Training with injuries

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Freeform, Mar 12, 2002.

1. waya

waya Valued Member

1/8th, and 1/2 Lakota. My mother has alot of variations in and out of the Cherokee Nation on her side, and my father is Lakota.

2. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Are there any Native American martial arts. It seems they had such a strong culture, I would be surprised if there wasn't.

3. waya

waya Valued Member

The main fighting was of course close range, mostly wrestling and knives or clubs. I don't know of any real system taught now although I believe there once was.

4. Andy Murray

Maybe they taught Raindance instead of Liondance!

5. waya

waya Valued Member

LOL

I doubt alot of that will ever be recovered. Alot of Native American culture, including the languages being spoken was outlawed for quite some time. But it would be interesting to see.

6. Andy Murray

Getting back on track; Has anybody ever had to have a Cortisone injection? I had to have both elbows done, and you don't wanna go there...........

7. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Not myself, but I know a couple of guys who have, whats it like, does it make your elbow completely numb?

8. Andy Murray

The idea with Cortisone, is to rapidly decrease the inflammation in a joint. I believe it has a sort of local anaesthetic along with it to take away pain. Great you say. Two problems.

One, the Doctor wiggles the needle about inside the joint, trying to find the most painful place, so he is injecting for maximum benefit. This hurts!

Two, the anaesthetic wears off, and you get about six hours of throbbing joint pain like you wouldn't believe!

It does work though!

9. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Oh great... I'm meant to be having Cortisone injections soon... the rheumatologist told me it wouldn't hurt when I asked (mind you, my mother used to tell me that before putting TCP on my cuts when I was a kid)

Now I don't wanna go! :(

Sarah

10. Andy Murray

If, you need them Sarah, then nothing else works like them. I would reccomend a couple of sleeping tablets for the night time, as that was when I was acting like a big girly wuss.

But hey, you are Kyokushin Girl! You feel no pain!

11. Freeform

NO PAIN!!!!!

HARDCORE!!!!!!!!!!

So we're all a big bunch of sado masochists then with our collection of injuries and pain killers!

12. Chazz

Chazz Keepin it kickin TKD style

*LOL* I guess you could say that about us, that is if you agree with the saying "pain can me pleasure" HAHA

-Chazz

13. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

I think all us martial artists have some sado masochism in us... where else would you see people breaking roof tiles and doing seiken press ups for fun :)

14. Freeform

Hey, I'm no Sado Masochist...... now where'd I put that leather strap ;)

15. Chazz

Chazz Keepin it kickin TKD style

*LOL* Well im not one either, but you can have can have one of my extras. HAHA

16. Freeform

So to my other point, have you ever trained under one of those chronically injured Instructors of the old 60's mindset?

'Hit the wall!'

'Yes Sensei!'

17. Side-kick

Side-kick New Member

Does anyone here have arthritus and still do martial arts? HOw do you cope?

My joints all click a lot - even my spine and neck - they sound like machine-guns when twisted. Does this lead to arthritus. I never find any references about clicking joints on the web,

Also does anyone make their own Jow dit jua [?} herbal remedy like this site below - is it a safe recipie?
    http://www.wingchun.org/text/misc/jow.html

18. Freeform

nah, an osteopath told me that this is an old wifes tale. i hope so because my elbows, neck and ankle crack all the time, thers no way i'd make a decent ninja :)

19. khafra

khafra New Member

Side-kick--I'd consider the Dit da Jow pretty safe. I've heard of John Crescione before, and never in a negative context. Plus, it's only a topical application, there'd have to be something pretty awful in it for that to hurt you.

20. wayofthedragon

wayofthedragon The Defender

OOOOkkkkkkkaaaaayyyy!!!!

I'm kinda late to the discussion, and I'm sorry for not taking time to read over every post, but I'd like to add that I do train even when injured, if possible....
    I think that it makes you stronger. I'd train through any injury, unless I just can't move. I can still do what little I can do unless I'm paralysed.
    Truly, I'm not saying that if you're on crutches to try and train, but, do what little you can do, still attend classess, still take mental notes, if you can practice hand techniques from your seat, then do so. Don't just quit because your legs are out. Do what little you can.

Just my oppinion;)