training schedule?

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Hobbitlauncher, May 29, 2005.

1. Hobbitlauncher

Hobbitlauncher Chronic Complaint Dept.

hey all, nobody's responded to my studios near La Crosse Wisconsin thread in the schools area and it looks like I will be in MN fo ra while before i Start at La Crosse, and the twin cities has the Minnesota Kali Group which I have heard is a good studio. Now anyway to my question, do you think taking a few months of training there (not sure how often per week, its a 50 mile drive from my home) and then (unless i find a MA studio near lax) at most driving to take one class a week (or every 2 weeks, possibly, now we're talking a 2.5/3 hour drive) and then solo practicing in the gym. Is this feasible, can you practice FMA solo, are there any schools nearby, should I hit teh studio more often? a whole slew of questions and probably poorly worded, I guess what im getting at is how often should you train to be proficient, can you keep your skills sharp practicing alone, and any other miscellaneous recommendations you guys can give me? it'd be much appreciated.

/ramble

2. Tank Gurl

Tank Gurl A Thorny Rose

I train three times a week, but find I want more. I guess that doesn't help your answer.

3. serakmurid

serakmurid Valued Member

How Much Training?

At least 3 times a week. I train 7 days a week. I alternate heavy/light, and have a core of basics I practice daily. I focus on different areas on different days to keep fom getting bored. I find daily training extremely beneficial, my speed has gone thru the roof!
    I find it is helpful to "fall in love with" your art much like you fall in love with a girl(or guy), you want to spend a lot of quality time with your significant other right? So your art becomes a "significant other".

4. Jesh

Jesh Dutch Side Of The Force

Well you can like practice stick drills on your own, but it always helps if you have a partner at hand. Maybe a friend who shares the same interests. I have a couple of mates with whom I train, so that really helps :D

5. chenstyle44

chenstyle44 Valued Member

tapes

Hi,
    I find that finding some vids/dvds and practicing some of the stuff on my own does wonders for hand speed and awareness of variations when training with others.
    Some of note are Punong Guro Edgar Sulite's (strongly recommended) and Kelly Worden's.
    Gord :D