Trapping in groundwork

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Dead_pool, May 15, 2019.

1. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

This is a lovely video on the importance of hand control in MMA/BJJ.

I've been having the Nurm grip used against me a lot recently and it's a very powerful way to control people.

This is a lovely breakdown of the position too,

2. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Love the gift wrap in both MMA and grappling and the leg over arm from back mount,

Always nice when you can isolate their limbs so you can attack with more than they can defend.
    It seems these hand controls in MMA are coming back into vogue with high class wrestlers who don't want to turn you or advance position but ride you and control and punish.

Ryan Bader does this so well as well.

axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  3. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Yup. Always used the giftewrap...

Also pulled off a trapped arm/RNC last week.

4. Dead_pool

Talking of RNCs, limb control and giftwraps, that's been my main goal training for the last few months, I'm normally very armbar/triangle focused so taking the back putting them face down and finishing from theirs (or sideways/face up as they escape) has been really good for my game.

I never used to worry about hand fighting, I used to think if the position was good enough, time in the position would be enough, but a little handfighting goes a long way.

Giovanni and axelb like this.
  5. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Nice instructional on the gift wrap here

6. Dead_pool

^ I only found the BJJ Globetrotters youtube page last week it's an outstanding resource.

Cheers for the link!

Edit: that is a great way to link the GW with the Kimura Grip!
    Thanks!!!

Last edited: May 18, 2019
    icefield likes this.
  7. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Yep kimura and gift wrap work perfectly together, great control positions

My game lately is almost built around the kimura as a control position much more than a submission, linking it with the GW to take the back.

Similarly I'm using the guillotine specifically the chin wrap/control also as a control position.

And also playing around with inside triangles entries because who doesn't like heel hooks :)

axelb likes this.
  8. Vince Millett

Vince Millett Haec manus inimica tyrannis MAP 2017 Gold Award

Mushroom likes this.
  9. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Mushroom likes this.
  10. Mushroom

I been working on the double wrist lock a lot more as a position. But everyone knows its something I go straight into. Usually from side control/NS. So it seems everyone is prepped to defend/counter it.

Although, I've snuck in a sneaky choke in there now :p

11. Dead_pool

I love ns kimura as a position, with a Gi, you can trap the wrist with the loose end of the lapel, and it's Gi choke city, or go Erik Paulson style and hit a sideways triangle.

I went to a dave camirillo seminar last year, and it was based on a flat NS Kimura position, where you ride them in a sprawl posture, with all your weight through the laced forearm, in the kimura tie up. Savage as hell!

axelb and Mushroom like this.
  12. Mushroom

Yeah I love this position...

However, although I try getting the hand control like how Josh does it to break the defending grip...my hands are sweaty, my partners are sweaty. My hand just slides off.
    So I'll go into an armbar/knee on belly etc. But I been playing with a lapel choke too.

PS. 90% Im countered and I end up upside down somewhere somehow lol

Dead_pool likes this.
  13. Dead_pool

The pull the shoulder out of neutral position is a great universal detail!

This is a similar detail from kimura bottom,

And armbar top too:

Mushroom and Dunc like this.
  14. Mushroom

Love it. Revving the forearm, monkey grip. I also shove their face downwards, so theyre looking at the floor and pinch my knees together. Just to stretch that neck/shoulder area a little bit more and make it more uncomfy.