Training in heat

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Southpaw535, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Jjf88

Jjf88 Valued Member

Just thought I'd pop in and say I don't think you should train with other men/women whilst horny Southy. Just my thoughts :evil:

2. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I was waiting for that joke! Suprisingly after a few months having someones balls in my face stopped bothering me but I am considering getting my girlfriend to work some guard

3. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Smilies are your friend :)

We all get it wrong dude, I'm sure I come across as patronising and arrogant sometimes and I genuinely don't mean to, I love the community we have here and only want to see it grow.

Don't sweat it, just take it on board and move on, and kick me when I'm doing the same thing :)

Mitch

4. Mitch

Back on topic, I tell my students that the sign of a good session is that you're so tired and sweaty afterwards that you can't tell if you've sweated so much or you've just wet yourself. :D

Mitch

5. Southpaw535

What if after you can perform deadlifts with your rashguard?

6. Master Betty

Master Betty Banned Banned

I think its a valid point to make that your body can and does adapt. that if you train in a high temperature you'l sweat more, lose fats minerlas and salts (yes your body NEEDS some fats) faster and generally find it harder to concentrate. Now this has no negatives in any way shape or form because as long as you're keeping your mineral content high, rehydrating, as slip says, steadily and constantly then the only downside is the concentration. You get used to it eventually and what that means is that when your fighting (say in the ring because thats my main experience) then you won't be as distracted by the feeling of having a high body temperature.

Now thats all WAAAYY over simplified but the bottom line is this: your body and your mind adapt. I'm not one to advocate stupid conditioning theories like block breaking etc because I'm aware of the beneftis... and the tradeoffs. The long and short of it is that training regularly under those conditions will improve your body's ability to perform in similar conditions. I wont get into details about the hows and whys but thats what it all really boils down to.

Besides training in a high temperature environment means you're less likely to suffer some sort of muscular injury.

7. Master Betty

Training in the extreme cold does make you burn more calories faster. However I've found that, for myself, the heat for training is better. Mainly because I'm from scotland and it never really gets hot but gets damn cold in the winters. I work outside and I find that if I'm doing a lot of overtime, not getting time to train and as a result of said overtime, eating a lot of crap, i actually LOSE weight simply by being outside and doing sme physical work that I wouldn't consider exactly "back breaking".

generally speaking I look forward to this because after christmas I'm at my leanest and meanest - despite eating all the crap. I work outside in the cold all day then train like a beast in the heat and humidity of my gyms horrible little bulding :-D

8. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

Fixed it for you :D :D :D

Please don't kill me...

9. Llamageddon

I gotta say I love training in heat. I mean, I don't when we start. Not in a 14oz canvas gi, that's for sure. Just standing around in those things in the heat makes me sweat!

But when we get going, and the sweat is getting in to my eyes I love it. When it's hot I don't feel like I'm working if I don't have to wipe my face every couple of minutes. And in the end it's just one more barrier to power through and give the finger, isn't it?

10. Mitch

RWOOOOOAAAAAAARRRRRR!

Scampers away and hides :)

Mitch

11. Southpaw535

Exactly how I feel llama but you shouldnt hate it at the start you should just be happy your in the dojo. I'm on my break from college and the weekend is just days delaying me getting back in the gym

12. Llamageddon

It's only the heat I hate, never the training

13. Southpaw535

My post was missing a smiley it looks too serious

14. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

i hate the belief that anything unpleasant is 'conditioning'
    just stupidity.

15. Southpaw535

No it wasnt "oh this isn't very nice it must be good for me!!" I thought it might make sense if being made to work in an environment where I'm breathing harder would improve cardio so I asked. Its not like I asked if training in a snake pit would be good for me

By the way why is "Southpaw's rash" a tag for this?

16. Master Betty

Comnditioning of the sort practiced by a lot of TMAs is just silly in the modern day. Training in the heat is something totally different altogether - for the reasons stated.

17. Aikidojomofo

Aikidojomofo Valued Member

As hard as I find it, I am a fan of training in heat

Our Dojo is in the roof of an old red brick victorian building, the sun hits it all days so it's like a damn kiln by the time we get there in the evening. Oh, and as it doubles as a community centre it has been the victim to the odd break-in so the powers that be decided to nail all the windows shut. no through draft for us. There is on tiny fan wheezing away in the corner but it just pushes the hot air aound, making it worse to be honest.

About and hour into training the room reached similar temperatures as found on the surface of the sun so we've added a quick water break to training. Then we power through the next hour

Thanks to this heatwave the UK's been enjoying I have lost a fair few pounds. I could probably fill a pint glass just by wringing out my Dogi

I think whatever pushes you to work your body harder can only be a good thing for training. I know the heat is getting me fitter

18. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

Heat knocks the poop out of me. I have a really high tolerance for the cold, but heat...nope.

I already have to eat a whole moloch-load of salt before heavy exercise, or I'll end up with blurred vision and dizziness. And that is in normal not high heat.

19. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

This is a good point. IMHO the only one which really justifies training at high temporatures if it can be avoided.

20. Southpaw535

There was something I was told at bjj yesterday about thai boxers training on rooms that are deliberately made to generate as much heat as possible so when they're fighting it feels cool