Trump by name......

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Dead_pool, Dec 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Man, where to start? The Las Vegas shooters? Trump undercutting his own Secretary of State about diplomacy with North Korea? Trump mocking the Mayor of San Juan, chiding Puerto Rico for messing up the budget, telling its people to 'have fun' and tossing paper towels at them? Or this:

US joins Saudi Arabia and Iraq in voting against UN resolution condemning the death penalty for gay sex

The US has failed to join a UN resolution condemning the use of the death penalty to punish those who engage in apostasy, adultery, blasphemy or consensual same-sex relations.

David Harrison and Dead_pool like this.
  2. philosoraptor

Shooter, I was trying to type shootings but typed shooters. I didn't mean to inadvertently support the right wing conspiracy theories that have become a fixture of any shooting that doesn't involve a brown shooter.

Dead_pool likes this.
  3. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Wait a sec - did I get that right: They pretty much voted for allowing people getting executed for being gay?

Anyone left who will now explain, that there isn't a problem?

Regarding the Las Vegas shootings: I only heard about it when I was on my to the dojo yesterday.
    Crazy times.
    I haven't been following the News much lately; I only read that ISIS told it was them (never mind if they were, they'd be dumb not to claim that), but don't even know yet, if that was confirmed or not.

4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Its a bit complicated, the US view is that the resolution was against the death penalty in general, and the death penalty in particular for being gay etc etc.
    (I haven't read it myself though, so I don't know how accurate that is)
    Historically the US as a death penalty using country always votes against anything about stopping the death penalty.
    There might be more nuonce to it, but I wouldn't expect that to be understood by the trump regime.

Edit. Here's a link explain both sides and a link to the resolution too

U.S. Votes Against United Nations Ban on Death Penalty for Same-Sex Relations

Latikos likes this.
  5. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

You know that last one (as well as the link) is completely misleading right?

6. Dead_pool

As I've posted above, they're is some more nuonce, but it's not complely misleading.

7. Ero-Sennin

Resolution proposes ban on death penalty. Resolution also lists all the reasons death penalty is doled out across various countries. United States has states that use the death penalty, therefore vote against the resolution (as did the Obama administration). Person who buys into a specific agenda smash likes something without investigating because it fits agenda, manipulates resolution into being specifically about the death penalty for homosexuals.

Not misleading at all man.

Have we changed the rules of reading comprehension in the last few years or something?

8. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I don't know why the press didn't go for the real headline; which is that the US falls foul of many of the points contained in the resolution: discrimination by race, discrimination by socioeconomic status, execution of children, the rights of foreign prisoners (Guantanamo), and the fact that at least 1 in 10 executions are of innocent people.

You can read the resolution here (it's very short): http://ilga.org/downloads/HRC36_resolution_question_death_penalty.pdf

Hannibal and Dead_pool like this.
  9. Ero-Sennin

You mean more tangible issues instead of trying to tunnel vision a specific thing that's pretty irrelevant in the context of the United States to further the propaganda efforts against Trump even though we voted the same way as we did in the previous administration?

10. Dead_pool

This is the nub

"
    On 29 September 2017, the United States was one of 13 members of the United Nations Human Rights Council to vote against a resolution asking countries in which the death penalty is legal to ensure it is not applied “arbitrarily or in a discriminatory manner” or imposed to punish specific forms of conduct such as apostasy, blasphemy, adultery, and consensual same-sex relations.

The reply....
    As our representative to the Human Rights Council said last Friday, the United States is disappointed to have voted against that resolution. We voted against that resolution because of broader concerns with the resolution’s approach in condemning the death penalty in all circumstances, and it called for the abolition of the death penalty altogether. We had hoped for a balanced and inclusive resolution that would better reflect the positions of states that continue to apply the death penalty lawfully, as the United States does. The United States unequivocally condemns the application of the death penalty for conduct such as homosexuality, blasphemy, adultery, and apostasy. We do not consider such conduct appropriate for criminalization.Responding to such criticisms, U.S. State Department spokesperson Heather Nauert said during a 3 October press briefing that the much of the reporting on the United States’ position on the resolution had been misleading, and that despite appearances the U.S. “unequivocally condemns” the application of the death penalty to homosexuality, adultery, and religious offenses:"

So yes, actually its not a white a black situation.

But of course it's all fake news right, and only Alex jobs speaks the truth......

11. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I'd say less relevant, not irrelevant. Purely because of the trade and security relations between Saudi Arabia and the US.

I agree it was reported with tunnel vision though.

12. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

Can i just point out the obvious, the U.S has constitution to protect and outline the rights of its, i forget who it applies to otuside of citizens, i think it applies to legal residents as well. Do people just forget the bill of rights exists or something? :p

I agree with that its painting a narrative though, kind of worded like the U.S in general executes Homosexual couples and on grounds of blasphemy etc. (until the statement is given as to why they voted agaisnt it anyway)

13. Ero-Sennin

If you can't see how the framing of this topic was introduced and used to specifically target individuals in the current administration by being intentionally misleading and ill informed, then I really don't know what to tell you. Nobody said a damn thing about Alex Jones or any other topic, just this one specifically.

14. Dead_pool

I'll have to look at the actual wording, but if the snopes article is correct, it does show its not black and white

This is the important bit

"aresolution asking countries in which the death penalty is legal to ensure it is not applied “arbitrarily or in a discriminatory manner”

We all know America has a massive justice problem.

15. Dead_pool

16. Dead_pool

17. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

18. Dead_pool

You do see how each situation is completely different don't you?

19. philosoraptor

As of... what, a week ago? Trump was tweeting about "Rocket Man's" 25 year reign and the failures of Bush, Clinton and Obama in confronting him. I'm not sure what's worse - the thought that someone has not informed Trump that 25 years ago, Kim Jong Un was 8 years old, or the thought that he's been given that information and simply doesn't care. He's also referred to Un as achieving power as a young man, so honestly, I don't know what's going on in that guy's head.

Dead_pool likes this.
  20. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

Russia is the greater opponent, yes. However wasnt it put on this thread that for some reason if the U.S retaliated wiht a nuclear weapon Russia would nuke them, even though they are not allied with North Korea nor have any interest in it.

So i mean, directly declaring war on someone or threatening a retaliation with loose wording as to if you mean nuclear weapons or convetional which both can achive the desired effect.

You are going to have to elaborate further if thats not it. :p

(ultimately, i view these as not that diffrent, one is defensive and the other is offensive. The Russian economy is better than the Koreans one by a long shot though)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.