Translating kickboxing to self - defense

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by chopper84, Dec 22, 2005.

1. chopper84

chopper84 New Member

i have my own opinions on the subject but i just wondered how effectively you lot reckon kickboxing can be used as a method of self- defense, particulaly as there are no rules against low kicks, elbows and knees etc. on the street. I know for a fact it can work but it needs a certain amount of modification against a 'real life' opponent as opposed to sparring down the gym IMHO.

2. Skinneh

Skinneh Skinny Theif Ninja Spy

What parts need to be modified for 'real life' ?

3. hux

hux ya, whatever.

well I guess you kinda answered your own question there. It can work fine, I think, but like any other 'sport' MA, competition rules don't apply in t3h d34dly str33t.

This is common sense, I would think.

4. New Guy

New Guy I am NEW.

Modifly what sorry?

If a kickboxer gets attack on the street they just beat the crap of of the attacker, simple as that.

5. Ren-shi-shin

Ren-shi-shin New Member

Kickboxing works fine as a defense, as long as your opponent is in front of you and on their feet. AFter getting grabbed from behind, taken down, etc. Kickboxing is pretty useless.

6. hux

hux ya, whatever.

I think he's going to tell us that since there generally aren't elbows thrown in the ring that if we were attacked on t3h str33t and the guy threw an elbow we'd collapse on the ground in a sobbing heap.

That pretty much cover it?

:D

7. Right. First point I'm going to address is the "Kickboxing is t3h sp0rt" point. Just because we compete with rules etc doesn't mean that's all we can do. I don't watch TV in 12x3min rounds, or do anything else in rounds other than compete. If some guy comes up to me, I'm not going to stop doing something because it isn't in the rules, am I? This silly idea of "sport is useless on t3h str33t" is getting tiresome. If only people did some research! We tend to have 2 kinds of MA - ones which are "sports" (with rules) and ones that aren't (which don't really do any live training). Everything has its shortfalls but I'd rather go with kickboxing. I don't have to adapt anything. I've learnt how to punch and kick, so that's what I'll do. Just because I haven't formally learnt elbows doesn't mean I'm nincapable if the need arises!

Ok... answer the following question. If anyone gets grabbed from behind by someone who is anywhere near capable at fighting, do you think they have a chance? Why is kickboxing any diffferent to anything else in this respect? If someone grabs me from behind, he should be able to beat me. Nothing that I know of deals with live training for behind the back surprise attacks.

8. Ren-shi-shin

Ren-shi-shin New Member

jabcrosshook--i certainly don't mean any offense to kickboxing--I'm a kickboxer myself. I also practice Aikido, capoeira and TKD. And I've been exposed to exactly the situation I mentioned, twice in my life. Having been through it, I know if someone grabbed me from behind, I would use aikido on them, (and we do train surprise attacks from behind. There are some great moves you can do)...and I'd have much more of a chance with that than with kickboxing, which is all I'm saying--kickboxing is great as a stand-up fighting style, but it's limited to stand-up kicking and punching. Is kickboxing any different--sure, of course it is. Someone who does a stand-up AND a grappling art has more of a chance in a street fight. Is aikido good for kicks and punches? no. Is kickboxing good if you're taken down? no. Is there a traditional art that incorporates locks, pins, stand-up kicking and punching, and grappling? No, but more modern styles like MMA or JKD are much more effective for defense and all-round fighting than kickboxing.

9. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

Modify kickboxing for the street? Lose the gloves and keep the cup.

10. johndoch

johndoch upurs

yeah, thats me walk about with a cup all the time :rolleyes:

11. kickboxingidiot

kickboxingidiot Valued Member

This is what i say:
    1. you can either punch/ take a punch or you cant= this is where KB has an advanmtage over most MA (all that hard sparring is worth while)
    2. good KB schools will teach K-1 styleee knees to the face , MT style Elbows to cut the faces open

Now in disadvantae, KB'ers wont be as good at grappling as say a judo player or a ju jitsu guy
    Also if a KB'er is going to kick then keep it low dont try high kicks unless you think your guaranteed to hosiptalise them

We have a guy called Firefoot at our gym , every time he has fouht on the street, he has Floored someone with a head kick but to see him head kick is poetry in motion!!!

