training without a dojo

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Grass hopper, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

I have found myself in the entirely un-unique situation of being a karateka displaced from his/her dojo. rather than give up karate (i dont think i would even know how) i now have to train at home.

my question is, other than kata, what have all my fellow practitioners done to keep their karate sharp without a dojo?

2. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Bag-work is the obvious suggestion.

3. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

i try to improve the way i move, rather than just performing techniques (no sensei to give me corrections or a specific direction, so no point in mindlessly repeating something strictly until someone finds a mistake and nudges me towards the right direction), and i try to actually train/study the kata rather than just performing them (which i increasingly see as an extremely pointless endeavour because it improves nothing about my karate). and i go train other styles :p (i highly recommend taijiquan in particular)

4. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

obviously the lack of training partners makes my ability to use the stuff stay rather stagnant, but that doesn't prevent me improving my technique given prior knowledge of what partner drills are like (which means less work to do to adapt things once i do find people to train with)

5. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

You know the drill man, exercise, bag work, kata and find yourself a dojo asap ;p

6. melbgoju

melbgoju Valued Member

Use videos.

Of yourself that is. Your mind knows what you should look like when you're doing kata, but what it thinks you are doing and what you are actually doing may be two different things.

Video review of your form/structure can be very helpful for home training.

Oh - build a kakete-biki and makiwara and use them too.

7. shootodog

shootodog restless native

combat conditioning. a well conditioned fighter is better than a non-conditioned fighter. I know this all too well. that being said, invest in equipment that can help you conditioning.

- a pair of good running shoes
    - a heavy bag
    - a speed ball
    - a string ball
    - heavy ropes
    - a bulgarian bag (can be made easily diy at home)
    - a truck tire
    - a sledge hammer
    - pull up bar
    - kettle bells (if you're into such things)
    - a yoga mat (for core strength workouts)

work your core like crazy. run like you're being chased by giant hornets.

8. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

i have been going to the gym, focusing mostly on cardio (bycicle machine, my knees havn't been acting their age lately) chest, core, and upper back.

since i just moved and havn't yet found work, my training equipment is somewhat limited. i have a bag but no stand for example. thanks for the suggestions! these are helpful. luckily i have video of me doing kata from about 8 months ago while i was still at my dojo to use as a baseline to compare myself to so i don't get too sloppy with my form.

9. shootodog

you can run. just 45 minutes of running. running properly, from the gut. landing on your forefoot. running is good. running separates the good from the great.

10. pseudo

pseudo Padawan

Place a personal add in the newspaper :p

Karateka looking for training partner.
    Preferably (inset style), (insert belt), and (inset gender)
    Must be willing to clean floors and equipment as well as cook.
    Must be willing to spar and keep complaints to a minimum.
    This offer is first come first serve, limited space available.
    Must provide own gi.

You could try craigslist too :D

11. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Kata, bag work, makiwara, some supplementary training and plenty of kihon waza when given the opportunity.

I also kickbox occasionally which helps with the sparring practice.

I don't go the gym though as it bores me stiff. I do have a barbell, sledge hammer and small tractor tyre and some various hojo undo tools made with cement and empty paint cans. And an ab wheel.

EDIT: Ah, just seen you have a bag but no stand. Have you thought about getting yourself a kick shield and tying it to a post/tree in your back yard/somewhere convenient?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  12. hatsie

hatsie Active Member Supporter

Could you expand on this please shoots dog, for the thickies like me.

Particularly 'from the gut' 'landing on your forefoot' and any other 'running properly' tips.

That video tip is gold I recon, with or without a teacher ! Saves the 'why is he always picking on me and saying I'm stiff midset' :D
    Cheers

13. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Dojo yaburi?

That'll keep you sharp.

:D

14. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

And post videos of it :) :)

15. shootodog

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzjDIAKUZ9Q]forefoot strike[/ame]

running from the gut means, you engage your core.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_aqCiziTaw]orton's running form tutorial[/ame]

16. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Lots of good suggestions!

Don't forget you can make a lot of training equipment yourself. I posted a thread on making chi shi ages ago, there are online suggestions of making a bulgarian bag. A cheap holdall and (depending on the soil near you) dig some sand to fill bags to put inside it, etc etc.

For karate related drills you could look online, or see books like Loren Christensen's Solo Training.

Mitch

17. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

There's also the book "The art of Hojo Undo" by Michael Clarke. It's filled with different exercises with different training tools as well as guidelines on how to make some of your own tools. And they work incredibly well.

18. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Mitch has a very good article on this subject.

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89777

19. shootodog

20. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

per a previous suggestion: run. for me, there's nothing better to get your whole body toughened. and then: pushups, pullups, abs. if you can't train at a gym, i'd be worried that i'd take on some bad habits, potentially. but you can always tune your body to be fit on your own.