Training in Nottingham, UK

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by grepskill, Mar 16, 2015.

1. grepskill

grepskill New Member

I'm interested in training in M/A again, but not sure what I can do.

There's a lot of places around, but I'd ideally prefer a referral than just google (an actual person recommending is worth more to me than someones' SEO skills)

I have a condition called Fibromyalgia which results in my joints and body being very sore all the time and makes Martial Arts a bit more difficult! I used to play hockey but had to stop because I couldn't take time out because it being a team game I couldn't take things at my own pace which is what I kind-of need.

For anyone interested, my condition is basically Arthritis in my joints, alongside with hypermobility and depression - So all in all not great!

I'm looking for something to help me get into shape, history/tradition is always nice. I'm not overly concerned with what's effective for self defence but if it's there that's a bonus. Competition is something I have a strong interest in due to it being my nature.

As with most people now-a-days money is tight, so something perhaps that is at a local sports centre rather than a full-time place (where I have known prices be anywhere from £60 to £180 a month)

Any help greatly appreciated - and sorry if there's anything wrong/bad in my initial post!

Thanks!

2. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

sis in law has it and did well with karate, so for a very similar experience you could contact mitch here on map, as he teaches tkd in nottingham (and is also an awesome guy :D)

3. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I'd second the bit about Mitch. He's based in Nottingham, and even if his own class wasn't a good fit for you for some reason, he'll probably be able to give you some good advice about other stuff available in the area. And Mitch's advice won't be BS.

4. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

I think there might be regular Baguazhang classes in Nottingham. The lineage is legit and I know people have found Taijichuan very helpful with Arthritis pain.

http://maguibaguauk.webs.com/classes.htm

If you can find a good Taijichaun class in Nottingham I'd recommend that too. One that studies both health and martial aspects.

5. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

6. grepskill

grepskill New Member

Thanks for the advice guys! I can't PM yet, so I'll have to live in hope Mitch makes his way to this post and messages me :D

7. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

You rang? :)

We did chat a while ago I think? My classes were too far out (Southwell) as I remember?

Any particular arts take your fancy?

Mitch

8. grepskill

grepskill New Member

Yes, I found your email which I mailed you :hat:

Open to suggestions really, as I say prefer recommendations, probably something more kick/punch based rather than grappling, thinking that may not be overly great for my arthritis issues

9. Mitch

Hmm, not sure, grappling might actually be better due to less impact? You know your condition, though, obviously.

Unreal Combat here on MAP teaches Thai Boxing/K1 at Hooded Arts on Carlton Road. There used to be Kyokushin out towards Beeston, if you google it there's a website that lists clubs, but it's a long time since I contacted them.

There's Kyokushin in Bestwood too if that's something you fancy.

Otherwise I'd likely recommend my Instructor but I know you didn't want to go down that route.

Whereabouts would be most convenient for you?

Mitch

10. grepskill

grepskill New Member

Thanks :) - Well, I assumed grappling would be worse, due to hearing about people getting issues with their fingers from grabbing the gi etc?

Nottingham Town Centre and around would be brilliant - I'm about 15 minutes away from Nottingham Town Centre, so the immediate areas are great.

11. Fish Of Doom

UC's muay thai is excellent, but i don't quite think jumping straight into a combat sport is a good idea for a fibromite :p (it would be supremely interesting to see if gradual progression brings you to a point where you can tolerate the impacts with minimal flareups).

12. grepskill

grepskill New Member

Haha, I did consider that. Though perhaps it would depend on how slowly I could start with the whole getting punched in the face side of things.

13. Fish Of Doom

probably, and for that i think the striking will be better than the grappling, as it's easier to control a strike than it is to fall slowly :p

14. Mitch

BJJ might be worth considering? Less impact as more ground based, you can even train no gi so fingers may be saved. Victor Estima teaches in Nottingham on Radford Boulevard, and you can't get much better than him.

Mitch

15. Mitch

I see Ros lurking so we'd better mention awesome Enshin, but that's down in Loughborough.

Mitch

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  16. grepskill

grepskill New Member

17. Mitch

That's the one. Also try Bushido on Roden street, they do MMA and BJJ.

18. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

The only thing I'd add to what Mitch said is if you are going to grapple, try no-gi. Gripping gi's can cause a lot of wear and tear on the joints in your hands.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9487650

The only drawback with no-gi is if you like getting belts etc.... most places won't let you grade unless you do gi.

19. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

Also, has the OP considered a weapon based martial art? Like some of the FMA? Let the sticks and stones take the damage for you and save your joints.

20. Mitch

Good call!

I think there is some kendo in Nottingham if that's of interest grepskill. If not I can try and track down FMA for you, I think there is some balintawak escrima around somewhere.

Mitch