True Meaning of Karate?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by NotaMA, Dec 7, 2012.

1. NotaMA

NotaMA Valued Member

Okay so, I've been working out, getting in shape, and considering taking Karate for several months. I've found a Dojo and as soon as the christmas season is over, I'll start training there, possibly in early january or early february.

My reasons for learning Karate are obscure, even to myself. I don't want to learn Karate to fight or learn self defense per se, so much as I want to learn the art in itsself. Physical and mental discipline and control, and I want to master and preserve the art in order to pass it down to the next generation and ensure its survival, as well as the fact that Karate is a positive activity and skill that can last a lifetime. It's an accomplishment. As the MAP member ap Oweyn said, we hold ourselves accountable for something bigger than ourselves and we feel pressure, otherwise we're just flailing about in the back garden.

You could say I have somewhat of a fixation on Martial Arts, maybe even a fanaticism. This is what drives me to want to learn and practice the art. Plus the fact that it's just such a fascinating ability, and it just captivates you, makes you want to learn it too. The art, the legacy, the philosophy, etc. it's all just so mystical and awe-inspiring. I want to learn everything I can about it, and then pass it down. My reason for learning is for the art itsself. self-defense, competition, and all that come after the art. The art comes first then every other use or aspect. I guess it's like that one Samurai saying, "From one thing know a thousand".

But despite this, I am still somewhat Unaware as to the actual true meaning of Karate. Everything stated above are my own feelings and theories concerning this matter. I have considered Google useless when it comes to this question.

I need an answer from an actual practitioner.

So, what is the true meaning of Karate? Did I hit the nail on the head or am I a mile off?

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

The true meaning is....

....at the whim of the instructor

That is really it - it is not magical, mystical, spiritual or philosophical unless you are taught it that way or want to make it that way. It's no more esoteric than tiddly-winks despite what many will claim.

3. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

there is none. there are many meanings, none of which is a "true" one.

if you wanna find out what the head honchos of different systems think about it, you might wanna get a book called "the karate code", by jesse enkamp, but bear in mind it's exactly that: a bunch of masters talking about what karate means to them, so it might not be entirely interesting to you if you're not already training.

4. Happy Feet Cotton Tail

Happy Feet Cotton Tail Valued Member

Imprinting meaning is a human activity. No inherent meaning in Karate, outside of the meaning given to it by those who practise it. :)

For me, it is a physical training tool with some mental benefits accompanied by an interesting culture.

5. melbgoju

melbgoju Valued Member

From this practitioner's point of view, I don't think there is a "true" meaning of karate, beyond what you give to it.

It started off as a varied, semi-private, highly individualised set of civilian defense techniques amongst certain sections of the 19th century (maybe earlier, and also for some styles, later) Okinawan community and has since morphed, metamorphed and metastasised into the many-headed monster it is today. There is no one karate, and there is no one, single meaning.

For me, the art has become more and more of the focus, but not in its preservation. My view is that preservation is akin to pinning the butterfly in a case - it is no longer alive and although the outer shell is there, it is empty and hollow inside. My focus within the art is turning it from "karate" to "my karate".

But I'm sure there will be as many opinions on this as there are people who do karate :)

6. NotaMA

NotaMA Valued Member

So judging by all of your insightful answers, Karate has no fixed mystical secret meaning.

I guess the "Meaning" is to make it Yours, as melbgoju said. Don't preserve it and smother it to death, let it live and be free, make it grow and adapt, and eventually it becomes "Your" karate as he said.

Keep what is useful, Discard what is not, and Add what is uniquely your own.

At least I think that's what he meant.

7. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Karate is a heck of a lot of punching and kicking people. You can add as much mysticism as you want, but it's kind of like icing on the cupcake. At the end of the day, no matter how much icing you put on that thing, it's just a cake, and karate is still beating the tar out of someone with your hands and feet.

8. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

From a practitioners point of view, karate is a very personal thing. Every single person will develop their own karate differently from the next. Some people will tell you karate has no meaning, but that's not true. Karate just has a different meaning to everyone. Every style offers different things, some styles have a written ethical code, some don't.

There isn't any magic, but there is deffinitely meaning.

Also, speaking from a purely technical perspective, karate offers just about envy thing you could want for stand up fighting, and some styles (goju ryu for example) have ground fighting. It's deffinitely more than punching and kicking.

9. NotaMA

NotaMA Valued Member

Okay, so now I'm definately sure that Karate's meaning is basically "Keep what is useful, discard what is not, and add what is uniquely your own" at least judging by what you're all said.

Basically, Karate is a foundation on which you must build your own house or "Method" of Karate.

....Right?

10. Grass hopper

Basically, but try not to think of karate as concrete, although the katas are to be preformed exactly, they are the foundation.

Then, there are the non-physical parts. Many styles (mine included) have ethical codes of conduct for the practitioners to follow. Those are very important. What style is it you will be taking up? If you know the name that is.

11. NotaMA

NotaMA Valued Member

I don't know, but the Sensei's name is Kyoshi Corey Waiters. Just search his name and you'll find the site.

12. Grass hopper

I've never been to the school, so I can't say for sure, but that place seems a little more martial than art. That's a good thing if you wanna learn to fight though. In the context of mma the karate will probably be more of just the punching and kicking.

13. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Just make sure you go to a good school, because if you dedicate your life to preserving a pile of dog poop then that's not going to win you any Nobel Prize's..

14. Grass hopper

Ask the instructor about kata, if they don't do kata they don't do karate. That's a start.

15. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

Martial arts all have the same purpose and meaning, crushing your opponents. Combative skills is primary, everything else is secondary.

16. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Quite true, especially once you realize the only opponent is yourself.

17. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

That's like saying if it doesn't have focus mitts it isn't boxing. Aren't kata just a training tool to teach folks how to fight?

18. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

No they bloody aren't!!! :evil:

Good point though - I know every single technique in the shukokai and shotokan systems (I was awarded a BB in shotokan) but can't do a Kata for buttons!

Kata is a training tool, nothing more - and to me an outmoded one, but that's a personal thing

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  19. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

The conqueror is the one who conquers themself :)

20. Kuniku

Kuniku The Hairy Jujutsuka

Hehe I'm sure you could have an excellent discussion with a training partner of mine, he's a Nidan in Wado Ryu Karate, and he is AAAALLLLLL about the kata, as i've heard repeatedly when he's had one too many on jujitsu social weekends lol