TSD Training Plan

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by stubbyd, Feb 18, 2012.

1. stubbyd

stubbyd Valued Member

2. Caleb Demarais

Caleb Demarais Valued Member

I read your other thread. I think the first thing you need to do is list specific goals you want to achieve, i.e. kick higher, run faster, lift heavier weights. When you can provide that information, the subject matter experts here on MAP can better advise you. I can probably answer questions you have relating to Tang Soo Do specific practice at home if you have them.

3. stubbyd

stubbyd Valued Member

Firstly Caleb - thank you for responding≥

I realise that I hadn't stated specific goals but I guess that's because in my head I though the implied ones came through. So in answer to your queries ...

With regards to TSD I specifically want to improve my knowledge & execution be that in speed, power, strength, flexibility, etc for the technique. So are there specific drills / training processes I could go through to improve - and picking one at random here - my roundhouse kick?

Secondly with what I have available to me (my bike, bag and bench) what can I, or probably better how can I use them to better my TSD skills.

More generically I guess improving my general all round level of fitness is a primary aim and any flexibility benefits would be a total bonus. Don't care specifically about lifting heavier weights or improving my strength or running faster - aside from which I'm banned from any serious running.

Bottom line: What I'm trying to achieve but wording badly is how best to structure my home based training to supplement / build upon what I learn in the dojang? As general fitness I can do for myself (I guess).

Does this help any?

4. Caleb Demarais

First off, to increase strength you should lift heavy. Google routines like 'Stronglifts 5x5' and 'High Intensity Training.' You probably want to focus on function over size gains, so do 'compound' lifts like bench press and squat. It can be very hard to accomplish this without weights, but you can improvise by using a broom handle with shopping bags filled with tins of beans/soup on each end. You can also do bodyweight exercises like push ups, sit ups and air squats. This will build endurance more than strength, though. Any strength and/or endurance you gain will be a great help to your TSD training. You said you're not interested in lifting heavy weights but don't knock it til you try it!

Improving cardio using your bike is a problem because it will reduce your flexibility. Probably your best bet is to focus on getting fit by doing your TSD techniques. Here's a routine I'd do if I had limited equipment:

• Foam roller x 10-15 mins (you can get a roller cheap enough); great for preventing injuries and improving performance.
    • Low roundhouse kick at 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and full speed x 20 reps each.
    • Middle roundhouse kick at 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and full speed x 20 reps each.
    • Dynamic stretches per vanzant's instructions in the flexibility forum.
    • High roundhouse kick on the heavy bag x 50-100 reps.
    • High roundhouse kick in the air at 1/2 speed wearing light ankle weights x 20-30 reps.
    • Forms practice, say 2-3 times each form.
    • Bodyweight exercises for the core and legs like the plank, 8 count bodybuilders, squats, lunges, single leg deadlifts and pistols.
    • Isometric front and side splits.
    • Relaxed stretches if you want to do them.

Buying cheap equipment like resistance bands, light dumbbells, ankle weights, medicine balls, and whatever else you can think of, mixed in with a little imagination, can improve your training experience.

5. Caleb Demarais

Double post.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  6. stubbyd

stubbyd Valued Member

Awesome set of info Caleb - really appreciate your time and effort to enter all that.

You mentioned ankle weights which reminds me that I have a set of those and I use the bench with old milk cartons filled with water for my weights. Mind I hadn't thought of using a broom handle!

Will definitely pick up a foam roller - had never heard of one prior to your mentioning it.

Thanks also for the extra info on flexibility as that is key aspect for me.

7. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

You can improve your cardio on your bike without affecting flexibility by using a tabata style protocol. Sprint flat out for 20 seconds, rest for ten. Repeat for between 3 and 9 sets. Sounds easy but it should hurt like hell if you genuinely sprint. Assuming your genetics are OK, according to at least one recent bit of research this will improve your VO2max and wont compromise flexibility. I can't find the link just at them moment but this was featured on a BBC Horizon programme recently, and tabata is well known.

Mitch

8. stubbyd

stubbyd Valued Member

Not by me it isn't :) so that's two things I've learned today.

Tabata - will google that and find out more. Thank you.

9. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Here you go mate, watch this on iplayer for some ideas for stuff to do with your bike. :)

Mitch

10. stubbyd

stubbyd Valued Member

Thank you again.