Training opposite stance?

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Southpaw535, Feb 2, 2011.

1. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Probably less so, given the number of MMAers coming from wrestling backgrounds, and wrestling's tendency to lead with the dominant hand.

2. thauma

thauma Valued Member

I have no axe to grind here, and am open to all the useful suggestions, arguments and counter arguments. This is proving quite an interesting thread.

The one thing I will add is that when we train (jitsu) we train both left and right.

When I used to compete in Judo I was only Right handed. No problem as most other fighters were too. However after a serious shoulder injury, in order to get back to training early and protect my right shoulder I started to fight left sided, and it didn't take too long to become quite devastatingly effective. As I also used a right stance and right handed grip - it confused everyone......... which also messes with their heads and bypasses all their standard, well honed practise drills.

I'm not a boxer, and can't punch for toffee, so I'm not qualified to comment on correct technique, but it seems sensible to practise with both sides of the body. Maybe you won't be the best you can be on both sides, but it's not an unworthy goal.

BTW before anyone comments :woo: I know that you should recover fully prior to returning to training, and I am not encouraging anyone to do otherwise.

Keep the discussion moving :)

3. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I trained judo right handed when I did it and although I struggled and recently switched left hand doing it at bjj to much greater success I was able to at least do the techniques right handed in practice. I'm leaning more towards training southpaw as my base but I'm definatley not going to neglect orthodox looking through the replies.

I tore the ligament in my shoulder and was back the next week to much pain and discomfort. We're all hypocrites when it comes to being put out of training :)

4. The Wiseman

The Wiseman Valued Member

It comes down to the amount of techniques you are working on. A right jab, left cross combo is one, and a left jab, right cross is another.

By saying "If you master one side only you will be better than if you trained on both" you are basicly saying "Less technique to master is better"

So the ultimate way to train in this mindset is to practice one technique only.

The other people are saying "Train both, you'll be more well rounded" and by saying that they say "more technique is better"

So in this method it is best to just keep learning new stuff and practice as many techniques as you possibly can.

Neither of these methods are good in my oppinion.

5. The Wiseman

The Wiseman Valued Member

Personally I train both left and right. In the small amount of western boxing that I do I train both because it is better for the body and because there are certain strategical advantages you can have when able to switch stances against whatever fighter comes your way. IN MY OPPINIONNNNNN>

6. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Just remember that when you start you're going to have to fit in around them. Longer you're there the more allowance for your disability:evil will be made.

7. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

No I agree dude and as I've said I plan on doing both sides the question was more about what I do in the gym where I have trainers watching. It's not a case of me wanting the ewasy way out by learning less technique just I figured it's better to do one side at the gym so i cna learn as much as I can from them rather than try and get them to teach me both sides there where they have to go over the same thing just for me and I learn half as much in a day.

Yep I'm prepared for that. That said I semi wimped out of the ABA hardcore gym and found a more laid back option.

8. thauma

thauma Valued Member

Sorry, but I can't agree with the logic here.

It is one technique regardless of left/right or right/left.

So it is no more to learn - it is simply a jab-cross-combo, at least that's my take on it.

9. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

No, a jab cross on one side is completely separate to learn than on the other side. Two different techniques.

10. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

why?

11. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

Because learning it on one side doesn't affect how well you can throw it on the other side. Both need to be learned separately, hence different techniques.

I know/have known so many fighters who train both sides equally and constantly switch stance and get hit when doing so. They don't develop any real defensive skills with either stance, or any finely honed combos. They would be far better off sticking to one side until they've developed their skills.

I can think of about two who have trained both sides equally from the get go and made it work. They were exceptionally talented individuals, for the rest of us that just doesn't work.

12. cowzerp

cowzerp Valued Member

That's just not true.

13. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Might be when he starts. You're not going to get any favours at first

14. SenseiMattKlein

SenseiMattKlein Engage, Maverick

Although it is a big "inconvenience" to accommodate us lefties, does it not seem logical that they should be welcome in any training place as they provide a sparring partner that you will be likely to face in the future?

Seriously, find another gym if they force you to change for the sake of everyone else. A good instructor will find a way to bring out your "natural best", not the best for everyone else.

Hey, it's a right-handers world, but I've been giving righties fits all my life, hehehehe. When the nun took my pencil out of my left hand and put it in the right, and said "this is the correct and only way", she ensured I would always be a southpaw, lol.

15. LawOfEye

LawOfEye Valued Member

as i natural lefty i say box both . if you learn left first the transition is wayy easier . and if you can box right from a left stance and vice versa , it throws a lot of people off . i use boxing against one of my karate friends and just the stance makes him have to re-think his moves . another good move is to start out right , then once the first blow is thrown switch and fight from the left then return . once you get your hands right , the footwork is nothing , and it's just practice from there .