Tulisan Knife Fighting

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Crucible, Jul 22, 2004.

1. Crucible

Crucible Valued Member

Hey, anyone have any experiance with Tulisan? Would love to hear about comparisons with other blade systems(pekiti, others) and some technical explanations-standard application/entries and training methodology.
    Thanks
    I'll be on vacation so I won't get back to any posts for a few weeks.

2. Bayani

Bayani Valued Member

The Tulisan knife fighting system I know of is call "Laban Tulisan" As taught by Master Ner Reodeca. Back in the 80's Master Ner and Tuhon Gaje used to do seminars together but have since went on separate ways. Though I often wonder how much PTK may have influenced L.T. (as Tuhon Gaje was the senior among the two when they did seminars wwith Master Ner assisting) Overall it's a very good and combative knife system that can hold it's own . Master Ner and Punog Guro Edgar Sulite(R.I.P.) were good friend and also exchanged ideas as they both trained under /with and assisted Tuhon Leo GAje. Those that enjoy a certain quality and ideas about FMA seem to find each other.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2004
  3. david f

david f New Member

I believe Crucible is referring to tulisan knife fighting as taught by Master Rey Galang and Bakbakan. Maybe it is best to contact Master Galang through the web site www.bakbakan.com

4. narra

narra Valued Member

Tulisan knife fighting (of Bakbakan) as my instructor says is primarily based on Illustrisimo Knife techniques/fighting and LAMECO knife techniques. It may have some Pekiti influences also, like the tapping and the footwork, etc. So if you've seen Illustrisimo and/or LAMECO knife fighting then that is the same Tulisan.

5. Bayani

Bayani Valued Member

It seems that Laban Tulisan as tauhgt by Master ner reodeca is indeed his own system now located in Louissiana.

6. Black_Grass

Black_Grass Valued Member

Tulisan is the knife fighting sub system of Kali Ilustrisimo as organized by Master Rey Galang. There is no influence from LAMECO or Pekiti Tirsia.

The footwork and tapping of Tulisan/Ilustrisimo if very different from that of Pekti Tirsia. LAMECO tapping and footword is a combination of Ilustrisimo and Pekiti as both were maajor influence in PG Edgar.

There is an article on the Bakbakan Website describing some of the techniqes, mindset and training methods.

Vince
    aka Black Grass
    Bakbakan Canada

7. Bayani

Bayani Valued Member

I ws referring to Laban Tulisan by Ner Reodeca who ran in the same circles as Tuhon Leo Gaje and PG Edgar Sulite.

8. Mike Page

Mike Page New Member

Master Steve Sampilo Jr. and Master Ner Reodica Jr.

Hello!

I'm trying to find my Arnis instructor from the early to mid 80's, Master Steve Sampilo Jr. Master Sampilo taught Tae Kwon Do and the Pekiti Tisria system of Arnis. Master Sampilo was good friends with Master Ner Reodica and were both students of Tujon Gaje. I feel fortunate to have trained under Master Steve, as well as Tujon Gaje. I trained in Martial arts for a total of 13 years. I would love to reconnect with my teacher. Master Ner may know the wherebouts of Master Steve Sampilo, so if anyone knows how to find Master Ner, I would appreciate some help. For those who are historians of the Filipino fighting arts, I have included a rare picture of me standing with Tujon Leo Gaje, taken in 1985.

I appreciate any help finding my teacher.

Regards,

Mike Page

Attached Files:

9. vismitananda

vismitananda Valued Member

"Tulisan" literally means goons or bad guy and "Laban Tulisan" means Fighting with a bad guy.

All I know is that Tulisan is a mix of knife arts and do not focus only to one applications/standard.

10. kalislash

kalislash Valued Member

...tulisan "means a pirate" the rootword of "tulis" pointed weapons.so,it is not only a cutting weapons but to pierced.TheTalimuno

11. Isosceles

Isosceles New Member

Laban Tulisan

For the record: 1) Master Ner did run in the same circles as Edgar Sulite and Leo Gaje. He did not openly share his family's system and was all too happy to have people think he was the "assistant". Master Ner is a tactician with real world experience - not just martial arts training. The inexperienced don't realize, one of the primary rules of engagement; deception - the less your opponent knows about you, the better off you are. The saying, "know your opponent" is not hard to come by these days, where people can't wait to wear and show off their school t-shirt, or TapOut shirt and slap an MMA sticker on their car. 2) Master Ner comes from the old ways, where teaching your system to a stranger who hasn't earned your trust, could mean the difference between life or death. 3) Only when you've had a chance to train directly with him will you realize his system is not from the other systems - and hopefully in your search for truth, you've exposed yourself enough to other systems to be able to tell the difference.

I hope that one day you will find out the truth for yourselves and seek out an opportunity to train directly with Master Ner. He's not getting any younger and I hear he's more open to sharing his system these days. With enough resourcefulness you may be able to catch him doing a seminar or 2 this year. Good luck!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012