Training with injuries

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Freeform, Mar 12, 2002.

1. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Hands, up. How many of you have continued to train when injured?

I have, and do. But is it a smart thing to do, or am I just a complete nutjob.

Well, I think its a good idea to continue training when injured, as long as you take it into consideration. e.g

Several times people I trained with had sore legs, twisted ankles/knees, so our sensei would alter our training so we might do sitting techniques (on a bus, restuarant etc).

Four months ago I badly twisted my ankle and had to stop training for a few days, once I could move again I altered my training routine and started back again (I'm still seeing a physio for it).

Ok, easy enough to know your own limits but what about those of your students. I've heard the excuss 'I wasn't here the past couple of weeks because I had a sore toe/knee/foot/stomach/brain' delete as necessary, many times.

When do you, as an instructor, know how far to push a student or should you even. When do you say 'Yeah, you've proved your tough now your just being stupid'?

And remember that your students look to you as an example of what your arts all about, has anyone else trained under one of those cronically injured karateka of the 60's schooling (but Sensei told me to punch the brick wall :mad: )

Thanx for reading my ramble, now over to you.

2. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

I know I'm not an instructor - but I can tell you what my instructors have said and done in relation to my injury...

Oh...er...well I trained for about four months with my bad foot before I had to give up...I couldn't stand up evenly anymore :(

Now spent a couple of months not training (in the dojo anyway) as I was banned from both by my Sensei until I recovered. Pushed myself a bit far I suppose. Both Sensei always asked how my foot was and left it to me to decide whether to go on or not. Painkillers are so useful don't you think? :D It kept the pain and swelling down a lot for a long time!

My Sensei however, in the past, have had all sorts of serious injuries and still continued training. Perhaps that and the fact I am the only female made me want to continue, as well as the obvious passion/addiction to MA (adrenaline rush - dunno?). Please don't get me wrong! I'm no staunch feminist - just a team player, we were practising for a team kata for a comp. but I had to pull out in the end, fortunately we did have reserves.

Melanie

3. Freeform

We all get addicted to the 'rush' of training (just ask my flatmates how cranky I get if I can't train). Alot of us are sucked into this 'gotta prove myself' mentality.

And I'd never train when using painkillers, they dull your coordination and I just don't like putting drugs in my body (except caffine and alcohol! :) )

4. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Freeform, you said that you think it is a good idea to train when injured, as long as you take the injury into consideration!

I take it that you mean; Don't miss a training session just cos you have a blister ( sorry Mel ), and not; Don't miss a training session just cos you are getting a life saving bone marrow transplant?

As Waya has said many times, becoming a qualified fitness instructor might help make these kinds of judgement. the best way to know what to do for your students, is to do it all to yourself first.........Hmmm....off to start a thread on Sado Masochism!

5. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

It wasn't a blister! It was a Bursa! Hmm - sounds similar though :)

Melanie

6. Freeform

No, No we must train even if we are in a hospital! (Manical ranting ;) )

Yeah Andy, thats pretty much what I meant.

7. alienladd

alienladd I come in peace

May I join in?
    I belong to the 'World Taiji Boxing Association -
    South Africa' and have just recently joined the forum.
    The discussions out there are most interesting and informative.

With regard to training with injuries I would personally train to the extent that my body or injured part of the body can deal with the pain.

I do however have reservations about painkillers or any other drug that would dull the pain.
    In my view it would be like 'arguing' with your body and telling it that it doesn't know what it is 'talking' about and that you know better.

Pain is a signal to the brain to tell you there is an injury or other malfunction (not all injuries are visible) and it is wise to take cognizance of such a signal and on that basis you can make an 'informed' decision of how to deal with the situation.
    It may of course be necessary to consult a physician (which I am not) as it is not always obvious where the signal comes from.

'Freeform' makes the point of altering the training routine which is useful because the worst thing one can do is to stop training all together.
    So a change of routine or type of exercise is most appropriate.

So to recap all of the above in just a few words:-

Listen to your body and never stop training, but alter the routine and type of excercises as befits the injury.

Thanks for reading this far :))

:Alien:

8. Andy Murray

alienladd, feel free to post in any forum you want mate, and welcome to Martial Arts Planet. had the pleasure of a trip to Joburg in 99. Didn't catch any MA, but if you guys train AND take Malaria tablets all the time, then 'respect!'. Made me sick as a dawg!

freeform, caffeine and alcohol tolerance are actually really important for your MA development!

Self Abuse Rules..KO

9. Chazz

Chazz Keepin it kickin TKD style

Training with pain is a common issue with me. This past year i dislocated my right knee twice. Know any time i have to work out i have to brace it so it wont be hurt again. I also am a big tournament goer. At least 1 a month so when fighting in those you get banged up quite oftem. Eventhough hurt, Ive still kept working out and teaching and all i have to say for all of you that train hurt is that you should be happy in your dedication and your art and your self will benifit from it as long as you do it carefully.

PS an member out there with bad knees that has advice on how to strengthen them.

Take care and heal quickly!
    Chazz

10. waya

waya Valued Member

Chazz,
    This is gonna sound weird but trust me. Take a woman's purse or something of similar size and weight, hang it off your ankle and do slow leg lifts. I would generally recommend doing both straight and bent leg lifts. The last Orthopedic Surgeon I saw about my right knee break had me do that when I decided not to allow them to operate and it has worked really well. Don't do alot of weight or reps at first, just take them slow and it will do alot for your knee.

Rob

11. Freeform

Its easy enough to know how far you can push yourself but when do you say to your students, or even fellow students, oih! enough!

Thanx

12. Andy Murray

I usually find that I am pushing students past their own expectations, yet they are still in no danger of injury.

The most dangerous area in training is free sparring. I have to watch for loss of temper, and malicous competitiveness.

If a student has their leg in a cast and still comes down to the class, that's great. If they want to train as well, that's great. I would tend to gear the class up around just such a disability. That student has to work within the limitations of the injury!

13. Chazz

Thanks i'll try that. I saw one but he only told me to stay in PT for it.

-Chazz

14. waya

waya Valued Member

PT can help but sometimes they hurt you more than you already did lol

15. Chazz

Yeah it did the first time, they didnt work the right part of my leg and knee and when i went back out i ended up getting hurt again

16. waya

waya Valued Member

Have they tried electrolysis yet? You'll love that lol. They wrapped the steel thing around my leg, which was cold and wet, then turned the electricity on it up too high and burnt me..... (Can ya tell I am not a really big fan of PT? lol)

17. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Ouch! Sounds like you're Phyisotherapist is into sado machocism more than healing! If they ever suggest that I'd run a mile. I've had ultrasound PT before, which is quite nice cos you just sit there for a few minutes while they put this metal thing over your knee for two minutes. Gave my b/f a hell of a shock when I told him I was going for an ultrasound though... lol ;)

Osu

Sarah

18. Andy Murray

Rob got his nickname from the noise he made! lol

19. waya

waya Valued Member

LOL I bet that did shock him

Yeah that thereapist should have gone into interrogation I think haha.

I have had the ultrasound therapy on my lower back when I twisted some nerves last year... I liked it alot. They also did a different type of electric therapy that worked well. Along with some physical exercises I still do to strengthen my back and abs.

Actually Andy it means Wolf in Cherokee LOL....

Rob

20. Andy Murray

Any Cherokee blood Waya?