terminology for your style and dont get confused with others.

I dont think there is no right or wrong answer for the description of a kick at the end of the day some1 who has invented the martial art has just made up a name for it.

6. ToRNaDo LorD

ToRNaDo LorD New Member

Havn't heard of turning kick before. But it does make sense. Ill talk to my instructor about it.

7. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

Maybe 'roundhouse kick' helps to describe the path that the leg takes better, than calling it a 'turning kick'.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2004
  8. ninjas-r-us

ninjas-r-us I sit under your tea

personal preferance

9. Lithanwif

Lithanwif Human Punchbag

Dunno if this is relevant, but when I practiced Karate in any dojo, they all refer to the turning kick as a roundhouse kick. So I reckon this is probably due to the vast melting pot that MA has become.

As an aside, even now after three years purely in TaeKwonDo when asked to do a dollyo Chagi my thought process runs this way
    'Dollyo Chagi'
    'Mawashi Geri'
    'Turning kick'
    'Roundhouse kick'
    and in roughly the opposite order when asked terminology. Causes me all kinds of horror come grading times as its roughly the same for every strike. And sometimes I seem to be running in koreanese!

I remember my first night in the Dojang
    'Ah, so you have experience..cool..can you do a turning kick'
    'do a what now?'
    then after a brief demonstration, 'Oh a roundhouse, jeez you shoulda said'

10. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

OMG!! I know exactly what you are saying Lithanwif. I was always taught Dollyo Chagi, adn then I got married and moved. We are now doing Tae Kwon Do here and find the Korean is very different. My wife has also trained in Tang Soo Do for many years asked me how it is there is more than one Korean language. LOL

Even the way we say be seted or meditate....mok yum, minuet. Terminology used to never frustrate me until I tried expanding my knowledge. Wow!

11. Din

Din 3rd dan

Basically its just two different ways of saying the same thing. I think both are correct. Here we use turning kick ... i guess its due to the turning motion of the waist/body when executing the kick.

12. gaz shaw

gaz shaw New Member

i agree completely at my club we say turning kick but they are the same thing.

:eek: :eek: :cry: :( :mad: :yeleyes: :love: :rolleyes: :) :cool: :Alien: :p :woo: ;) :Angel: