Treatment of youngsters...

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Stolenbjorn, May 15, 2006.

1. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

I'm refearing to the "plz hlp m" -thread. This seems to be a post posted by a rather young guy (as he can be looking up ot a 13 year old with awe) :p

I am of those who likes this forum to be serious, using proper english, etc.

I allso get frustrated by some from time to time.

But

Was this "titan" properly adressed?

I mean; I would certainly feel stupid if I was exposed to the same treatment as "Titan" had to go through. OK, that he didn't write proper english OK, that he asked a rather weird question, but shouldn't we (adults) behave a little more adult when we're correcting others wrongs?

I have nothing againsh the thread beeing closed, or him beeing corrected from writing bad english. What I critisize is the ridicule of his question.

In the norwegian army we learn that there is no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid answers, and I think this one applied to titan's thread :cry:

2. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

This was not his first thread but one of several, he had already been replied to about his other very immature posts and fantastic stories (shuriken, gangsters, learning fro DVDs etc.)before coming up with this one, and his profile says he is 24 so if he is as young as you assume from his posting, he is exposed as a liar. Should we be nice to people like that?

3. Stolenbjorn

Hmm, it's hard to turn the other cheek...
    I still think we should rebuke people in a respectful manner. Even if he was only pulling our leg; perhaps he finds it fun to read peoples (frustrating) replies? Perhaps he got bored if people only gave polite answers, then ignoring his posts if he kept ponding things he'd allready been given answers to?

That way we don't hurt his feelings if he happens to be a (naive) newbee, and the true trolls do mabye give up on teasing us?

4. Stolenbjorn

Hmm, it's hard to turn the other cheek...
    I still think we should rebuke people in a respectful manner. Even if he was only pulling our leg; perhaps he finds it fun to read peoples (frustrating) replies? Perhaps he got bored if people only gave polite answers, then ignoring his posts if he kept ponding things he'd allready been given answers to?

That way we don't hurt his feelings if he happens to be a (naive) newbee, and the true trolls do mabye give up on teasing us?

(Cool squid you have, by the way :D )

5. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

Feel free to take me to take me to task regarding Titan and my treatment thereof.

I have plenty to say if you ask.

Oh, and this thread does not belong in the weapons forum

Regards

6. People who intentionally spell things wrong should be shot.

u r 2 kl btw. :D

7. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Dave - as it is about posts here, its staying here.

As dougie has said, this particular member was told repeatedly to get to an instructor and took zero notice. If someone comes to a site asking for advice, gets the best advice we can give and yet doesnt take the advice because its not what they wanted, they (IMO) deserve a bit of flames.

The advice we give here can help members to avoid serious injury, avoid injuring someone else or even avoid a spell at Her Majesty's Pleasure. If they dont take the advice, they deserve anything they get.

Thats my non-mod view ;)

8. Wolf

Wolf Totalitarian Dictator

That's pretty much a text book definition of trolling. If you troll on MAP you get flamed. Simple as that.

9. Stolenbjorn

So it's OK to flame people on this forum, then. I'll just have to accept that people don't see the downsides with it (the risk of nailing some innocent newbee). Perhaps I should join the fray next time somebody annoys us/me ;)

10. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I think part of the problem is that we seem to get quite a number of 'trolls' who post rubbish just to wind people up. Since it is impossible to distinguish them from the 'clueless kid' type of poster, I think people often mistake one for the other.

11. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

The guy who inspired this thread posted a load of nonsense thne rejected all sensible advice, he was a troll, no doubt about it even if he did not know himself. note well I do not mean the starter of this thread.

12. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

We can be admittedly hard on some of the younger posters in this forum, but there is a solid reason for it.

This isn't "Oh, let me pick up a DVD on OMei Snake Fist, learn a form, and impress my friends". His thread on shuriken, for example, was "someone tell me where to buy sharp pointy offensive weapons because I am teh mad roxxor and want to hurt people".

Personally, I think we have an obligation when dealing with younger posters to absolutely discourage this type of behaviour. Many schools take issue with teaching minors to use sharp pointy objects which can hurt people. Many of the recent threads which have been created in this forum have come from younger posters with what appears to be minimal MA experience asking where to get said sharp pointy objects so they can become "self-taught loonies", to borrow a phrase from the Flame Form.

The problem I see is this: It's one thing to show someone a fancy kick or punch. The reality is that they probably won't have any skill to really use it properly, and all their little friends will be safe when the knucklehead tries a butterfly kick and falls flat on his face. When the same knucklehead decides it's time to play with sharp pointy objects, someone will get hurt. Especially judging from the tone of the posts in question. Sorry, not going to aid some knucklehead in obtaining a weapon he doesn't know how to use so he can either (a) show off to his friends and hurt someone, or (b) carry the things illegally (in many countries) and risk his actually using them as a weapon, hurting or killing himself or someone else because he is a clueless self-taught loonie. Legally, we probably bear no responsibility. But we have a moral obligation to tell them to get an instructor and if they want to whine about it, tough.

