Traveling to the place of origin.

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Singto Laaw, Sep 15, 2004.

1. Singto Laaw

Singto Laaw Strictly Muay Thai

How many other fellow MA out there have traveled to the birthplace of their chosen art?

Especially those of the higher grades....

2. Humblebee

Humblebee PaciFIST's evil twin

boxing

Well boxing is/was one of mine so i suppose i have,not very intresting but i'm sure it will be this is an intresting topic.

3. Mengcunman

Mengcunman Valued Member

After several years of training in CMA I had the chance to join a few people to go to Cangzhou to train in CMA.

The last 2 years I was able to go to Mengcun and learn under sifu Wu. Learning Baji Quan from a direct decendent of the 'founder'. In the same village where the founder lived.
    It was really great ...

4. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

I went to Korea as a red belt in TKD and a background in Combat Hapkido. I worked there in a nice 9 to 5 job and was able to train 5 days a week, (sometimes double classes) for a couple hours a day (often 3 ) for 4 years. I studied Taekwondo, Hapkido, and another type of Hapkido called Korea Guard's Martial Art.

The experience was great and I was able to work and train with some great people. With so many schools there, I was able able to run across some lousy ones, too! It was nice to learn my chosen art(s) within the context of the language, history and culture as well. As for training, I think it shows that you don't have to be "from the homeland" to be a great instructor. I am happy to be back with my original instructor... who is helping me train harder and reach greater heights.

Let me know if you have any specifi questions I can answer. Also check out:

Moving to Korea
    http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10143
    TKD Programs in Korea
    http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8743

5. Visage

Visage Banned Banned

Ooo, Baji... I love Baji, just a pity its not availiable around here :(

6. Mengcunman

Mengcunman Valued Member

that's why I studied it in China ! ;)

first time I went was in 1997.
    If your not afraid of doing some travelling you can go where you want and learn what you want .... it is just a question of finding th right teacher

7. Visage

Visage Banned Banned

Im saving money at the moment to go traveling over china and japan for a couple of years now. Hopefully i'll be able to get some Baji while im there :D

On this note:
    The johnson trip to china fund is still alive and going strong. All donations gratefully received :)

8. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

I have never been to Korea, but I did train with Korean masters.

9. shadow joe

shadow joe seeker of truth

likewise i've trained with people from the "origin" but never traveled, i suppose i am anxious to try and travel. My sifu takes regular trips to different locales to train with well known people. He would whole heartedly agree with the "finding the right teacher comment." One time he told me there's just as many fraud's abroad as there is here. Other people in the world know a particular place is popular as a martial source and will setup shop there in hopes to attract business. On the other hand i think it can be extremely beneficial. Maybe moreso in days past, everything is so global now...

For instance I knew a guy who claimed to train in Thai camps in thailand and he had the shirt to prove it ;) ... along with the form... but when Ajarn Chai came in to town locally, the other local students who had been training with Ajarn over the years were ten times better than the guy who had "origin" experience. i guess what i'm saying is its possible to bring the origin back home.

Although I for one desperately want to go to thailand, hopefully to find a good teacher, but also for the food if nothing else! :D

10. Singto Laaw

How many people have had an opportunity to train with a Master, who is only over for a week or so for seminars?

Have you noticed the big difference between your normal training and the training of a visiting Master?

As a foreigner to the eastern arts, we can only be so good! But the foreign master, are masters for a good reason. Its their art!

11. Mr. Anderson

Mr. Anderson Valued Member

I went to Thailand for 6 weeks and was fortunate enough to watch a few Muay Thai events. This was 6 years ago though and before I had started martial arts. Maybe it influenced me at some level - I was very impressed!

12. Singto Laaw

I was interested really in knowing how many off us travel to the place of origin.

We spend so much time and effort and money on our chosen style, yet we tend to skirt around visiting the place of origin.

I know when I first traveled to my arts place of origin, it gave me somethin to aim for. A new higher goal to reach. I got the opportunity to see, and sort of understand why they where so good.

Now a few trips later, I am starting to get a much better feel for what my art is about. The trips every time relight my enthusiam for the art, everytrip opens new ideas and concepts to be tried out.

13. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Visiting the place of origin can be fun, inspirational, motivational and great in many ways. However, place of birth does not automatically make the instructor better or worse. I enjoyed great training in Korea with soem Graet masters and I enjoy great training in the US with some great masters. Finding the roots and ideals of a system does not have to be a pilgrimage to a faraway land... much of it is right in front of you.