Tuf 5

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Sever, Apr 6, 2007.

1. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Yeah, I know... that's why I was surprised during the show when he was saying how he's small and when Dana said he thought Manny was just too small... I was thinking "wouldn't it be cool if they actually had to fit in their own weight class instead of cutting 20 pounds to slip down a class?" Maybe they should have surprise weigh-ins anytime during the year and try to catch them after beer, pizza and chips sometime. Might make the weight class "as real as it gets". :)

2. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

Apotheosis-nice summaries.

Manny looks impressive. He seems to have a surprising amount of strength, can take a punch, defends takedowns & subs pretty well, and can either GNP or submit. Hope he makes the finals.

Diaz is a carbon-copy of his brother. That's not really a compliment. I hate watching their stand-up. I think Diaz's best match-up is against Wiman, where the fight will probably stay on the ground, and Wiman's relative inexperience with the sub game will allow Nate to pull off a tap... maybe.

Joe impresses me by being able to seemingly do it all, with the possible exception of submissions. Also like to see him in the finals.

Wiman may be the most athletic of the four, and I think he's got the tools to beat any of the other three, if he uses them correctly. His takedowns are impressive, but a stronger "striker" was able to out-scramble him sometimes, and he's still new at the sub game, which might leave him open to guys like Diaz and Gamburian. I think his best matchup would be against Louzon, maybe Manny.

It's not easy to call the next couple of fights, but these guys will sure make it interesing. I'm psyched.

3. wazzabi

wazzabi sushi eater

hate to bring it to you, but wiman's eliminated. it was maynard that made it to the semi's, not wiman. did you not see the last episode? it was wiman who manny beat to get to the semi's

in any case, i'm calling the finals to be manny vs lauzon.

4. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

Right guy, wrong name. Thanks for the correction.

5. wazzabi

wazzabi sushi eater

haha np man, sorry if i seemed a bit hard & emotional, lol. i had a long day & felt like keyboard harassment :woo:

6. nready

nready Verifying DMI pool....

[EXPAND="Spoilers"]Manny from what i heard from someone on Bullshido said, was that Manny wins the thing, they never told me what happened to Grey Maynard. Even if Maynard does not win he may be one of the most talented fighters in the show from what i could see.

Also, noticed he is almost never talked about in the threads anywhere an just wondered why.

I do pick Manny to win the hole thing though, a smaller person that knows how to throw yea, that is a tough fight for anyone.

What he said is Maynard loses to Diaz. Not sure if that is true.

The thing is only three people on there even seem to be able to fight, i mean a lot of the fights just this season were bad to watch. I can not wait to see little evil fight BJ Penn. From that weight class i enjoy watching Little Evil an BJ Penn fight an owe what is the name of the dud Jens Trains with, Spencer Fisher i think. Also like Diego Sanchez.[/EXPAND]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2007
  7. Linguo

Linguo Valued Member

^^should be in spoiler tags^^

8. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Just to reiterate

Any real spoilers that start doing the rounds on other forums/ news sites (who's in the finale etc) MUST HAVE SPOILER TAGS, and, of course, I expect to see tags for the live finale

9. nready

nready Verifying DMI pool....

Oh, well sorry about that sever i will try to keep that in mind next time.

Even if i knew there are still some very good moves in the fights after, i would still watch it. I hope that did not burst anyone's bubble.

10. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

[EXPAND="Spoilers"]This week we have two episodes, Manny vs Lauzon and Diaz vs Maynard

Manny vs Lauzon-

First Round- Manny came out strong and quickly took Lauzon down. He didn't do that much damage but he totally controlled Joe and nearly sunk in a few submissions.

Second Round- More of the same, Lauzon came out and swiftly got taken down and once he was on his back Manny was just way to strong and Lauzon couldn't get up.

Third Round- Again, Lauzon got taken down and dominated. With about 1 minute left Lauzon took Manny's back and nearly got a RNC but Manny just slid out of it and ended the fight with some nasty GnP.

Unanimous decision victory for Manny...it went as I expected, Manny is just way to compact and strong to sweep.

Maynard vs Diaz- This should be interesting, Maynard will take Diaz down but his sub game is nothing compared to Nate's so I expect a submission.

Round 1- Maynard quickly got the takedown, landed some brutal shots opening up a couple cuts that quickly covered Nate's head in blood. Nate went for something like 30 submissions and Maynard was constantly trying to keep from losing a limb.

