Training survey

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by baldrick, Nov 3, 2011.

1. baldrick

baldrick Valued Member

Hi all,

Just out of idle curiosity, how many of you on here who post actually train in the Bujinkan or Genbukan, Jinenkan on a weekly basis, travel to japan to train at least once a year and hold a position of Shidoshi-ho, Shidoshi or higher?

As I say, just idle curiosity, but would be nice to get an idea, so please indulge me.

Dave.

P.S. Dunc, Simon & Norm, you can exempt yourselves from this, as I know you are all sound.

2. stephenk

stephenk Valued Member

Hi there. (I fit all the criteria except for the 'sound' one.)

3. cx4

cx4 Valued Member

Had to cut back on trips to every 1 1/2- 2 years.

4. mattt

mattt Valued Member

I have never trained in Ninjutsu but do BJJ 4 times a week. I find this subforum more exciting to post in because those BJJ folk are so damn polite.

5. Sylvain

Sylvain Valued Member

Well, I don't train in Japan, didn't have the occasion to go there yet, and though I don't hold the position of shidoshi-ho, I have replaced the teacher a couple of times when he wasn't able to come.

6. Chris Parker

Chris Parker Valued Member

Firstly, it might be important to recognise that the titles/ranks of Shidoshi and Shidoshi-ho are Bujinkan specific only, so you won't find any Genbukan or Jinenkan members with those terms. Additionally, the relative ranking between them (as a teaching rank) is a little different as well, with Sandan being a teaching rank in the other two Kans (although higher Kyu grades can run dojo's with permission and a higher Dan grade looking after them, in that way similar to the Shidoshi-ho concept).

For myself, Godan is as high as we go, we're Australian based, therefore trips to Japan would be to train in other organisations rather than ours, so not relevant to progress in our organisation itself. I am in contact with my Chief Instructor very regularly, and attend training under him a few times a year. There was also a time when he was living in Melbourne, so I got a lot more personal time for conversation and the like then. I am a Sandan, if that helps.

7. Nick Mandilas

Nick Mandilas Resistance is an option..

I am a member of a Bujinkan school...train 2-3 times a week for the last 7 years. I hold the rank of Nidan... sometimes I teach a basics class when the instructor is not available.

8. pearsquasher

pearsquasher Valued Member

Bujinkan shidoshi since 2006, teaching since 2008. Train 3 x 2 hr / week and attend monthly seminars when I can. Yearly Japan trips since 2003. Don't post much due to web bujinka n being too far removed from bujinkan in practice :)..lurking since 2002.

9. baldrick

baldrick Valued Member

Thanks for all your comments guys, please keep them coming :)

I suppose I'd better post some info on myself for balance, so he we go:

Been training in the Bujinkan for 25 years on and off, all that time with Peter King. I still train with him every Monday, Tuesdays with one of his other senior students and teach my own class on a Thursday evening, plus a class at work one lunchtime a week, mainly for a bit of fun.

Passed my Godan test in 2005 at DKMS, and as of last year I now have to wear that funny coloured Hi-Vis badge :) (still don't feel that I'm worthy of it though), so can't hide at the back anymore!

Try to get to Japan at least 1-2 times a year.

As per Pearsquasher, I don't tend to post much and prefer to lurk and watch :)

10. Count Duckula

Count Duckula Valued Member

The title shidoshi does not exist in the Genbukan.
    There are only a handful of Shihan, and a couple doze instructors who have a master level (renshi or above). Those people normally attend the various taikai for their training and gradings (since he grades their exams.)

In short, anyone who is anyone is monitored pretty carefully :)

11. Please reality

Please reality Back to basics

Is the above how you define sound? Be cool if sleep was thought of in the same way. In that case most people would be sound sleepers. This thread would be interesting if it could actually be a graph of some sort.:cool:

12. Terrior

Terrior Valued Member

For what its worth baldrick I'll add my own "stats" to the thread, but I also don't contribute that much here.
    I've been training for about 12 years at an average of about 3-4 times a week I think. Try to get to Japan about every 2 years and I am currently teaching a class.

13. Decision Tree

Decision Tree Valued Member

I have been in the Bujinkan for around 8 years, training 1-2 times per week. I've been to Japan only once and do not teach a class, although this is something i'd like to do in the future. I'm currently Sandan.

I haven't been posting for a while but it's good to log in every now and then to see what's happeneing.

14. Please reality

Please reality Back to basics

15. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Deleted

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  16. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

Ok since we are all in a sharing mood.

I've been training in the Bujinkan for more than 18 years. It's been quite a while since I've been to Japan and as you can see by my postings I obviously don't contribute much value here. ;)

17. bujingodai

bujingodai Retired Supporter

I have been training for 18 years, and I have been to Japan once.Hoping to return in 2012.

18. Revobuzz

Revobuzz Valued Member

I used to train buj but not anymore. Never been to japan.