Training with a towel

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Yodo, Jun 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hewho

hewho Valued Member

Not gonna mention the towel, as long as you know where it is.

The bag work though. Just from my (limited) experience:
    You could work on telegraphing your moves less.
    Maybe add in something to use as a setup, a good jab goes a long way.
    If you have to do jumping kicks (please use less!) Then add them into combos. And work on your balance.

IMHO if you go and do some legitimate training, with a legitimate teacher, you can improve!
    Best of luck!

2. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Hannibal isn't that bad!

3. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

This thread makes me so happy :)

4. FunnyBadger

FunnyBadger I love food :)

Wow, that was epic. Not quite sure what it was and not sure why it was happening but I definately enjoyed watching it.

To the op, I think some more time with a good instructor (or counsellor) might be usefull.

5. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Yes. They might as well "throw in the towel" :D

6. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

This is how we train with a towel.

One of my guys part way through his black belt test earlier this year.

WP_20140601_007.jpg

7. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Terrible form, look at the position of his wrist. Gonna' break it if he messes up.

8. FunnyBadger

I like what you did there :) one of the first times I've thought that viewing this thread.

9. FunnyBadger

10. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

11. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

*Watches towel swinging video*

Does Finland have a mental health program?

12. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Has the OP been smoking some of the plants growing in his house?

13. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

This thread should have more views.

14. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

thanks for the bagwork video; if it was meant as comedy it would be pure genius, that's all I can say!
    also dude, watched your tai chi improvisation video. thanks again :D

15. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Sometimes at my school you see -mostly newer - students doing all sorts of fancy spinning/ jumping stuff on the bags. I will agree with what my instructor said watching this once. People need to focus on working on BASIC foundational kicks FIRST, before doing the fancy showoffy stuff.

If you can't throw a basic roundhouse or snap kick with proper distance, angles, right part of your foot, and power against a bag, you have no business throwing jumping spinning stuff.

My instructor would actually tell one of her students to stop if she saw them doing this nonsense. Exception being one student who practiced spinning stuff because he HAS the foundation in basic kicks. He is a black sash.

Doing the fancy stuff over the foundational stuff just tells me you (general you- not singling anyone out) are trying to be a showoff and in it for ego over really learning.

Likewise when I have seen a few students come up with creative exercises with bags and such. Without exception, those people would IMO benefit from more foundational curriculum practice over developing their own weird exercises.

One advanced TCC student tried to show me some sort of drills she did with the heavy bags. I was polite, but I got nothing out of it. Yes, it is possible I missed something, but again, I thought (no disrespect intended) that that student would benefit more from basic practice over spending so much time on that.

There are lots of ways to strengthen the wrists that take less time than playing with a towel (if it even accomplishes that- which I doubt)- leaving more time for basic practice

My advice to OP. If you have an instructor, start doing your basic curriculum work. Forms, sparring, drills, stance work. Do some basic conditioning work for strengthening your wrists. Hold a plank with your knuckles in the fist position for example. If you don't have an instructor (which I suspect) FIND ONE!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  16. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Did you sneak out of your ward into the staff gym to film that?

That was bloody awful

17. yorukage

yorukage Valued Member

In the bag work video it seems like you are trying to be bad on purpose, if so, then you've done a wonderful job wasting people's time on this thread, mine included. Same with the towel videos. It look like a person who has zero foundation trying to do fancy martial arts stuff. Like maybe you took a year and a half martial arts training as a kid and that was it. Then you've let delusions of grandeur make you think you are skilled enough to create your own style even though you've never fought anyone and haven't trained in martial arts as an adult (hint, most kids martial arts classes don't teach the same stuff as adult classes). If the videos in this thread are meant to be serious, meaning you really think you are creating a new way to do martial arts, you need to stop immediately and go join a school and learn from a good instructor. That is the only way you will get better. He'll stop you making a lot of the mistakes you are currently making, and you may actually improve and get decent at martial arts. If you continue with this fantasy, well, that's all it is every gong to be. Go into an MMA gym and ask to spar with anyone, even their newest, lowliest student, and see how your stuff works on them.

18. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Not only an expert in Tow El Fu, but he's a music genius too!

[ame="https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gAxjXzW5LOQ"]http://https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gAxjXzW5LOQ[/ame]

19. yorukage

yorukage Valued Member

this guy needs to be banned from the internet! hahaha

20. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.