Training question...

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Terri63, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Terri63

Terri63 Valued Member

I am a green belt in isshin ryu karate...was training last night..have eben having a terribel time with getting dizzy whenever Im doing spin kicks, backfists...or whenever I have to spin around in a kata or whatever...could anyone pls tell me why it might be happening..and what I cold do to stop it? Thanks in advance... Last night beofre i went to karate i had to eat: 2 slices of whole wheat toast w/ butter 1 banana and drank what i thought was enough water...now im not so sure if that was part of the problem...

2. shootodog

shootodog restless native

when you spin where do you look?

3. Terri63

Terri63 Valued Member

training question

i look straight a head...then turn my head and waist..then kick...

4. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Do you get motion or travel sickness?
    It could be you are just sensitive to motion perhaps?
    Most people can manage at least one or two spinning motions before getting a bit dizzy so this is seems a little odd to me.

5. shootodog

shootodog restless native

go to an e.n.t. and have him check your ear and your sinuses.

6. Instructor_Jon

Instructor_Jon Effectiveness First

Also for spinning kicks your head is aimed at the target initially and then rapidly turns to reacquire the target during the spin the then the body spins around to catch up. You should definitly be looking at the target over your shoulder before your kick contacts.

Otherwise, yeah, seek medical help. Don't do more than a couple of spin kicks at a time.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  7. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

That's not a 100% rule IMHO. I throw spin back kicks without looking sometimes.
    Maybe that's why I never land them? :)

8. Instructor_Jon

Instructor_Jon Effectiveness First

I've put a couple out there blind myself, but strictly speaking it's not ideal. I've also cheated and used the mirrors in the training hall ;).

9. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I was thinking more about this sort of thing.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkeL605fOiQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkeL605fOiQ[/ame]