Round 2- Maynard is a bit tired but he gets the takedown...Diaz uses a nice sweep and now he is in Gray's guard.

He sees an opening and quickly gets a guillotine ending the fight early in the second via submission.

We have an all Pulver finale, Manny vs Nate.

My pick is still Manny, I think he is just gonna take Nate down and do what he did to Lauzon. If you want to beat Manny you need sick takedown defense of the ability to put HIM on his back before he can do it to you. Nate doesn't have either unless he has really improved.

In other news, the first episode saw Karo and Nate nearly getting in a fight after Karo repeatedly pushed and harassed Nate(for some perspective, imagine an older brother bullying a younger brother who doesn't like the older brother and has a nasty temper)

We also saw a ping-pong game for 10 grand between Pulver and Penn which ended with Pulver getting the win.

[/EXPAND]

11. Tom O'Brien

Tom O'Brien Valued Member

UFC Finale

Date Time: 06/23/2007 Doors open 3:30pm-On Spike 9pm
    Event Type: Spike TV - The Ultimate Fighter Finale

Jens Pulver v BJ Penn, BJ
    Manny Gamburyan v Nathan Diaz, Manny
    Roger Huerta v Doug Evans, Roger
    Floyd Sword v Thales Leites, Floyd
    Brandon Melendez v Joe Lauzon, Joe
    Rob Emerson v Gray Maynard, Gray
    Allen Berube v Leonard Garcia, Allen
    Brian Geraghty v Matt Wiman, Matt

Thanks,
    Sensei Tom

12. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

Jens Pulver v BJ Penn- BJ Penn by domination

Manny Gamburyan v Nathan Diaz- Manny by boring decision

Roger Huerta v Doug Evans- Huerta is 19 and 1, Evans is 3 and 10....Huerta is going to dominate

Floyd Sword v Thales Leites- Going to guess Thales wins

Brandon Melendez v Joe Lauzon- Joe has to watch out for his hands but I think he has the tools to take Brandon down ASAP and then tool him on the ground

Rob Emerson v Gray Maynard- I expect Maynard to GnP Emerson for a TKO victory

Allen Berube v Leonard Garcia- Garcia is going to tool Berube

Brian Geraghty v Matt Wiman- Wiman via domination

Andy Wang vs. Cole Miller- I hope Cole wins but I have no idea how good Wang is on the ground so we shall see

13. bujingodai

bujingodai Retired Supporter

Manny will win but I think an exciting fight

I disagree and think Pulver will win over BJ

Cole Miller over Wang

The rest I am not too worried about

14. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

sorry to be a pedant but you might wanna change the title to TUF finale.

15. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Threads merged

16. spirez

spirez Valued Member

finale deserves its own thread. this sucks

17. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Every single season of TUF has had the finale discussed in the relevant season thread, mainly due to the fact that even if there is a finale discussion thread, it's going to be discussed in this one anyway, it just keeps things flowing better than having the same discussion occuring in more than one place

18. wazzabi

wazzabi sushi eater

that would be cool. i think most fighters envy the heavyweights, since they don't have to worry about making weight. or if you're really super talented and can take on guys 30lbs bigger than you (ie Kid Yamamoto), and fight without cutting at the bottom of a weight class. (he weighs 143 and fights in the 155 division). guess what? he's the best lightweight in K-1 Hero's with a record of 15-1. more fighters should follow his example, and risk fighting bigger guys, so that skill, not size will prevail. then maybe, we'll see fighters at their natural weight fighting other guys that really weigh around the same (not fighting a bigger guy who's able to dehydrate himself more than others, ie Rich Franklin). don't get me wrong, guys that cut weight are very talented, i just think some of them rely too much on the fact that they're bigger and can cut more weight.

CroCop too, is a good example. if most fighters were in his shoes, they would have cut down to 205 a long time ago, but he hates cutting weight, & chose to bang with the big boys. guess what? he's one of the best heavyweights in the world.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2007
  19. BigRed389

BigRed389 Valued Member

One of the risks is the absolutely brutal KOs you can suffer as a smaller guy.

Look at Sakuraba today...he just isn't the same...and it can be attributed to the brutal beatings he endured fighting guys WAY above his weight class.

At the lower weights it seems to be feasible...the added speed can be used well and the weight difference doesn't seem to be too much.
    But when you've got MWs or LHWs taking on "true" HWs...it can make some serious brutality.

20. spirez

spirez Valued Member

Tim Syliva has to cut! There must be others too