Training

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Din, Apr 2, 2004.

1. Din

Din 3rd dan

hey guys and girls. i had an operation done on my knee last december as i tore a ligament. i'm still in recovery and will be for at least another 3 months. i'm not allowed to do any kicks or anything that will cause high impact on my knee so i decided to concentrate on improving my hand techniques (ie. punches, elbow, knife hands etc.etc). so i was wondering what excercises or drills you guys would recommend to increase the speed and strength of my techniques.

:woo:

2. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Din, be careful even with just punching. Make sure you don't do anything to torque the knee while its planted on the floor. That won't help the ligaments or cartilege much. Let us know how your rehab goes....

3. johndoch

johndoch upurs

listen to Kwaj

When punching the bag correctly there is still a lot of pressure put on the knees because good punches start from the ground.

4. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

I also agree with Kwajman. Take it easy. I'm recovering from a knee surgery too. Talk to a good therapist and do the exercises s/he tells you to make sure that everything is under control.

5. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

Been through the knee surgery scenario myself. Make sure you give it adequate time to heal because any proper punch takes a certain amount of body rotation which causes stress on your knees. What I did was spent a lot of time with conditioning, leg raises, crunches, push-ups, etc. I practiced my kata with-out legs and had a sensei kind enough to let me attend class and teach me ALOT of wrist releases and non-leg stuff.

Good luck with your recovery! :)

6. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

look at us knee surgery patients how supportive we are :D :D :D

knee surgery victimes unite!!!! :D :D :D

7. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

**GROUP HUG**

8. Din

Din 3rd dan

thanks for the input ....
    i'm pretty carefull about not rotating my body too much when im doing my hand techniques ... and im still doing excersises to recondition the muscles in my leg.
    if all goes well i should be able to start light training in about 2-3 months ...
    fells odd training every week for 10 years and now not training at all for over 4 months ...
    miss the rush ...

9. Guy Mendiola

Guy Mendiola New Member

I'd say don't do any punching but it's up to you but be careful on that knee.

10. Griff-WalesTKD

Griff-WalesTKD New Member

I know exactly what your going through and feeling. Keep on in there...Good luck.

11. basf12

basf12 Valued Member

just do knuckle push up by sitting on the floor with your leg cross and slowly push yourself up or sitting beside up a wall or sand bag and start executing a knife hand or ridge hand on the wall or sand bag