Tryinig something new... Whaddaya think?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by GhostOfYourMind, Sep 3, 2006.

1. GhostOfYourMind

GhostOfYourMind Bewaters lil Iron Monkey

Trying something new... Whaddaya think?

I've been getting bored of 5x5 and 4x3 and what not. So....after skimming over Rock, Iron, Steel by Steve Justa again (and also reading a post on T-nation; in fact, this is that guy's same exact program, so I cannot take credit for it), I've decided to give the following a try for the fun of it. At the very least, my technique will get better right?:D

Monday:
    Bench 6x1
    Front Squat 6x1
    Deadlift 6x1

Wednesday:
    Bench 7x1
    Front Squat 7x1
    Deadlift 7x1

Friday:
    Bench 8x1
    Front Squat 8x1
    Deadlift 8x1

The next week would be the exact same, but it'd be 9x1, 10x1, 11x1. Then the week after the cycle would start over (6x1, 7x1, 8x1, then the week after, 9x1, 10x1, 11x1); except I'd add maybe 5 lbs. for bench and front squat, and 10 lbs. for deadlift.

Weights would be 75% of 1RM (maybe 80% every so often) so as not to burn out.

What do ya'll think? These are my three lifts I want to improve most, and hence, will be all that is worked (although, I can probably throw in some light assitance work on off days if I find it's needed, I'd need suggestions as to what kinda rep range and exercises to do though so I don't burn out).

Here is where I got this from (8th post down, not including the article itself).

Last edited: Sep 3, 2006
  2. flaming

flaming Valued Member

I thought if you bench pressed you had to row?

3. ItalianStallion

ItalianStallion Valued Member

+1
    No good having a strong chest if you have a pansy back

4. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

I would put at least a bit of rowing in it since it has none. I was using a program with no horizontal pulling but lots of rack pulls, RDLs, and high pulls. Cressey said I should row more and taht was good enough for me.

Seriously though, rowing doesn't have to be a major aspect of this program but a few sets in the 6-12 rep range a couple times a week would be a good thing. I prefer seated cable rows and inverted rows myself but that's a personal preference.

5. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

I'd do this given that scheme

squat
    standing press
    chins

bench
    deadlift
    dynamic rows

squat
    standing press
    chins

Other that that it looks ok

6. GhostOfYourMind

Thank you guys. I was thinking of throwing rows and upper back work (face pulls?) in on one or two off days. I'd probably do 2 or 3 sets of 8. Sound good?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2006
  7. Colucci

Colucci My buddies call me Chris.

That's assuming you're doing every set correctly in the first place. ;)

That's a big dropoff. Going from 11 sets back down to 6 sets, and only increasing a few poudns. I think I can understand it, it just seems like...whoa. You know?

So, the weights stay the same each week, only the sets increase? Just checking.

Like the others have said, I'd like to see anything for the back. Just think "traditional bodybuilder sets/reps" for assistance moves, but avoid failure (as usual). One or two exercises, with 4x8, 3x12, 4x10, 2x15. Somewhere around there.

8. GhostOfYourMind

I've decided to abandon this idea (and any lifting for a few days at that). My main reason being, I woke up this morning and my shoulder was KILLING me. I have no idea why. :rolleyes:

Foiled....again. :p