translation assist please

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by bujingodai, Aug 20, 2010.

1. bujingodai

bujingodai Retired Supporter

I had this done in Japan, like many others years ago. I actually hung the wrong one in the dojo for a number of years til being corrected here that it was my friends copy instead of what I had asked, but can someone translate this for me please

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. The Unholy

The Unholy Banned Banned

I showed it to my wife, a native speaker with higher education, and she said she could not make out what it was supposed to say.

Hatsumi's calligraphy has that sort of reputation.

3. bujingodai

Thanks Don, it's supposed to say Honshin, but you are correct about hatsumi, my other works is off a little too from him from what was requested.

4. jorvik

jorvik Valued Member

it actually says " fried Chicken rice , one bag of fries and Two cokes to go".......and the "kanji" is a bit hard to translate.....but hey

5. Anpanman

Anpanman Valued Member

Second charactor reads "wealthy" can't make out the first but am working on it

6. bujingodai

LOL, that's hilarious.
    Hatsumi is known for it right, say one put another there. Haha. Good on him.

yes when you find out the 1st character please do tell me.

7. Anpanman

Anpanman Valued Member

Give up

Can't make it out, I'd say it's Chinese but not sure.

8. bujingodai

Just for comparative sake, can someone actually post kanji that would say honshin, as in meaning true heart

9. SeongIn

SeongIn Banned Banned

本心 (honshin)
    ほんしん (honshin) - (n) true feelings; intention

Written cursively, it should look similar to the following which I have created as example:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  10. bujingodai

Thank you very much. Yes that looks nothing like the calig I received. LOLOL. Sneaky Hatsumi!!

11. Anpanman

Anpanman Valued Member

Honshin example in usage

彼は本心をなかなか明らかにしなかった。

or

彼のいんぎんさは本心ではないかもしれない。

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  12. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

And just to test my n00bish reading of Japanese - are the characters "origin" and "heart"?

13. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Looks to me like the top character is a man with a heavy brow and a broken nose having a right old chuckle at something. :)

The bottom one is a lady dressed in a voluminous victorian dress, a hat with a large feather and both hands in a mink stole with her short husband behind her trying to make amends for some sort of social faux pas.

Ain't pareidolia great?

14. SeongIn

SeongIn Banned Banned

Etymologically (the origin and history of words):

本 = "Trunk, stump of a 木 tree, across the 一 line that denotes the earth." By extension: root, source, origin, native; main; that, this, the; me; essential.

心 = "It represents the heart. On the top, the pericardium opened; in the middle, the organ; at the bottom, a summary delineation of the aorta." By extension: heart, moral, nature, mind, affections; intention; core; center.