Training

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Noib Da Mutt, Aug 16, 2003.

1. Noib Da Mutt

Noib Da Mutt Banned Banned

I do most of my training at home and in nature, such as the woods, using trees, and other things I find around me, and usually my training takes up most of the day. Basically in a rather successful attempt to use what God has provided to make myself stronger. But I was wondering if anyone had any training tips utilizing things in nature like trees or perhaps everyday items I can find around the home.

Also I was looking for advice on doing areals effectively, perhaps training method I could use to jump higher and more gracefully.

2. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

I use an A frame for pullups does that count? I also wade through rivers occasionally and shoot rabbits

3. Kaine

Kaine New Member

yeah I live on a farm so I just goi out into our feild and practice kicks, patterns and must usual physical fitness stuff. I do the river swimming thing, I practice flips and what not, on our sawdust pile ( 5 feet tall), I do lots of crunches and push ups, and a lot of sparring by my seslf, it's kind of boring but I do it just to see how much faster I can throw up my kicks. getting firewood out of the forest is a really good work out ( I live in canada).

4. Noib Da Mutt

when you say you spar by yourself do you mean you imagine an opponent and just throw techniques as if they were really there?

5. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

I think he means shadow boxing, not trying to knock himself out :D

6. Noib Da Mutt

I know WHAT he's doing, I'm curious as to HOW he's doing it. There is a certain level of sustained intensity that must be held for training to be at all effective

7. Kaine

Kaine New Member

what is meant by it is that, ya you kind of imagine someone there but it's mostly to practice my kicks, and for the physical fitness of it. I pretty much just go all out, ( while executing my kicks properly) until I can take no more. I try different types of combanations and see how effectivly they will work while sparring someone (in theory).

8. Chazz

Chazz Keepin it kickin TKD style

Everyone has talked about working out the body, when nature is a great place to work out and calm the mind. Use some of your time to sit and listen to nature. Refresh your body as you rest your mind.

back to the body, Work with you kicks and punches in the water. Flat stones are great to condition the hands and feet, Trees are good to work on kicks against. The woods is a great place to run.

9. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Running/and or jumping up and down stairs .... running/jogging on sand/rough surfaces such as a pebbled beach to build leg muscles and condition soles of feet.
    Kicking in water... lakes/river or oceans.

As far as aerials ... (I too need lots of work in that specific area)... but I do have a trampoline "outside" where I practice my jump kicks on.... after doing several kicks on trampoline I jump off and try to achieve the same results on the ground.

Any form of yard work, works the muscles. Cutting wood, raking, shoveling.... Hey, dig very deep holes and practice jumping in and out of?:D

10. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

... actually I just ran across this training tip from Hector Echavarria.

Go outside to a bush or a tree and then pick out a particular branch or leaf and then practice hitting it. The leaves are never in the same place and the wind will often move them around and make them sway. Practice all your various kicks. With each leg do a spinning jumping side kick, a spinning hook kick, a jumping roundhouse kick, et cetera - spending 10 or 15 minutes on each kick with at 20-to-50 reps. Hitting branches and leaves of varying heights and distances from you will improve your accuracy tremendously. Not only will you learn to hit small targets, but you will learn to adjust to moving targets.

For accuracy training ..... a lot of people try to develop accuracy by using kicking shields with a partner - and this can work if the partner holding the shield is very disciplined. The partner will unfortunately often move the bag to meet the kick.... so you think you're developing accuracy but you're being fooled by a partner who is inadvertently moving the bag to meet the kick.
    So hang something very light, like a wadded-up tape ball, from the ceiling with a piece of rope. Then practice hitting it with all your kicks. The tape will start swinging and you will have to become very precise in order to consistently hit it because the tape will not move to meet your kick.

11. Noib Da Mutt

pickin' up some good ideas although it is reaffirming to here alot of this stuff I already do, but I appreciate everyone's input so far.

I've got to find a CLEAN river or lake to do kicks in cuz' I'm NOT going to do that at a public pool.

KICKCHICK. I tried doing areals on a trampeline and it didn't really help. Is actually doing them on the trampoline, and then on the ground especially helpful?

12. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

LOL... probably not! But when I do practice them on the tramp I do so well.... see I have this problem with tucking up my knees in order to increase the height of my kicks.... so if I do it often enough on the tramp I get a certain feel as to how I need to tuck up my knees. Usually when I do off tramp... I try to mimic the same motion as if I were still on tramp and sometimes I can get that same springiness ... but then I revert to the same old problem ... no hang time.
    But hey when I am on the tramp I am awesome ... makes me feel good!

13. Noib Da Mutt

LOL, I feel you, that would be the motivation to train because you know that it's attainable

14. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

The majority of your training is (or should be) mental the rest is physical... I'm a firm believer in that!!