Training - How Many Times per week at a club?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by lukestkd, Jan 18, 2006.

1. lukestkd

lukestkd New Member

Hi everyone,
    would like some peoples views on this, how often do you train a week at your club and in which style,
    and if given the choice would you prefer to train once or twice per week?
    many thanks

2. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

i train 4-5 times a week at my club for a 2-3 hours- if i miss training ill go to the boxing studio at the gym across the road (unless its by injury of course)

i wouldnt want to train 1-2 times a week. i cant sleep if i havent expended all my energy during the day

3. brahman

brahman Banned Banned

as for as physically exerting yourself, i would say once maybe twice. but if you have the time. go 3-4 times a week. if you can go 4 times a week i would ony train really hard once a week and take it easy the rest. but then again it depends on what you do. if you are a boxer or sport BJJ it might be a little harder to take it lightly.

4. Crimson_Stone

Crimson_Stone Stay Puft

I try to catch all 8 classes per week at the dojo. I also like to spen 1-2 hours a day in personal practice.

One should always strive to put forth their best effort, especially for martial arts training.

5. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

I usually go to 3 2-hour jook lum classes a week, and 3 2-hour BJJ classes a week, plus I have a mixed group that meets 4 days a week for an hour, which I make as often as possible.

6. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

down to 6 hours a week. i was doing 10, but between my health and my sanity i decided to take it down a notch. 6 hours is enough, IMO.

7. Kyouretsu

Kyouretsu New Member

I train in ju jitsu... three times a week - 2 nights a week for 1½ hours each, and Saturday mornings for 2 hours.
    I would love to train more, but my eight year old trains in Judo two nights a week as well, and I have two more children at home that need some attention too!

8. Beefcake

Beefcake New Member

Karate twice a week for 1.5 hours a time.

Boxing twice a week for 2 hours a time.

Would like to do more karate a week but living in a moderate size town i have no choice really.

9. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

Taekwondo = 4 times a week (4hrs)
    Boxing = once a week (1.5hrs)

10. PlumDragon

PlumDragon "I am your evil stimulus"

6-7 hours a week of jook lum
    2 hours a week of Kali (1 is spent standing up, 1 is spent on the ground)
    I try to get together with people to work on stuff whenever possible as well, and do lots of solo work outside of class.

Im about to start preparing for a testing to get to the point to teach the beginning section in Kali so Im trying to bump up my Kali time a bit.

11. kall

kall New Member

Shorin-Ryu twice a week 1.5-2 hours each. I wouldn't mind one more day but unfortunatly thats all that is offered.

Kall

12. Topher

Topher allo!

I do about 2 Wing Chun classes (4hrs). Another one is opening not to far from me so i guess i might start a 3rd class. If i was able to make all the classes i could technically train every day.

13. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

I train for 4 hours a week (2 x 2 hour sessions). I used to train 6 hours a week, with one of the sessions being at a different club. I stopped training there because it was getting dangerous and I was getting sick of the low standards there.

I would happily train 6 or 8 hours a week at my main club. Unfortunately I doubt the school whose hall we use would be happy :(

14. Bil Gee

Bil Gee Thug

Three to four times a week, sessions vary in length between 2 and 3 hours (wing chun).
    Once every couple of months there's usually a full day weekend seminar that I'll attend.
    Try to train for 30-60 minutes a day when I'm not in class.

15. shadow joe

shadow joe seeker of truth

5 days a week, but then again, i work there.

I do the classes the head instructor offers and provide support to the people there by working out with different people throughout the night.

I think training should be taken seriously and I partake in at least 2 hours a day of practice whether it's at the gym in class or on my own.

16. ZenPixelTKD

ZenPixelTKD not just a natural blonde

I train in formal classes 3 times a week,
    I train with some of the other black belts most weekends.
    By myself at the gym, up to 4 times a week.
    All up I spend about 12 hours a week training.

No wonder I never have time to do any housework!

17. IrishStomp

IrishStomp Valued Member

Muay thai 4-5 times a week, between 2.5-4.5 hours each time. BJJ usually 4 times a week 1.5-2 hours per time.

18. builder777

builder777 New Member

Wing Chun, Tai Chi, Ba Gua, Qi Gong, mixed and various, total 5 or 6 days a week regular, with once a week 1/2 hour private lesson.

Plus 45 min a day training in my home studio, also two miles a day, heavey bag, kettleball, and swiss ball work out 3 times a week.

I usually take one day a week off pretty much completely, and one or two recovery days between the real heavy workouts.

I like Tai Chi and BaGua daily though, it's pretty easy on the body and seems to get the juices flowing... Best for me in the mornings...

No, i personally wouldn't like only one or two training sessions a week...

19. JayKayD

JayKayD Meet my friend PAIN!

Judo three times a week and Muay Thai twice a week. Plus, gym three times (at least) and running 4 times a week.

20. brahman

brahman Banned Banned

wow 10 a week thats impressive.