Trouble deciding which martial arts to take up after separation

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by PSYCHOLinguist, May 5, 2017.

1. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

Yes, you can learn to defend yourself against a knife. Just not reliably. It's the last ditch effort before dying. An aggressive, athletic person with a knife will absolutely destroy 80% of the black belts out there. It's good to know and train, but recognize it for what it is.

Multiple attackers involves lots of running so you only deal with one at a time. You can't stand there in the middle and take them on. Cardio is your friend. The best combination is a combat sport like judo or wrestling, and add SD on top of that.

2. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I actually doubt, that the person needs to be athletic.
    If the person is determinded enough, that's probably enough.

My Sensei told us, when we first did knife defends, give him/her everything (s)he wants. If it's your underwear, give him/her that. Defending against weapons should be a last resort.

And then he showed us, what we learn to defend against - and what is more likely to happen in reality.
    He adds weapon defences mostly for the gradings and a few things that might(!) work, if you get lucky.

Langenschwert likes this.
  3. Martinroy

Martinroy Valued Member

Choose one in which you have interest even a minor....
    Or one..which is easily available...

4. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

Judo has a lot of practical applications for standing fighting while wearing clothes. It has good overlaps between both BJJ that you have done and karate that you are thinking of doing. I would definitely give it a try.

Langenschwert likes this.
  5. stephacts238

stephacts238 Valued Member

Thanks for posting this. I am in mostly the same position, military relocations yay, though my martial arts choices are different. Having to start over again is getting frustrating.

6. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

oh it is Psychopath intensifes :p

As people have stated before but doing it more general, a grappling one and a striking one. If you want self defence grappling tends to be good for that. (as long as it doessufficientt amounts of standup and isnt just ground fighting) But at least you like some of the more popular martial arts so there is a higher chance of one being at your next posting.

There is also a reason why grappling was popular historically. I have been watching too many HEMA videos. (granted it was usually to fend off somone until you could get your weapon out)

7. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Good luck!

8. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

As i cant edit, you can try asking some of the ninjutsu schools you think look frady what a ninja is, if they dont answer correctly i would severly doubt they would know ninjutsu. The correct answer as to whata ninja is, is a inteligence operative of Feudal Japan rather than a assassin for feudal japan. (if they answer correctly, they can still be frauds, it would just raise suspecion if they teach ninjitsu and dont know what a ninja did primarily)

9. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

The club and the teacher are more important than the art. some clubs and teachers will let you bring in knowledge from other arts others will not.

For example we try to include unscripted training in every session. I say that anyone can use any technique they know from any art so long as it is appropriate to the skill of their partner. Within limits for safety (hard concrete floor so no throws or unexpected trips). I do make suggestions to better integrate applications into the style that I teach– e.g. adding kung fu foot work to jjj locks etc. Even in more scripted drills and applications I am happy to discuss peoples perspective from other arts. So they can see how their previous art relates to kung fu.

as a rule of thumb the more unscripted sparing done in the club the more chance you will be able to use what you already know.

thinking of arts that share transferable details - I remember hearing some verbal history (cant remember where or when i heard it) that the creator of aikido spent time learning in china and that much of aikido is based on bag wa principles.

Not sure how much of this is true as I have only recently began to learn bag wa and have very little aikido expericne - but anyway, it might be worth you checking out baug wa to see for yourself. As it apears that know one can agree on how to pronounce the name let alone spell it - try researching eighth trigram boxing.

10. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Don't open that can o' worms!

:eek:??? Pa Kua, Ba Gua,and one other. Pa/Ba (8) doesn't have a "g" sound on the end.

Any self-respecting CMA practitioner knows THAT!

Drop and give us 20.
    ;)

OP-Judo is fairly worldwide so a good bet to find & not have to keep starting over every time you're transferred.Boxing too.[/QUOTE]

11. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

apparently not - just try googling bagwa (example bellow picked at random)

Bagwa (aka Bagua or Pakua) as a martial art is based on the theory of continuous change in response to a given situation. It is an internal form of traditional Moo Doe that sharpens reflexes and cultivates the understanding of one’s mind and body. Just as Feng Shui is used as a tool to enhance positive Chi energy throughout one’s home, Bagwa, through movement focuses the positive Chi (energy) within the body, redirecting and removing the negative Chi, harmonizing one’s mind and body....

In addition the spellings you provide above are not consistent with the rules of pronunciation in English . In English a vowel at the end of a syllable says its name so Ba in Ba Gua should correctly be pronounced to sound as if it were spelt Bay. Which would sound daft and be wrong. !!

wot ? people unable to agree on the correct way to do something in traditional arts . :eek: