TUF18 - Rousey v Tate

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Princess Haru, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Good fights for both finals. Grant just slipped up and made a dumb mistake but Holdsworth is someone I'm really looking forward to seeing again. Pena did great too and was basically flawless. People really need to stop with that mount escape attempt with throwing the legs over. I'm trying to remember the last time I saw it work on anyone.

Enjoyed the other women's fights too. Was surprised how few fights Rocky had had. Explains why she still seems nervous a bit more. Hope Roxy gets another fight. Imagine she will considering she seems to be popular.

Duke did really well too apart from the tiny mishap with the headlock.

I liked the finale basically.

2. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

That Raquel/ Roxy fight was disappointing. Wasn't very good IMO. Raquel needs to stop being so timid, like this and her last fight. Roxy, really cool person, but she has lost her last 6 in a row- officially speaking. Her best days may be behind her. She may get one more fight in the UFC, because of her popularity. But I see a future in Invicta. Isn't she a 125 weight class person anyways? If so, she might do better at her real weight class in Invicta.

Jessamyn was awesome! But I am biased. Don't kow WHAT she was thinking with that headlock. Glad it didn't cost her the fight.

Diaz put on a great fight, but showed afterwards why I am an admitted Diaz Bros. hater.

Pena did great. Had a smarter game plan than she hinted at. I was rooting for Jessica, but Pena certainly deserves to be TUF champ.

That Yahya/ Nimi???? (Sorry don't know how to spell it) fight was the best fight of the night IMO. Awesome display of technical grappling. Should have been FOTN.

Can't stand Akira, but felt bad for him with that clearly illegal knee. Wasn't one of those, he was down by having a finger on the ground, dude was clearly really down.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  3. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Jessica pretty much showed that she's a boxer trying her hand at MMA. She has nothing but boxing in her arsenal and that just wont cut it in the UFC. Considering how much of a disadvantage she has on the ground you have to believe that a lot of her pre-fight training was on takedown defence but she still went down easy. I don't think people give Pena enough respect, her grappling is amazing, her takedowns are excellent and her ground and pound is clinical and vicious. To cast her as just a brawler is massively unfair.

The mens final was pretty much exactly what I thought would happen. Holdsworth is a good enough striker to give himself opportunities to go to the ground where he is already at an elite level. For a second in the first round I though Grant might be able to land a big shot and end the fight early, but it wasn't to be. Grant will get a UFC contract though.

Has Shayna Baszler done something to upset Dana White? I cannot believe that she didn't get tapped for a support fight. Is there some background there I don't know about?

And finally - what was Yves Lavigne doing in the ME? Maynard took at least 6 big shots that he didn't need to. Even Diaz held his arms out at one point like 'How much more unable to defend himself does this guy need to be?'.

But it was an awesome event.

4. Southpaw535

I'm not sure that was what Diaz was thinking when he threw his arms out. Probably "something something B-word"

5. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I was amazed at the Rousey/Tate interview. Rousey was rude and obnoxious the whole time. I used to like her but can't stand her now.

6. aaradia

Bazler and Moras will both get chances in the UFC. Both were not in this event due to injuries.

None of the other men are going to get a chance, unles Dana White changes his mind.

At least this is what I have pickecd up from various MMA forums.
    I won't consider any TUFer elite level until they go against experienced UFC people, not other recent TUF contestants. He may be, We will see. Uriah Hall looked like a killer striker against other contestants. In the regular UFC, not so much.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  7. holyheadjch

It was a 'hey, ref! This guy is out, stop the fight before I kill him' gesture. I can't remember the last time a referee was so slow to get in and stop a fight.

8. Southpaw535

I know mate. Taking the mick out of Diaz a bit is all.

Maldanado- Teixeira?

9. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

The men's 135 lb division is already stacked so Dana doesn't need to add more names (hell, the UFC was doing a mass cull recently). But the UFC is trying to build the female divisions, particularly the recently announced 125 lb class - I wonder how many female fighters from this season of TUF will move down to fight there?

10. holyheadjch

That's why I think Dana was so into Julianna during the season. She normally fights at 125, so having someone with name recognition to kickstart that division would be a big win for him. I think Roxanne is normally a 125lber too.

Holdsworth and Grant are probably the only men who are going to be around from the men this time around -the rest were pretty mediocre.

11. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Yeah.

I was disappointed Grant didn't get to fight in the semi's because Anthony screwed up his weigh in, but watching him in the finale against Holdsworth...he's actually pretty damn good. Both of them are actually, unlike the rest of the men in the house who were just weak.

The women's category wasn't too bad though, I wonder how long Jessica has in her competition wise though. She's a really good boxer but she does seem to get overwhelmed by the more aggressive grapplers quite horribly and her record isn't great.

12. holyheadjch

Jessica is done. I don't think she has the time to sort out her grappling and Pena just wrote a 'how to demolish Jessica Rakoczy' guidebook that any half decent wrestler is going to use against her. Shes now 1-4 as a pro with her only win being against a nobody. Why would Dana sign her up ahead of someone with a future in the sport?

13. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Still early days but I think Holdsworth could be a title contender (with constant development and at least half a dozen fights against seasoned UFC fighters of course). There's just something about his work ethic and awareness that reminds me of a younger GSP.

14. aaradia

Nope - not 125 weight class.

The division being added is 115. Gives those women at 125 a chance to move up or down, but not be at their optimal class.

15. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

D'oh!

Funny I got that wrong because Tecia Torres is my favourite 115er.

16. aaradia

Yeah, she has won me over as a fan. I think Calderwood is a 115er too. She is awesome!

I wonder if Jessica R. could cut to 115 or if that is too much of a cut?

17. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I dunno, I've seen Calderwood in person at a grappling event here in Manchester and I have to say she looks like a natural 125 or even a 135 lb fighter. I wouldn't like to think what she goes through for a weight cut, put it that way!

Can't wait for Torres v Herrig this weekend!

18. aaradia

Looked it up, Calderwood fights at 115 for sure.

Yes, thanks for reminding me. I am going to have to figure out how to buy that.

19. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

You can watch it live on the Invicta website! :)

20. aaradia

Yeah, I just have never bought a PPV before. And I think I want to get a gift card that works like a credit card to buy it, I don't know if I trust the organization that handles their PPV's to have my credit card numbers.