Trap/Hex/Shrug Bars!

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by GhostOfYourMind, Dec 8, 2005.

1. GhostOfYourMind

GhostOfYourMind Bewaters lil Iron Monkey

I forgot about these things, and vaguely remember how damn good a workout I got using one (and the amount of weight that could be used is a bonus). So can someone point me to a decent 100-150 buck bar? I found one by CAP barbell, but I think it only holds 400lbs. max (knowing myself, I'll need more capacity...:D). Man I loved these things, I knew I forgot something for the home gym...and no power rack required.. hehe... Squatlift! Thanks ya'll!

2. Athleng Nordic

Athleng Nordic Sadly passed away. RIP. Supporter

3. BoxBabaX

BoxBabaX H+F Baba ^^

Sigh, i need my own gym at home :cry:

4. Athleng Nordic

So get one. A rack and the bar and plates are fairly cheap. Can you earn and spare $200.00? Oops, forgot to mention the all important bench, so add $60.00.

5. BoxBabaX

BoxBabaX H+F Baba ^^

Actually i would love to spend like 500 on some equipment, but the problem is, i dont have any room :cry:

Last edited: Dec 8, 2005
  6. Athleng Nordic

Oh that's different all together. :D

7. Combatant

Combatant Monsiour Fitness himself.

Whats wrong with the garden? Seriously, all you need is a trap bar, some plates, a chin bar, and some dip bars and you are well on your way.

8. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

I've got one. Cost me 120quid, I will post pics up later when I put them on. AWESOME purchase.

9. Skrom

Skrom Banned Banned

are hex bars better than straight bars for deadlifting?

10. Combatant

Yes IMHO. I personally feel it takes all the good stuff from the squat and deadlift and eliminates the bad to make one hell of an exercise. Just my opinion though.

11. JokerFMJ

JokerFMJ Valued Member

I would imagine they help quite a bit for grip strength, no?

12. GhostOfYourMind

Thanks Nordic. Damn good deal. I need to save up....actually, first I need to get my job back, then I need to save up. Then I need to convince my parents...lol! Anyways, thanks for the link.

Joker- yeah, it'll work your grip pretty well:D.

I can't believe I forgot about this before christmas rolled around....D'OH! :eek:

13. DSDbronson

DSDbronson Master of Sports & Women

The Super Deadlift Bar is my favorite little find http://www.muscledriver.com/sudebar.html
    but at 5 1/2 feet long I can't tell how much weight it's going to hold. 4 45's on each side would make it around 400lbs. I really can't tell from looking at it but I'm thinking 400-600lbs is going to be it's max. Might have to go with the Super-Trap bar, Super meaning extra weight capacity. I'm going to have to email Muscle Driver to settle this I guess.

14. BoxBabaX

BoxBabaX H+F Baba ^^

My dear combat, i wish i had a garden :cry: we live in a condo, no garden, no extra room, theres hardly enough room for the crap we have, i live in a small place.

15. Athleng Nordic

You know it. Since you recommended it to me and I bought one I've upped my dead/squat by 30 lbs. Well worth the investment.

16. Athleng Nordic

And people in Washington wonder why Californian's migrate to Washington. :D

17. GhostOfYourMind

Thanks DSD. Funky looking, but who cares right?:D I'll decide later then I guess.

While we're at it. What kinda results has anyone gotten from trap/hex/shrug bar "squatlifting"? I remember being able to handle MUCH more weight than usual. Didn't do it often enough to notice anything though...:(

18. Combatant

Quite a few manufacturers are making this style of bar now. I have a feeling it was IVANKO that started it off, not sure though. Same principle though as the hex/gerard style.

Ghost, I added about 20 kilos to my squat in about a week! So I guess it worked pretty instantly for me. lol Best investment I ever made.

19. GhostOfYourMind

~44lbs. in a week? That's very impressive! Starting from the bottom too might have something to do with it...no SSC to help you the first rep.:D

20. Athleng Nordic

It's also ergonomically correct, which means you have to have correct form to do the lift. Thus better and faster gains from the lift.