Triangles, omoplatas, funky stuff from the guard!

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Bon, Aug 9, 2003.

1. Bon

Bon Banned Banned

I've been catching a few more of these in sparring recently, when I first started I could never even get close to them, I'd get stacked up and have my guard passed.

To the people who catch these things regularly in sparring, is there a window of opportunity that must be taken to get these? Obviously when I see things I go for them, but one time I saw an opportunity for a triangle choke and then it was gone.

How do you go about setting them up? I'm hopeless at setting things up from my guard compared to on top since I have no weight or leverage I can apply.

2. thiaboxr2

thiaboxr2 New Member

Since there are various of methods of getting out of the guard, I will give you one method of trying to keep it.

Assuming your ankles are crossed behind your opponent, you can pull him in to you everytime he tries to break the guard(unlock the ankles) You can pull him and push him at your leisure providing your ankles are locked. This helps to keep him off balance.

Lets say he will try to pass to his left.
    If he manages to break your guard and slide his left shoulder under your right leg, take your right foot and hook it under his left leg. At the same time his left arm is on your right side. Grab it. This prevents him(hopefully)from pulling out/free.

Using your left hand you can grab his left lapal and pull him closer to you all the while you are using your left leg to keep your opponents body low.

Now keep in mind that you have your opponents right arm to worry about. He may try to pass on the right(your left). Now more options open up.

I am going to stop her because without actual pictures, anyone can easily get lost in this. Now I did not mention any finishing techniques. They vary as well. There are too many options when it comes to grappling. The above is just one if you manage to ward off his escaping the guard. Performing the technique will take less time than reading this post! Its easier to be shown than to be explained to.