Training with the ill intentioned

Discussion in 'Competitors Corner' started by Mangosteen, Aug 21, 2020.

1. master x

master x New Member

This I agree. At the end of the day, as long as the student is respectful and paying on time, then that is all that matters.

That and hopefully not a bully outside of the school.

The whole point of martial arts is to train people to protect themselves, get their aggression out and become better people and better thinkers through solving and comprehending martial arts techniques and achieving mastery in the arts.

The only bad attitude I have seen is in combat sports gyms and that to me is not really martial arts in culture, That and I have seen tons of folks train in MMA who cant fight their way out of a paper bag. Yet they have the craziest and biggest ego on the planet.

2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Long term, if it's run either as a business or for the love of "the art" a gym/dojo culture needs to be created that means people feel safe and want to be a member long term, racists and the like make people feel unsafe, and want to leave, so any decent place will get rid of them one way or the other.

People training in MMA who can't fight, should at least know they can't fight, so there already 1 step upahead of a lot of TMA'ers!

3. master x

master x New Member

Oh you think that would be the case but its not. Tons of these MMA gyms will do light sparring and lots of these delusional folks will think they are some dangerous 8 limb wielding muay thai death god. With light sparring, they assume that they are just some dangerous mma fighter kickboxer.

Also I agree with you, running a martial arts business is a bad business if you want to make money. Bad experience= bad reviews which= bad business.

A martial arts instructor running a gym can be as racist as they want but they will go out of business or barely get by. I feel that even an ardent racist would wish to make enough money to feel comfortable. A racist environment destroys a business.