Training with a towel

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Yodo, Jun 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yodo

Yodo Banned Banned

Hi,

I have been making this new training method for some time now.

The principles are, that there isnt anything metal or wood, that is hard.

The towel is water element and always moving.

The point is to wet through the towel and then try to spin it and not drop it.

This will give you on half hour excercise a good stamina also and your blood flow increases.

When all the moves are smooth, various muscles will be trained.

There isnt any moves (yet) you should train. Just move with the towels energy and imagine it is like a spiral of energy, which you first put to move and now you have to handle the energy in the right direction.

Very good for wrists and Aiki-Do training.

Change your stance once in a while.

Maybe the best point in this is, that your reflexes are trained in a situation you dont know what next happens.

When you train to see how the energy of the towel reacts, you learn to make more complicated moves.

Here is some videos of my trainings:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2r4x7IIJXHk"]Toweltraining - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2014
  2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

You look intoxicated in those videos.

3. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

IMO, it's better to train with purpose than to train without purpose.

4. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

I guess so man. Not really my thing but to be honest this doesn't look half different from other MA related stuff I see out there. :dunno:

Anyways though, this is the most gangster way to dry yourself off after a dip in the pool . . . eva'.

[ame]//www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4pYl5MIkVQ&list=PLhpi5RxeipMjXost5MuBraC9K_wxMcg6_&index=6[/ame]

5. yorukage

yorukage Valued Member

Watched a couple of videos. When you said you'd been working on it a while, I expected the footage to show more competence with this training mission you "created." I didn't see anything different than what I did as a kid with a towel in mom's living room, pretending I was the most awesome martial artist with what ever weapon I imagined it to be. I'm not meaning to sound harsh, but I just don't see anything really beneficial for martial arts training in the videos. Maybe if you developed this more and had better control with it so that you aren't just whipping it around willy nilly, then you might have something. Bet just slinging it around, I think many of us did this very thing as kids walking home from the pool or beach or having whipping battles with wet towels and flinging them around like giant nunchucks. The Kusari Fundo/Manrik Gusari is a chained weapon that moves in the same way, meaning it is fluid and changeable because of the long chain. If I was to just let the weights on a Kusari Fundo to hit me the way the towel is audibly slapping you, it would be painful and is something one must learn to control. The Shoge, three section staff, chain whip, and rope dart are all similar. They are going to whack you if you don't know how to control them.

6. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Hi Yodo

Your video is on the grey/dark, not too bright to see details. We had a drill with a ship's big mooring rope. That rope came in handy for other uses

Have someone try snapping/tagging you with it so you can parry/evade

7. Yodo

Yodo Banned Banned

Sorry I dont have the time to make big explanation, I will more likely to do a video with voice to explain this if people are interested more deeply about this.

I started with karate when I was kid.

But now, when I am 28 years old, I have started to realize I am not familiar anything do with hurting people.

It is hard to understand nowadays people, how secret anything martial arts related was before.

When TV, media, book factories came: this also exploded into world.

Those teachers like Morihei Ueshiba, were that generation who had to face this new progress: that nothing is secret and nothing is holy.

Many of them got succed into this progress and came a part of it.

Showbusiness took over the martial arts. Which were originally: invented in preserving ones harmony in a unharmony situation. But were now transformed into hwo much unharmony you can cause. For example, how you can hurt someone: it does not matter if you hurt someone if it is attacker, you still hurt someone.

If we just think, that the attacker is in the state of unharmony and our only goal is to adjust that person again in to the harmony: there will be no violence if we master the harmony.

[:]

But as for the moves, some simple things have come up as I have continued to practice with the towel.

Maybe this could be the one move, that you unluck this from your wrist:

[​IMG]

Like this:

[​IMG]

8. Yodo

Yodo Banned Banned

If you have bad nightvision, eating blueberry daily about 20 grams might help that develope again.

9. yorukage

yorukage Valued Member

A towel doesn't grip the same way a person does, so the method to escape a towel wrapped around your wrist is very different from methods to escape someone crabbing your wrist. I just don't see this translating into usable martial arts techniques. You want to rebuild ancient martial arts? You are far from the first person to try this, and I don't know of any that truly have succeeded. You can either learn from a master teacher in a martial art that has a long history such as a koryu, or you can go the route of learning various martial arts putting them together, and calling yourself a master. But I'm afraid that the towel training just isn't going to get you what you want.

10. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

When you cut off one of its heads another eight rise to take its place.

Also, bro, you totally missed an opportunity to attach some glowsticks to this thing and really kick it up a notch.

11. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

To use equipment to enhance your training is always a good idea. I just don't quite understand your purpose here. IMO, to use your towel to wrap around your opponent's neck, put him to sleep, so he can't harm you any more is very "harmony".

12. ned

ned Valued Member

Sheesh ! Somewhere on MAP there must be a revolving door for the cranks,trolls and nutjobs
    -one in,one out . :p

13. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Henri - Who are you doing your tai chi with?

If anyone is watching those videos...Seksiä märän pyyhkeen kanssa means "sex with a wet towel". :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  14. Ero-Sennin

What's the chance we can get a video of you half naked in speedo shorts with the wig, twirling a towel around? :heart:

15. Bozza Bostik

Stop it you flirt!

Give me 10 mins...

16. Ero-Sennin

Don't forget to lather the towel in Crisco, and then heat the towel. :love:

17. Bozza Bostik

We can't get Crisco here...will lard do?

18. Ero-Sennin

Whatever you got. Vegetable oil or butter works too!

19. Yodo

Yodo Banned Banned

And where is that, where I want to get by your opinion?

20. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Any sort of martial competency against a non-fabric based opponent? On the other hand you might one day be able to defend yourself against bed sheets if you work hard at this regimen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.