True Story Regarding A "Reality Based" SD Course

Discussion in 'Women's Self Defence' started by cxw, Sep 11, 2004.

1. KungFuGirl

KungFuGirl Valued Member

I find this insultory. You could have just said "Know that you are vulnerable" You didn't have to put women down.

I know you can't see it, but I'm glaring at you.

I disagree, most of the time, you'll drop it and it will be used against you.

2. RichieRich

RichieRich Valued Member

Always use your best judgement to avoid a situation and use your skills to there fullest to escape a situation.

3. MarioBro

MarioBro Banned Banned

I agree...I say kick to the groin while in the same instant, attack the eyes with thumbs or fingers or keys. In most cases if they are blocking the groin that means their hands are busy and their face is clear, as well as slightly forward. If they are not blocking the groin...well then they will be hurting and then it is a good time to either go for the eyes or run like heck while screaming like a banshee.

4. KungFuGirl

KungFuGirl Valued Member

I've always thought this as well. Better to go for the eyes and groin at once. Afterall, I have good balance. It would be hard to block both, especially when not expecting it.

5. wrydolphin

wrydolphin Pirates... yaarrrr Supporter

Two things Juan Ramirez, most rapests don't attack you. The majority of women raped know their attacker. Most rapes are date rapes or done by a friend or family member. All that stuff you hear in movies and on TV shows is pretty much a blow up of a few situations. What you are describing is a media stereotype. The other point, guys are always telling women that they need to not dress so nice or wear make up when out running or other truely stupid advice. Rape is not about sexuality. If it were about sexuality, then little old women would be safe. But they aren't. Neither are young boys, girls, women etc, etc, etc. We just had a rash of rapes and assaults here. One was a 72 year old woman, another a junior high student (male). Rape is about power and the relatively few violent attacks that do occur the victim is picked in the same way any predator picks any prey. The weak are attacked, the strong are not. Yes, this is a generalization, but one that stands well enough that I am pretty comfortable with it.

6. kenpoguy

kenpoguy The Last Dragon

Yes, the best solution is of course to avoid the situation :) No arguments there whatsoever. Although, there are certantily martial arts manuevers that can save you. The point being, they take time and dedication to learn. They are not something you can learn from one seminar. The average female would not be able to defend herself from the average male/would be rapist but the female with a history of martial arts(for an extended period of time) would learn what to do if it came to that. Now there is no guarentee it would work, but it is certnatily better to have that possiblity of knowing what to at least try to do, rather than just standing there allowing it to happen or screaming where she cant be heard. It goes for all males as well. If males are not trained in the martail arts and are sent to a one hour seminar on how to kill anyone they want to, they will the next day proclaim they can do just that and start pickign fights, only to lose and be embarassed. This also , contary to waht someone earlier said, is nothing like math class in many ways but in many ways is. This is real life, not a class that counts for a grade. If you think you can protect yourself against ANYONE and go around bragging about it, the only right thing to do is prove them wrong in one way or another. In public or not. Being nice about it isnt always the best thing by telling her, "im sure you are very good! Wow you can sure hit hard! I dont know what you jsut did with your hands but that sure looked like u knew what u were doing, could you teach me some!!!" Thus leading to her atempting to teach others, therebye causing others the same problem. Further false senses of security, until the one tragic person is forced to defend herself and actually cant. And for all of you, thinking about flaming me on this one(and I dont blame you, some of my words may be considered rather harsh)but it is what i feel to the truth. I will leave you with some wise words that have been said in the past.

You cannot say to yourself if your not the following, for purposes of motivation....

"I am a champion"
    "I am a bull"
    "I am undefeatable"
    "I am a tiger"
    "I am the supreme ruler of my world"

YOU CAN ONLY SAY...

"I want to be a champion"
    "I want to be a bull"
    "I want to be undefeatable"
    "I want to be a tiger"
    "I want to be the supreme ruler of my world"(would have some issues if this was the case :D )

NOW IF YOU START OUT WITH THE "I WANT..." AND ACTUALLY MANAGE TO OBTAIN IT THEN THERE IS NO NEED TO SAY ANYTHING! BECAUSE YOU ARE AND THAT SHOULD BE GOOD ENOUGH!

just my 2 cents on all of this

7. Judderman

Judderman 'Ello darlin'

Wise words.

I've had the pleasure of locking up some rapists in my time. I know little about how they commit their crimes, but as Wrydolphin points out they tend to go for people who are weak, or in situations where they can gain the upper hand easily.

As for the type of man that attacks women, I can honestly say that there are only two characteristics that I have found (note: this is NOT a statistical study) that typify a rapist. 1) Arrogance 2) Aggressive. That's it. Not much to go on is it? It is interesting to note that the statistics (UK) indicate that you are more likely to be raped by your partner, who, interestingly, is more likely to inflict physical injury. Of course serial stranger rapists, who will more likely kill you afterwards, are out there, but they are few and far between.

