TT Liang form (1st section)

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by tccstudent, May 24, 2006.

1. tccstudent

tccstudent Valued Member

Hi Guys,

I just found this clip off EF. This is the first public clip of TT Liang that I have ever seen. For those who don't know, he was Cheng Man Chings top disciple before they had a falling out. TT lived to be 102 or 103 I forget which. Nothing spectacular but thought it was worth showing.

http://www.chentaichi.org/Video/TT/TT Liang_FirstSection.WMV

2. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

As Chen Man Ching's short form was the first form I learnt, I found the clip very interesting....had to turn the music off though!! :eek: :D

3. daftyman

daftyman A 4oz can of whoop-ass!

what is it about taiji vids that always have crap music to them?

As a side note, he wasn't doing the first section of the CMC form though, but the longer yang form. He did look nice and relaxed though.

4. airweaver

airweaver Valued Member

is it meant to keep stopping like that??? (the clip)
    i thought it looked kinda rushed, his right arm looks like it goes to far to the right in roll back, and he leaves it there when he actually rolls back instead of having it follow the movement of the left arm. His left knee also looks like its gone beyond his toes to the point of discomfort.
    his single whip looked rushed aswell and his arms looked to far back in white crane.
    I like how softly he goes from left ward off into right ward off, even though it looks kinda robotic how he just stops, you can see how slowly his right foot is moving as he steps.

5. tccstudent

tccstudent Valued Member

CMC was taught the Yang family long form from Yang Cheng Fu, and later he created his short version (37), but I have heard CMC taught some of his students the long form after they learned his form. Also, I wouldn't be too critical of the clip, because clips are always debateable, but I do know that TT spent a good 50 years practicing and teaching TCC. Things aren't always how they seem.

6. daftyman

TT also studied with a lot of other teachers as well.

7. tccstudent

tccstudent Valued Member

It appears TT wasn't that popular over here in the UK, but he was a major player here in the US during the 70's and 80's. TT Liang himself once stated that he might be one of the greatest modern day masters since he outlived everyone else in his generation. :)

8. daftyman

Certainly from reading "Steal My Art", it seems that he was a real character. :)