training with broken arm

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by Maryreade1234, Mar 9, 2020.

1. Maryreade1234

Maryreade1234 Member

6 weeks ago I had forarm surgery from broken forearm (blocking kicks in a fight.)

So iv been away for 6 weeks and my arm is partially healed. It doesn’t hurt when i punch however doctor has told me that I shouldn’t punch or block with it still for another 6 weeks.

Can I train around this and just get my trainer to get me to go light with the jab? I have a metal plate reinforcing the bone. Or alternatively should I switch to hardcore grappling training (bjj) as that doesn’t involve force hitting my arms.

2. Maryreade1234

Maryreade1234 Member

pictures

Attached Files:

3. Maryreade1234

Maryreade1234 Member

orogibal injury

Attached Files:

4. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Never train hard with a bad injury. If you'll only be 6 weeks behind by resting properly, that's nothing. Rest, heal, then train. Don't even think about grappling - you can do far worse to an injury by grappling with it than by hitting.

5. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Yeah no grappling. Just accept that you're out for another 6 weeks. Good time to start cardio/gym work. Avoid lifting heavy thing and explosive movements that involve your arms you're pretty much limited to running/sprinting and sit-ups.

axelb likes this.
  6. Maryreade1234

Maryreade1234 Member

what about just going light and only doing my one on ones with personal boxing trainer?

7. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Why risk it?

Anth, Dead_pool and icefield like this.
  8. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

If your Dr. approves, practice footwork. Lots of footwork drills.

But do what your Dr says. You don't want a lifetime of limitations because you couldn't follow Dr's orders for 6 weeks.

Anth and Dead_pool like this.
  9. Pretty In Pink

I mean, maybe. But I wouldn't personally risk it. The difference between us though is that it's not as exciting for me so if I broke a bone I'd be okay out for weeks at a time.

Dead_pool likes this.
  10. Maryreade1234

Maryreade1234 Member

Its more my mental health deteriorates when I cant train.

If it doesn’t hurt does that mean its ok? We did padword but just light on his hands as apposed to blasting a pad. More just going for speed etc.

11. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Closing the gap

Until you hit 12 weeks post surgery, your bone isn't fully healed, (especially as it's needed to be plated) if your surgeon says 12 weeks, take the medical advice and leave it for the full 12 weeks, otherwise your risking permanent disability.

And the NHS will be stretched enough in the next 3 months, without a self induced injury caused by ignoring medical advice adding to it.

12. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I completely get that, but now all training has to be physical.

If for example you have an interest in self defence you could study the legal side, post conflict articulation and so on.

There is the history of the art, or maybe even start a diary or blog.

No. It may not hurt now, but train smart and you'll be able to train into old age.

axelb likes this.
  13. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Let me think....listen to a trained medical professional you know or nameless, faceless martial artists, you don't know....hmmm......hard call..

I cannot stress this enough...LISTEN TO THE DOCTOR

Dead_pool likes this.
  14. Pretty In Pink

T6
    That's the most dangerous phase of the healing process. The athlete feels better and wants to go back to training however the healing hasn't finished. Honestly I wouldn't risk it. Doing pad work with just hands and no pads sounds like a good alternative but honestly don't push it. For mental health one of my coaches runs a meditation session once a week. He's really into it and it seems to work. Look into that perhaps?

Smaug97, Monkey_Magic and Dead_pool like this.
  15. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Three words for you. Paige. Van. Zant.
    Read up on the issues she's had with an arm injury.
    Personally I'd be working things like overall conditioning, roadwork, leg press machine, gentle swimming, skipping maybe, light shadow boxing, watching youtube for classic fights and fighters, kicks and kness, study some instructionals, kata/patterns, meditation, solo floor flow movements, etc etc.
    Certainly nothing like padwork, impact or grappling of any sort. Even when you are more fully healed I'd be wary of doing those things with plates and screws in an arm.

Monkey_Magic likes this.
  16. IronMaiden1991

IronMaiden1991 Active Member

you should be more concerned with recovery and other conditioning. When I busted my arm in judo, once I had approval to train in the gym, I grabbed a safety squat bar that my casted arm could reach the handles for and went to town going for that sweet Chun-li power. Accept your arm is going to take time, but use this time now to get stronger in your core and legs. Work on balance drills, footwork, head movement etc. Worry about punching with the broken arm when its not broken anymore.

17. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I get that. I really do. But your mental health will be worse if you re-injure that arm and are out longer. How is your mental health going to suffer if you develop long term or even permanent issues if you don't take care of it properly now?

My long time instructor would tell me to adopt the following attitude when dealing with injury. "Don't focus on what you can't do, focus on what you CAN do."

Like others said, footwork drills, leg strength cardio. If allowed by a Dr, kicking drills on bags maybe? Develop awesome leg strength and ability right now! Build awesome cardio!

18. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Why would you?

Do other stuff like cardio, and do your physiotherapy exercises...squeezing stuff with your hand n whatnot.

Do zero impact (on your hand/arm) stuff.

Sit and research your dietary requirements.

Your bones still has micro fractures in them.
    6 weeks your bone is visually sealed up, another 6 weeks for the micro fracture to heal up.

So thats at least 12 weeks.

19. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Six weeks is nothing in the grand scheme of things, especially compared to years of pain further down the line. As others have said, use the time to work on your weaknesses. Balance drills, mobility, cardio.

If you really need to go to a class, don't train. Watch how others go about their training or how they fight. Use it as research and figure out tactics for when you get to fight them.

I think most people on MAP have been in your boat at some point. We've all struggled to listen to the advice and some of us will still be in pain from ignoring what the doctor said many years ago.

20. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Don't you also have a recurrent rib injury? I'd take it easy, especially since you were talking about crosstraining in two different boxing arts. I forgot if you are pro or training to get there but I'd recommend being extremely careful. What's a few months of recovery compared to a lifetime injury?

Pretty In Pink likes this.