Training Help

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Melanie, Jul 18, 2002.

1. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

Hi

As you would expect training is getting more and more advanced each week in our class of Arnis and I seem to have a few problems with the disarms. I am not doing Arnis for grading, which I don't mind at all - I do it merely for fun - but we only get one chance to train a week. Only for an hour on a wednesday. Unfortunately none of my class mates live near me and doing disarms is very difficult to practice at home alone. For some reason I have this mental block about disarms and wondered if anyone could either recommend a book, video or memory tactics of some description to aid my training in this area.

Thanks.

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Hi Melanie

If you can describe some of the disarms you're having trouble with I can probably help tweak them a little.

3. stump

stump Supersub

Hi Mel,

I had the same problem when I started FMA and got around it (sorta!) by using the numbering system...use disarm 1 to disarm strike 1, 2 for strike 2 etc which most styles of Arnis tend to use i think. Then by trying to recreate the movement without a partner and flowing one into the other using different combinations (1 then 2, 2 then 1 etc) it's a good way to actively practise them on your own.

Before that stage if you need a reference why not write a description of them yourself at training and use this when you're practising alone?

Afraid I don't know of any helpful books or videos in this area but I'm sure ome of the senior guys here will be able to help you ith that.

hope these help,

Colin

4. YODA

I can help you build a training dummy for FMA practice - simple & has all sorts of drills you can work, including disarms. all you need is...

A 3" x 7' fence post
    An old tire
    An old stick
    An old belt

5. Rowlie

Rowlie New Member

Melanie - asking for books/videos is a big mistake - you'll get really good and then I won't stand a chance!

Actually, Zoltan has recommended a book on Modern Arnis but I've lost that e-mail. Lose my own head...

6. rick_nz

rick_nz Valued Member

hi there Yoda, i would be very interested on how you make a training dummy for FMA practice,the only equipment i have are tires,so having a training dummy wiould help my blocks & counters,

regards rick

7. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

hello Mel,
    tho i don't practice FMA but i do some of disarmings with sticks/cane n knife's normally when i m stuck i just try to visualise my oppnt...n go throught the complete movement again n again...
    visualising does help ...
    try it...
    hope that helps...
    -TkdWarrior-

8. stickgirl

stickgirl Valued Member

Hiya
    The important thing to remember with the disarms are that they are normally incidental. The best disarms happen when you are going for strikes rather than just concentrating soley on the disarm.
    To practise the technique side the best bet is a brother or sister (or a very understanding boyfriend) but if you do have a mental block, try thinking of moving the arms in circles. esp with back hand strikes i.e snaking the hand.
    The best way to remember movements for arnis is triangles for the feet and circles for the hands.
    Hope that helps
    luv stickgirl

9. HKD

HKD New Member

do they call you stick girl cuz your so skinny?

10. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

Hi Mel:

There several books you can check out that aren't bad. The first is Modern Arnis by Remy Presas. The second would be Filipino Martial Arts by Mark Wiley. Wiley's book is based on the Angel Cabales system of Serrada Escrima. The last book would be The Secrets of Giron Arnis Escrima, by Antonio E. Somera. Both the Wiley and Somera book is published by the Charles E. Tuttle Company.

These books may help you in your training!! Good Luck:)

11. stickgirl

stickgirl Valued Member

hkd
    I wish!!
    its because i have all the personality of a piece of wood.

luv
    stickgirl

12. darlph

darlph New Member

stickgirl, you must have personality to accept a nickname.. Your friends and co martial artist must like you to name you:)

13. stickgirl

stickgirl Valued Member

Hiya Darlph

You would think so, but if only that were the case.

I try to be nice but all they do is hit me with sticks and beat me up. i just dont know where i went wrong. and the worse bit is im paying for them to do it.
    Doh!!

:)

14. darlph

darlph New Member

Girl, me thinks you better start taking those sticks with you everywhere and make them your best friends. Make them a part of you so that their movement is your movement. My good friend Jimmy, once told me to know your weapon as well as you know your self. He was an ex-beret and involved in overseas activitites in the late 60's-late70's. It is a matter of survival. When you sit watching t.v. They should be in your hands. That's how he began to teach me nunchaks, and sai. (The numchaks were not my friend but the sai still are.) Good luck and by the way, don't forget that being nice won't help the bruises. Give them some to remember you by.:)

15. Acekicken

Acekicken Submission Fighter

1st Which Arnis Group do U belong 2

There are Many Styels this i know
    But Most are verry simalar.

If U are Part of Modern Arnis
    Then Datu Hartman Has Videos of him Self
    & Remy showing Disarms.

If U Look up Warriors Den on the web
    He can be contacted through Or Look Up WMAA{worl moder arnis alliance}
    :D

16. Deep

Deep New Member

Very interested in the blueprint for the practice dummy. My instructor is a Grandmaster in Largo Mano Arnis. I work the 7p-7a shift in the ER and often have to train alone. Also does anyone have a link to the footwork drills on Yodas site? I have heard of them but yet to find a link.

17. sercuerdasfight

sercuerdasfight Valued Member

there is a big element of feel involved in disarms . you'll find people tend to pick up on certian ones which they "get". they will come in time keep working. until then remeber the best disarm, hit his hand, if he doesn't drop his weapon hit it harder.

18. YODA

I find hitting the head very hard with a big stick tends to weaken the grip also :D

19. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

Gold Star! Disarms in the class room teach coordination and flow. In the field they're a byproduct of a good strike. The focus should never try to force a weapons disarm (it's a great way to get blasted). Rather strike, strike and stike again. In that way it's the same as trying to joint lock someone.

Or as my Guro puts it:
    Here's how disarms with a machete or sword work... you hack the person and dis arm goes dere. Then you hack them again and dat arm goe dat way. (point to two different spots a couple feet away from the person he's working with).

- Matt

20. juramentado

juramentado lean, mean eating machine

Yup. Sounds like a Guro Doug quote, if I ever heard one :D

Yoda, how about posting a pic here of the FMA practice dummy?I'd like to see what it looks like and what you can do with it. The only practice dummy we use is a old tire tied to a tree and you just whack it to death.

as stickgirl said, disarms are often targets of opportunity. That's the way I was taught. If the chance of do it presents itself, then go for it but don't specifically try to achieve it, unless your practicing them.

our doctrine is to strike or cut the arm first and finish the encounter. The disarm is very much secondary. Which is in a way better coz disarms are indeed a bit complicated. Not studying them in details gives us more time to work on other things.