12. chopper84

chopper84 New Member

okay first of all , keep your bloody hair on. Why are some of you so defensive and easy to wind up? CHILL OUT!!! and second, to clarify,l imeant that as 90% of fights are gonna end in a grappling situation after one or two blows are exchanged, this situation would effectively nullify any 'advantage' you have over an untrained attacker if you dont incorperate some sort of grappling into your training. if 'punches and kicks' is all you have, in this situation they aint gonna help a great deal.

p.s. please spare me the 'one or two blows is all i need' crap.

13. hux

hux ya, whatever.

one or two blows is all I need.

:D :D

I think that to an extent you are simply stating the obvious - KB doesn't teach grappling...well, yea. What you are failing to realize is that most of us don't train kickboxing for self defense the same way one trains in, say, kung fu or some other TMA. So coming on here and announcing that grappling needs to be added to KB is kind of like going into a motorcyle forum and announcing that motorcycles need a third wheel so they don't tip over.

bottom line for me:
    I train kickboxing so I can get in the ring and beat somebody's ass under controlled conditions.

I haven't been in a fight since the 6th grade.

14. chopper84

chopper84 New Member

fair dues mate it probably was a stupid thread. i confess i'm havin some time off work and i'm really, really :bang: bored.

15. I'm just getting slightly annoyed with the "Kickboxing is a sport and therefore it's useless on the street because you have rounds, gloves and padding" - RUBBISH. I'm not standing here saying kickboxing is t3h ult1m4te - I'm merely saying that just because we wear padding doesn't mean we can't punch/kick properly without.

Rubbish...

1) If our striking is up to par and we knock someone out, it doesn't need to go to the ground. The reason a lot of fights go to the ground is that you have two guys throwing haymakers at each other. They ultimately get caught up with each other, and it goes to the ground.

2) Where did this 90% myth come from. That's a drastic over exaggeration to say the least.

You're speculating again. The only time someone is going to own a guy on the ground is if he has done some grappling art. Now, how is this guy going to get in the position of taking you down? Answer: you have got too close. As a kickboxer you shouldn't do that!!! That's why kickboxing exists from a self defense perspective - SO WE DON'T HAVE TO TAKE THE FIGHT TO THE GROUND. I'm not saying don't cross train! I'm a big advocate of cross training and do so myself. If we get taken down on the ground by some 3rd degree BJJer, we are in deep doo doo. That isn't because we're kickboxers, it's because we're not as good on the ground! Against anyone else and adrenaline is going to make them try and GnP us.

As kickboxingidiot mentioned, the fundamentals of our sport are "take a shot, give a shot". Now, that's going to give us SOME advantage on the ground if we can take a shot, and LOTS when we're standing up. I'm not gonna say "I can kill with 1 blow."

Just to re-iterate the point of this post - I AM NOT GETTING ANNOYED BECAUSE SOMEONE'S THREATENED MY SPORT! I AM GETTING ANNOYED BECAUSE OF ALL THE SPORT IS USELESS RUBBISH THAT I KEEP HEARING.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2005
  16. chopper84

chopper84 New Member

stop crying you big baby your only so defensive cos you know what i'm saying is true. Have you actually ever seen a proper fight?

17. hux

hux ya, whatever.

oh boy, here we go.

:rolleyes:

18. I'm not crying I just find it laughable how someone can spout so much crap, read a large post (by myself) and respond with 2 lines.

Yes, I've seen plenty of fights. Know a couple of guys who have worked the doors aswell. Now for my question: did you read a word of what I wrote?

It definately WAS a stupid thread. You need to get back to work, or find a hobby.

19. kickboxingidiot

kickboxingidiot Valued Member

Chopper 84
    As a matter of fact i have seen a lot of proper fights
    Thought id mention that when im not working, i DO work the doors
    and most fights start standing in a crowded bar, THEN someone ends up on the floor
    thats how this 90% end up on the floor stats come out.

20. Sever

Sever Valued Member

I can't speak for my buddy JCH, but I've seen and been in quite a few fights over the years. Have some of them gone to the ground? Yes; two - one of them I took there myself because the guy was a lot bigger than me, the other one just went there, but that's a hell of a lot less than the 90% statistic you and certain other BJJ nuthuggers like to throw around. My grappling skills helped me in the two that went to the ground, the rest, my standup MA skills were invaluable