Training material

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by wakaba, Sep 5, 2020.

1. Flying Crane

Flying Crane Well-Known Member

Well, San Francisco would offer you a huge, supportive community as a transgirl. I doubt there is anywhere else like it. If you get into the community there, I’m sure people could help with connections like housing and jobs and stuff. Of course Covid is screwing everything up and jobs may be hard to come by for a long time, and it is just sooooo expensive. That’s why we finally moved away about a year ago, we decided it was time for a new start, where it’s not so expensive. We are in the Sacramento area now, but still trying to get stable employment. My wife was born and raised in San Francisco, Ive been living in The Bay Area since 1994. Finally had to leave.

Are any martial arts clubs connected to the college in Grand Forks? Maybe even P.E. Classes that you could take? Might find someone on campus who is part of the faculty, or a student who simply wants training partners or is willing to teach or has a campus club going? Those might expand the opportunities beyond the stable three schools.

If you start making inquiries in the greater community, you might find someone who just practices in his/her back yard and isn’t connected to the main commercial schools, who might be willing to teach. Those people are out there. I’m one of them, in my community. Was going to get a group started, but then Covid happened.

wakaba likes this.
  2. wakaba

wakaba Valued Member

I think San Fran would overload this sensitive girl haha.
    Ok, how would I go about making inquiries? I guess I wouldn't know where to start.

3. Flying Crane

I think you would love San Francisco. It is a wonderful city, with wonderful people.

I would start with the university. Check class listings for P.E. And get a list of clubs and club sports to see if there are martial arts offerings. If you find anything there, those might also be contacts to ask about people in the community who might not be advertising. They might be otherwise connected to the university and could be outgrowth from University clubs or PE classes.

If there are no PE courses and no clubs, then maybe the university has a venue in which you can post inquiries about such things? In search of martial arts training opportunities, etc.

Grand Forks is around 60,000 people, seems there could be someone somewhere.

wakaba likes this.
  4. wakaba

wakaba Valued Member

Ok, I will try that, thanks :)

Flying Crane likes this.
  5. Flying Crane

Most welcome. Let us know what you find.

wakaba likes this.
  6. Flying Crane

Another idea that I should have thought of right away, go into Nextdoor.com if you haven’t already. It is an online community organized by city and neighborhood, and you have to be a resident of the city or neighborhood to be a member. People use it as a discussion board for local issues, garage sales, services that their neighbors and community may offer, etc.

Post that you are looking for martial arts instruction and the commercial schools in the area just don’t seem to be the right place for you, or a good match for you. See if anyone else in the area is able to offer private instruction (might not be viable until after Covid, but an outdoor meeting in a park could be an option, keeping distance from each other). If you get a response then see where it goes. If you don’t get a response, then post again every few weeks. It might take a while for the right person to see it. I don’t always read the posts in my Nextdoor neighborhood and I could certainly miss posts, I imagine it would be the same for others.

wakaba likes this.