Training under Asian supervision vs. Western supervision

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by gerard, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

It comes down to this Onyomi: I don't know you, and since I don't know you, you get less credibility than Liao.

2. LiaoRouxin

LiaoRouxin Valued Member

Onyomi, you're right: Qi you ci li means absurd, or not having sense or something along those lines I was making a joke with it, using it as an adjective because that's something I joke about with a Japanese friend of mine who always uses "Hen Hao" as an exclamation rather than as an adjective "wo hen hao". As a joke she and I use exclamations as adjectives when it can sometimes fit, and since a translation of Qi you ci li is absurd I transfered it to an adjectival and make it "Wo bu".

In Sichuan, where my mother is from and where I have spent considerable time, Guai dan is used as an adjective for weird.

As for my ability in Chinese, it's sufficient. Obviously spending nine years in America has reduced my ability from what it could be, I always liked reading Chinese and I've read Sanguoyanyi, Hong loumeng, Dao dejing, and others in Chinese, as well as contemporary novels. And, for the last two and a quarter years or so I've been living back in Asia, first in Hong Kong then in Singapore where one of the official languages is Mandarin. I've also been to China many times, Hebei, Sichuan, Guangdong, and Fuzhou mostly.

3. Taiji Butterfly

Taiji Butterfly Banned Banned

What was Mandarin for "blah blah blah" again? :D

4. daftyman

daftyman A 4oz can of whoop-ass!

How much knowledge of Mandarin is actually required?

Song/sung/soong, etc.
    Ok, we know the mandarin word for it. But we need to understand what it means. Thus it needs to be explained in our own language. Once that's done, we'll happily use sung in our practice and conversations.

The same goes for other terms. Peng, qi, etc.

We do not need to be able to ask for a cup of tea or directions to the train station.

There is maybe a vocabulary of a couple of dozen words that may need to be learned to help in our practice, but that's it.

In my studies of music in the past I had terms like crescendo, fortissimo, mezzo piano, etc. Italian terms, but I cannot speak italian.

So while there may not be a one word translation for the chinese terms that are in use in taiji, we can get the long winded translation and then get on with using the chinese one.

This was quoted a few pages ago:
    Those who speak, don't know
    Those who know, don't speak.

I feel that there is a lot of speaking coming from people who claim to know.

Clearly the discussion has gone a bit black or white, when the actual answer is grey.

5. Battle Man

Battle Man New Member

How's that fence you're riding Vamp?

6. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

This has been an interesting debate thus far - points for and against have been put across quite eloquently I think - please lets not start on the one line retorts that don't make for either side of the debate.

Everyone is entitled to their fully explained and backed up opinions. :)

7. Battle Man

Battle Man New Member

I thought you were taking no prisoners :)

8. onyomi

onyomi 差不多先生

On the Fence?

I agree completely with Vampyre Rat. Do we have to either fall into one of two completely opposed factions for our opinions to be valid? The bottom line is: Chinese language ability is helpful but not necessary to practicing good CMA...and that's my position. I'm not going to post on this thread anymore because it's really just that simple.

9. Juego Todo

Juego Todo Stay thirsty, my friends.

Call it what you will, but I like my Cantonese Chow Mein no matter how you're supposed to pronounce it. I say "yummy"...or is it "yu mei"...or is it "yao ming"? Is that so wrong? :D

10. Battle Man

Battle Man New Member

LOL Awesome post :D :D :D :D :D :D

11. daftyman

Fully upholstered, with built in bar! :D

But seriously, its where the answer lies. The balance point between the two sides. That yin and yang stuff again.

12. Shadowdh

Shadowdh Seeker of Knowledge

VR is Taiji...!!! :D

and why no invite for a cold one...??? :)

13. daftyman

*psshht* (sound of bottle being opened)

Come on up the view's great! :D

14. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Let's have a whippy and get VR a 'lazyboy' for his fence so he can stay comfy up there :D

15. daftyman

16. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

I would just like to add a few points from my experience. I don’t speak Chinese, but I am fluent in several other languages, which are quite distinct from one another. It is my opinion that words in a language are not always just meanings which can be carried across from language to language, though in some cases this can be done, I think language is an extension of one’s cultures and traditions, and being such it is not always possible to explain to a foreigner the meaning of certain words and phrases, as they lack the life long experience of certain cultures and traditions needed to comprehend certain meanings. I think this may be particularly hard to understand for native English speakers as the English language is mostly devoid of such connotations which is probably why it makes such a good communication tool for international use, alternatively, it could be possible that the spread of English as an international language is what made it devoid of the aforementioned connotations.

I studied Tai Chi quite intensely with a Chinese, mandarin speaking teacher on a daily basis for several hours a day for about two months. The man’s English on a scale of 1-10 was a 4, though I hardly had any problems communicating with him in person, but over the telephone it was a completely different story. I have heard before that 90% of communication is non-verbal, and I think someone with ‘listening’ skill can perceive that 90% better than someone without, due to their sensitivity in the changes of other peoples intention, posture, body language, etc. Thus, in my opinion there are too many factors involved in communication with a ‘foreigner’ to be able to put it in to, as someone already said ‘black and white’. Each situation has the potential for its own unique circumstances comprising of various factors such as the language being spoken, the ability of either party to intellectually understand the language spoken, the ability to perceive the subtle side of communication, the traditional/cultural attributes of the language spoken, and many more.

17. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Thanks for sharing that ITS, I think it sums it up very well..
    Now, allow me to lower the tone..

As a 'foreigner' and second language speaker myself, I think a useful way to put it is that through understanding/learning of an alien culture/language (like Scots) what will be more accesible is the 'mentality' of x country - the way they think & what makes them tick etc.(like why they would eat something as gross as a hagis). Like has been already said this may/or may not facilitate better/higher learning in their arts & crafts(like making hagis or doing the highland fling) - too many variables to consider.(like how would you possibly keep something like that down if you ever ate it, especially if you saw what they keep under those kilts whilst doing the highland fling). :cry:
    :D :D :D

DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT RACIST
    I get on great with Scots, As well as being geniuses, they've also got a great sense of humour
    :Angel:

18. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

and great whisky!!!

19. daftyman

when ever I lose my sense of humour I just look under my kilt! :eek:

20. Shadowdh

Shadowdh Seeker of Knowledge

ITS it also applies to those who may speak the same language... I had a hell of a time understanding half the english population when I first arrived here... and I come from NZ... it was easier understanding Russian and Chinese...lol...

LMAO VR... we must be related mate...