Trying to find out about GBMAA

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by Stunts, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Stunts

Stunts New Member

Hi there. This is question for the UK. Obviously I'm not trying to cause an argument over opinions but I'm trying to find out about GBMAA. My kickboxing instructor is looking to get their club affiliated to it as a favor to me as I need my kickboxing qualifications to be affiliated to this organisation. But when I google GBMAA, I'm struggling to find an official site and noticed their official sites in the past have been disconnected. I also read an article about them that didn't fill me with confidence.

So what I'm hoping is that someone (not belonging to GBMAA) will be able to say "They are official and as fine an affiliation as many others to join." and also explain how to go about affiliating a club to them.

http://the-bkc.com/associations/86-2/ Is this the page my instructor needs to go through? A quick google throws up loads of different sites.

If anyone could help, that'd be greatly appreciated!

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Why do you need to be qualified to this org? Just wondering :)

3. Stunts

Stunts New Member

Required for the UK Stunt Register

4. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I have friends in the industry and quite a few haven't gone through that "governing body" iirc and it's been a while since I last glanced at the register.
    Was this suggested by Equity?

5. Stunts

Stunts New Member

This was suggested by one of the coordinators on the committee. I know it seems like there's loads of governing bodies you can go through for kickboxing but it's not clear what's officially allowed so I asked and this was the answer. I'm sure I could go through another governing body but to play it safe, I don't want to get to applying and being rejected on a simple technicality and have to redo my martial art.

So hopefully someone can tell me if GBMAA are a as fine as any body to be associated under

6. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

7. Stunts

Stunts New Member

This was the article I found which caused me concern. But it's from 2012 and I still hear about people training under GBMAA so I wondered whether they sorted their issues and are now "fine".

But yeah, it cause me hesitation

8. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I wouldn't knowingly give money to a group that commits fraud.
    Especially when there are alternatives.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  9. Stunts

Stunts New Member

This is true

10. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Why/in what way?

11. Stunts

Stunts New Member

^

12. LetsGetItOn

LetsGetItOn Valued Member

My guess is that GBMAA were 'selling' (?) event insurance to fight promoters/martial arts clubs whilst not being authorised by the Financial Services Authority. I have used GBMAA for insurance for one of my kickboxing events - in short, they're doing what most sanctioning bodies do, they're selling 'sanctioning' for the insurance, but stupidly advertised it as selling event insurance... That is what i believe anyway.

End of the day though, why choose GBMAA? There's loads of alternatives, and more credible; ISKA, IMASA (low cost), BMABA, WUMA, etc, etc. The largest is probably the AMA, and reasonably priced. There's also the likes of Cobra and NAKMAS, but i believe they're more costly.

I am a UK representative for the lesser known, US-based, WKL - World Kickboxing League - and can also provide various memberships, licensing (that entitles you to our free insurance), grade ratification, etc.

13. Stunts

Stunts New Member

Thanks for the insight. You're right, there's loads of other bodies to chose from. But there's a particular amount that count for the UK Stunt Register.