As far as carrying a weapon is concerned, I believe you should treat them in the same way you do your natural weapons (ie your body). In order to use them effectively you must become comfortable with them and learn how to use them. Pepper sprays are all well and good but don't act instantly. Given an attack will occur by surprise, I don't think you are going to have time to deploy and use it effectively.

If you are in doubt then pressure test it. Use something like salt water, which at best should be uncomfortable, then stage an attack. Tell us your results.

8. Rebecca

Rebecca New Member

Your post contained quite a bit of error, but this is utter nonsense. I know this from experience. I am a slow and akward runner, yet I managed to sprint across a college campus quite effectively in 4 inch heels, nylons, and a skirt. And the high heeled shoes didn't even have backs or ankle-straps.

9. Rebecca

Rebecca New Member

I agree that we should not instill false confidence in people. No one here was arguing that we should. However, I also don't see the point in telling women that it would take them years upon years of practice to be able to learn techniques that might be effective against an attacker. The truth of the matter is that women---small, untrained, physically unfit women---do fend off attackers. You rarely hear about it. Those stories don't make the news.

For example, not that long ago in our area, there was a really bizarre story in the news. Some guy broke into a woman's home while she was asleep in bed, jumped on top of her, pinned her down and tried to rape her. Now for the bizarre part: he suddenly stopped and ran away. News reports shed no light on this mystery. It turns out she defended herself so effectively that he fled.

My mother, as a tiny little girl, around 5 or 6 and very small for her age, escaped a child murderer---and rescued her sister as well.

I could go on with story after story. I love the book "Beauty Bites Beast", because it's full of practical and inspiring self-defense real-life stories.

As a small girl and woman, I've been told my entire life that I was weak and helpless. Self-defense? Laughably impossible. Resistance, by someone like me, was futile. So I was told.

Wrong.

I know that now.

What I don't get is why so many men seem to find a need to tell women how weak they are, especially women they've never seen. Try sparring my sister-in-law. Heheh.

Seriously, the guy who decided to publicly humiliate the woman who'd taken a quicky self-defense course should be glad she hadn't taken a class from my instructor years ago. (He now warns women not to get involved in these silly encounters.) One of his students was taunted after class by her husband. "You could never defend yourself! You probably don't remember anything from your class! What would you do if I grabbed you like this?" She remembered, all right. She broke the instep of his foot. Oops. She didn't mean to...

Once it healed, he came to the dojo. Suddenly he decided that maybe a novice could learn a few effective self-defense techniques.

And he never called his wife "weak" again.

10. shotokanwarrior

shotokanwarrior I am the One

11. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

Women aren't defenseless, really, but a man surrounded by a bunch (let's say 10) of guys trying to kick his ass will get his ass kicked. Just as a woman surrounded by a bunch of guys trying to rape her will be raped, most probably anyway.

As for the cat who "spoke" to the woman in the workplace. I think he was totally justified in his methods. First of all, the woman is not a 2 year old, and chances are simply speaking to her would have no impact. One must learn somehow right?

12. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Guys?

Man?

No cats?

YAY! :D

13. cybermonk

cybermonk New Member

:p

14. shotokanwarrior

Oh, poor Scarlet. That looked really painful.

*Watches Scarlet keel over clutching his "idiom"*

15. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

Idiom?

16. shotokanwarrior

1 a : the language peculiar to a people or to a district, community, or class : dialect b : the syntactical, grammatical, or structural form peculiar to a language
    2 : an expression in the usage of a language that is peculiar to itself either grammatically (as no, it wasn't me) or in having a meaning that cannot be derived from the conjoined meanings of its elements (as Monday week for »the Monday a week after next Monday¼)
    3 : a style or form of artistic expression that is characteristic of an individual, a period or movement, or a medium or instrument ²the modern jazz idiom³; broadly : manner, style ²a new culinary idiom³

17. cybermonk

cybermonk New Member

I think a simple "slang" would have done the trick a bit better...dont you?

18. shotokanwarrior

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It won't do because 1) Most importantly the word slang doesn't 'encapsulate' the meaning of idiom and 2) it won't do because I make a point of being an intellectual snob to counter the stereotype of young people as mindless thugs.

19. Dr NinjaBellydance

Dr NinjaBellydance What is your pleasure sir

I agree with your point, but its also worth keeping in mind that the person who's never been attacked realistically has NO IDEA how they will react if it actually happens. We can all talk the talk, but it's really all just so much hot air if you've never actually been there. :rolleyes:

PS: Good on you Rebecca, because I can barely walk in 4 inch heels, let alone run! ;)

And shotokan warrior, however you justify your 'intellectual snobbery', be careful, it's worth keeping in mind that it may be viewed as 'smart-arsery', which is another 'young person's stereotype'. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2004
  20. cybermonk

cybermonk New Member

Hmmmm... :cool:

:D