Training in heat

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Southpaw535, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Ranzan

Ranzan Valued Member

Well than that is why we don't pay attention to your petty crap. No proof just someones word. Internet is different than face to face people can bs you pretty easily which in turn makes us want to have proof of claims that seem outlandish or different.

2. tkd GU

tkd GU Valued Member

Okay then. I'll shut up when everybody else who gave input on this thread backs their claims with proof. Your totally right. Nobody's word is worth anything without hard proof. I guess that means you better get on slip's and kuma's case about not citing their work.:rolleyes:

3. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

While I think your post makes more sense to me I know Slip and Kuma are both well learned in these things. I dont like using that excuse but its true

4. Ranzan

Ranzan Valued Member

Kuma and slip have proven themselves time and time again. Great upstanding members on this forum. You are the other hand seem like a arrogant little child.

5. tkd GU

tkd GU Valued Member

It's okay. I understand that anybody who says something that deviates from the gerneral consensus is always going to take heat. I just think it's bogus for anybody to say there's no value in training in the heat and I think kuma's and slip's reputations as knowledgeable individuals is the only reason everybody is so fast to shoot me down.. I just don't happen to feel strongly enough to go search tirelessly on the internet to satisfy ranzan's demands for 'proof.'

6. Ranzan

Ranzan Valued Member

Before we get out of hand, all I did was ask for something to back your claim up other than

I believe you got you panties in a bunch when no one payed attention to you. Which is why I called you a child. If you have any evidence to back your claim up by all means post it. It would be a great addition to this thread.

7. tkd GU

tkd GU Valued Member

I hope you're not accusing me of being the only arrogant one here. I mean, just look at your signature. That's an arrogant way of thinking if I've ever seen one. I totally get that you won't listen to me unless I back it up, so I'll keep that in mind in the future. It's just not gonna happen for this particular thread. I don't think it takes a genius to figure out that training in the heat will make you stronger physically and mentally.

8. tkd GU

tkd GU Valued Member

9. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

You're not getting heat for deviating from the consensus, you only got any reaction after the post about disregarding your input.

If you were in the pub with mates or in any conversational situation, especially with people you don't know that well, saying something like that would make people look at you oddly. Think about it, it comes across as very immature.

I'm not saying you are, I'm not saying you're wrong, but I am saying that a post that could be read as someone stamping their foot and shouting, "Everyone listen to me!" is not going to endear you to people on a discussion board.

Mitch

10. Ranzan

Ranzan Valued Member

So you consider comedy arrogance? A little narrow minded don't you think lol. I am atheist, so I don't have a god nothing for me to be arrogant about by using this signature.

11. Ranzan

Ranzan Valued Member

12. tkd GU

tkd GU Valued Member

Actually, I think the problem comes mostly from the fact that we cannot express non-verbal cues on a web forum and I'm lacking a little in the 'behaving normal for strangers' department. If we actually had this conversation in a bar, I don't think it would have gone where it did.

13. tkd GU

tkd GU Valued Member

Hey man, you don't think it's possible that I was also trying to be humorous with my over-whineyness? I think more than one of us is guilty of being a little unreasonable on this thread.

14. SpikeD

SpikeD At the Frankenstein Place

Sorry, I wasn't trying to offend, I guess i'm just getting jaded in my early-middle age. :hat:
    On the topic of heat training I cannot stand it. I've heard numerous times by folk who have holidayed or worked abroad that the 'heat here is different'. I don't know how much truth there is in that but all i can say is that when it is 26 degrees plus i can't be bothered to do anything let alone a two hour session in a 20'x20' room with 15 other people. I do train btw i just hate it. Luckily my main weekly session has a good AC unit.

It also has the added bonus that when the mothers come in to pick up their kids, the sudden temperature change causes a physiological reaction to happen that is noticable through the thin summer tops that they are wearing. :evil: I praise the AC inventor on a yearly basis. :cool:

15. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

I've trained in all temperatures at various places. Personally I've been told training in the cold burns more calaries, forces your body to work harder etc etc. With extreme heat you lose weight easier and get better at resisting dehydration etc etc.

Personally I hate both. I find training in the heat horrible, I sweat crazy amounts, often feel dizzy and find I'm significantly less explosive than I usually am.

I've trained for years at clubs that were hot in summer so its not something I'm going to ever get used to. And I drink as much water as I possibly can, pretty much whatever the temperature!

When I train I want a decent temporature, not too hot, not too cold. Training tough enough without sweating before you even begin IMHO.

16. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

I used to put in roadwork several times a week out in the Middle East where the temperatures were often over 100 degrees and do dismounted patrols in that same heat wearing close to 100 pounds of gear. I think I can handle a little heat. However, despite doing my daily runs, my run time when I returned to NC was right about the same as it was when I left, actually a little less since it was cold and I was cramping up a bit (and by cold, I mean like 70+ degrees).

I'm saying it's not going to be the same. You're talking someone's word (a Ph.D. in what, by the way?) over actual fact.

We're usually given a couple weeks depending on what the mission requires and how much time in between. I remember after my first deployment being in San Diego in nice weather wearing a hoodie and jeans because I was freezing my butt off.

17. Southpaw535

No worries mate I wasn't offended at all and I wasn't sure if my reply would come across like that it was just me not wanting to leave doubts about that but I didnt take any offence and I wasn't having a go in reply :cool:

Looking at all the posts heat training is just a pain in the ass by concensus but I'm worried what it says about me that I loved feeling completely destroyed the day after. Masochistic maybe?
    Wouldn't sweating more cause you to lose calories too?

18. Southpaw535

I take back not feeling cold :D

19. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I would think that it would being that a calorie is a unit of heat.

1 calorie is the amount of energy it takes to raise the heat of 1 gramme of water by 1 degree.

That said it was mentioned earlier that cold weather burns calories faster. This is because the body is forced to burn calories for heat (the energy of calories being given up as heat).

Hope that makes sense.

20. Southpaw535

Perfect sense thanks for that simon