Last edited: May 16, 2006
  13. Wolf

Wolf Totalitarian Dictator

If you read the part of his quote that I bolded, it says: "perhaps he finds it fun to read peoples (frustrating) replies?" As I said, that's trolling, not n00b innocence. If you're guilty of trolling, then expect flaming. I don't agree with or participate in flaming of innocent questions. If the person is new to MA they just need to be educated, and we should offer up advice/info as we can. How can you tell if this person is a troll? See how many times they ask for advice, don't listen, then post another stupid question. More than a couple times, and they step into troll territory.

14. Stolenbjorn

I totally agree, that's why I started this thread. Because youngsters won't learn anything form us if they (after beeing suspected of trolling and have been at the recieving end of the flaming)-finds us rude, hates us, or think that we are self-importaint pompeous besserwissers.

I realize that trolls should be dealt with; but I'm going to leave it to the proffesional trollslayers (that IMHO should be the moderators, and moderators alone), and that people should expel, or ignore trollers. The fact that trolls create "noise" on the forums isn't helped by tripeling the noise by adding counternoise (which I feel that flaming is).

15. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

The ModSquad can't be everywhere, nor should they have to be, IMO.

I am very familiar with the threads in question, and the guy was a jerk. We gave him the party line about getting an instructor, etc, and lost it. We can only say "get thee to an instructor" so many times before we tell him where to stick his throwing stars.

16. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

True, totally true! One other point for Stolenbjorn, if anyone, troll or not, can make a valid point or arguement, they may get some heat but not flamed. When people make remarks that people perceive as shrugging off the advice that they asked for. by all means they get the afterburner! Any MA practitioner that demonstrated that sort of attitude to his instructors or masters would be beat up and down the dojo! So on this site, they can get flamed, or banned, or locked out. :cool:

17. Dave Humm

Nunchaku, Sai and of late, Shuriken are popular subjects on this forum because they're romanticised about or seen in TV and film, this brings them to the forefront of a particular cross section of the community.

I haven't seen a thread about any of these weapons recently by a student of an art which those weapons form part of the curriculum and, has a question of any sensibility to it at all.

Here are some stats.

Posts containing information about Nunchacku = 500

Posts containing information about Sai = 175

Posts containing information about Shuriken = 274

and

More Shuriken aka "Throwing Stars" = 73

and

Even more about Shuriken aka "Ninja Stars" = 78

Examples of threads started without common sence or the use of the search facility. This is just a set of examples from the "Nunchaku" stats, each thread locked and closed by a member of the Mod team.

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52699&highlight=nunchaku

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49469&highlight=nunchaku

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51983&highlight=nunchaku

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49523&highlight=nunchaku

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49486&highlight=nunchaku

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43510&highlight=nunchaku

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43683&highlight=nunchaku

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38768&highlight=nunchaku

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38388&highlight=nunchaku

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27900&highlight=nunchaku

And just to make my point a little more, looking at the "Weapons Forum" index at the moment we have FOUR threads of the same useless material all locked and closed off.

1 Ninja Stars

2 Some help plz, even though i , well u know wat i mean

3 Purchasing a Shuriken

4 Need New Nunchaku

Regards

Last edited: May 18, 2006
  18. kyokutsuki

kyokutsuki Valued Member

I have awful spelling yet my volcabulary is pretty good, yet i feel that is hard to fully express my self in forums like this, for being ridiculed on my spelling and grammer ! Im only 15!
    I know its wrong to blame our english skills on a era with IM's and text messaging and sayin that it has made us lazy.
    But i still think as adults you have to have a little more patients. Its you responsibility as Senior people to question the person who made the iilegable post and to try and politly correct them. Not RIDICULE THEM !

19. ember

ember Valued Member

By 15, I could spell. There's even dictionaries online, if you don't like the paper version.

Homophones, anyone?

20. Dave Humm

You have to be kidding.. Right ? A year and a half BEFORE you complete your full time education !!
    Firstly I'd like to point out that at aged 15 YOU are becoming part of the "adults" you refer too, I think it's time to consider what that means. Secondly no one ridicules anyone, its part of the TOS of this website membership that we use plain English not TEXT speak. As far as I'm concerned, if that's too hard for someone to comply with, they need to be educated in the terms of this site and, if they persist, they'll get nothing from me by way of knowledge or experience.

I come from and old-school military background (and I'm only just 40) There's no excuse for ignorance, ignorance of fact, ignorance in attitude. If people have learning disabilities then that's fair enough, I will go right out of my to help anyone genuinely looking to better themselves however, the vast majority of people who post their drivel in this forum need to THINK before posting and run their post through a spell checker such as MS word or another desktop application.

Might I suggest you do the same, take a look at both your spelling and grammar - See Bold Text. Because communicating via these forums is essentially a "faceless" method and, the valuable interaction gained when talking to someone in person is lost thus, making the right impression through the written format here starts pretty much with the composition of one's posts, then the content. It's about being taken seriously

Regards

Last edited: May 21, 2006