Training in the Philippines: how to?

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by salami, Apr 26, 2006.

1. glenchuy

glenchuy has two left feet

if you guys need good

1.) boxing
    2.) kickboxing
    3.) taekwondo
    4.) MJJ

gyms/instructors, i can personally recommend you to some national team members who do freelance coaching work. just pm me if you want details like date, time, when you're actually going to be in the phils.

also i'm from manila, would be glad to show you around during the weekends, plus map out the um... er... um... clubs you can visit. plus! you don't have to buy me beer since i don't drink!

personal instructors will go for about uh... $10US for 2 hours session. (1 on 1) and about $4 for a 2 hour session (class). i really don't recommend going to "class" if you're an advanced as you'll probably learn next to nothing except get a good cardio workout.

and oh yeah, you might want to catch a live show of URCC (the philippines equivalent to UFC). i don't exactly know the regulations in fighting in URCC since i have no intention of going pro- but if you're good enough, you might want to give it a shot just for experience, and of course, for tv time!

2. glenchuy

accomodations are damn cheap if you're not too picky. if you're staying in a deluxe hotel, it's obviously going to be mighty dang expensive. if you're fine staying in a 3-star hotel, it should cost you no more than $25 a day for accomodations, plus $2 to $5 for every meal if you're into fastfood, or $10 to $20 for semi-fine dine, and $30 up for fine dining. again, i can recommend fantabulustic restos and bars. if you're staying for about a month, there's a good book found in leading bookstores which features about 500 restaurants within metro-manila, including price ranges, and the chef's recommendation.

... hmm... this is actually sounding more like a vacation rather than a trip to train MA :p

3. shootodog

shootodog restless native

i think he was asking about filipino martial arts i.e. arnis, kali, escrima, silat, yawyan and the like.

btw, what is mjj?

urcc takes quite a time to enter. first there's the screening, then you have to get your gab (games and amusement board) license to fight. plus it is my personal opinion that you have to have a fight focused training to fight in events like urcc and fearless. in most fighting gyms here in manila it takes three months of this, at least.

Last edited: May 10, 2006
  4. burungkol

burungkol Team Yaw-Yan

i agree, after the qualifying matches, for urcc (actually its more like PrideFC..... fearless is for UFC's equivalent) you'd have to wait at least six months to a full year before your scheduled fight.

then again, for FMA, things are getting busy over here such as FMA festivals, world tournaments, invitationals, and such... almost everyone is welcomed ang highly encouraged to join.

5. glenchuy

i stopped doing escrima 4 or 5 years ago so count me out on that one. doesn't alvin aguilar's camp teach yawyan?

machado jjitsu

thanks for the info! i had no idea about the requirements until now!

6. shootodog

are you with stephen kamphius? at the wack wack school? btw, machado still goes under the generic banner of bjj: brazilian jiu-jitsu (or as some noted brazilian bjj teacher says "zhoo zitsoo").

7. kruzada

kruzada Valued Member

8. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

The first rule of thumb for training in the Philippines is you have to go there;) and if you get the cahnce to go to this Festival you would make me jealous.

Best regards

Pat

9. Joestaffie

Joestaffie New Member

Im lucky enough to be going out to the FMA festival in July :) ,THis will be my first trip to the Phillipines has anyone got any tips on things to do and not to do.Also are any other of you guys likely to be out there at the festival

All the best
    Dean

10. Brunstick

Brunstick (^_^) I need a girlfriend

I got one tip for you. Do not drink tap water! always buy bottled water.

-nico-

11. Joestaffie

Joestaffie New Member

Thanks for the tip,Ive been told to be carefull what I eat also,although I`ll try any food once I dont want to spend Two weeks sitting on the toilet.Im sure it will be a great trip one way or another,just wish I was a little fitter,still Im sure to sweat a few lbs of :)

12. kruzada

kruzada Valued Member

There is a video preview for the 3rd FMA Festival here
    http://www.fmadigest.com/

Look for the link below the subscription form, on the right.

13. malcolmk

malcolmk Valued Member

training in cebu

Hi, if you only have a limited time for training then I would suggest training balintawak, in my opinion ( and its only my opinion ) it is so quick to give results because the training is one to one and you are actively blocking and countering random attack from the first or second lesson. Obviously it depnds on the individual but I would certainly recommend Nick Elizar and his group in Cebu for quality training, you can find out a whole lot of info about Nick and his balintawak style at http://homepage.ntlworld.com/malcolmk/ Also you have Diony Canete ( Doce Pares ) nearby and he will certainly give any visitor a warm welcome.
    Go and enjoy.
    :D

14. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Well if your going to the Festival then I am jealous, say hello to Brother Rey Dominguez for me.

All I can say is you will have a whole host of instructors and styles to choose from at the festival, if you get the chance train with as many as you can, pick one you like and go for it. Remember not all styles or instructors are suited to everyone, each to his own as they say. They all teach FMA in their own unique ways and one of those ways will be better suited to you. and aonly you will know which is best for you.

The most important thing is to smile and have fun you lucky devil and you will not be dissapointed.

If you get the chance to go to Cebu then you have to drop by to see GM Dionisio Canete, he is the one of the most knowledgable Masters I have had the privalledge to train with. Ask him to show you the old style Espada 'y' Daga with it's low stances, killer on the legs but once you get the hang of it you understand why those stances are so effective in this style.:D

Best regards

Pat

15. BatongBuhay

BatongBuhay Valued Member

hello!

if you're planning to stay in a posh hotel i can recommend the hotel intercontinental... REDCORNER FITNESS and BOXING CLUB manages the hotel's GYM where i handle the FMA program. the gym facilities and poolside are free for hotel guests... i can even get you permission to bring in the instructor you contacted for training...

we can even invite the other local FMA'ers along if you want to meet them, that way you dont have to be alone :D

PG Hufana got the same courtesy last time he was here :D

Same invite goes to anyone who's interested in coming over :cool:

16. Joestaffie

Joestaffie New Member

Thank you all for the kind advice,I will let you know how I got on when I get back( In one piece I hope)

17. Amok

Amok Valued Member

If we're not hotel guests, can we use the facilities and how much?

18. shootodog

from what i know, red corner is open to everyone.

19. Amok

Amok Valued Member

any artista's work out there?

20. ptkalista

ptkalista Banned Banned

The sun always shines in the Philippines when the Filipino blade is let out to cut and slash the flesh of its enemies. Always go to where the sun shines more than once. :woo: